• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Revamped Music Room . . .

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
Well I'm half way there, revamp the music room/study, got rid of all the dross/clutter, it certainly makes a differeance, worth the cost and effort. I only pluged it all in late this afternoon, so I will be fine tuning, the room was very echoie empty, it apears that the minimalist approch . . . 'well almost minimalist' works, no need to worry about the corners, base is excelent. I have a couple of walls that intereact at very hi frequancies, a couple of canvas pictures with damping in the back should do the job?

Have a go with the Rega CDP and Rega Dac, tomorrow, 'hifi corner' needs a bit of shuffling to find an extra 10mm in width.

One thing I was suprised at on the Apollo CDP, there are two sharp self taping screws sticking through the botton of the metal box . . . 'very sharp', they stick through about 2mm! If I had not noticed, I could have cut mysel seriously, suprised H&S let Rega get away with this on a product sold to the public? Not inspected the Dac yet.

Listening to Hanns Theessink, 'Slow Train', amps just about at temperature now, its realy is sounding great in 'close field mode' . . . *lol*

CJSF
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
So we got down to fine tuning the hifi to the room on Saturday . . . *sad* ever wished you had never started something, going back wards as the day went on!!! Stop, give it a rest by mid afternoon, I do get humpy these days when things dont go right. Back at it in the evening, better but very aveage???

Slept on the problem, came down this morrning and went radical, speakers close to wall, no but I must have got inspired, with the reposition . . . I could hear something, slightly out of focus but it was there. A touch of angle in, a little more . . . *pardon* Thats it, spot on, looking at the old position, pre revamp, the spike holes indicate 5 or 6cm move backwards and 2cm wider each side, toe-in is very small. That aint much but it has made so much differance, I was at the point of thinking I got it all wrong . . . ?

Now we will start work with some blankets on sticks, see what we can do?

CJSF
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
Good to hear things are moving forward. Positioning of speakers can make a huge difference, as you've found.

Good luck going forward.

Matt
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
matt49 said:
Good to hear things are moving forward. Positioning of speakers can make a huge difference, as you've found.

Good luck going forward.

Matt
Hi Matt, I'm beginning to realise how inadequate I am, in my previous life, I used to sort the basics of this sort of thing out in minutes, a hand clap or two . . . the hands are to bent up to clap these days . . . *unknw*

Makes me wonder about other things I have done on TT's recently, lost it and not realised . . . ????????????

Perhaps the change of attention to Cd is prophetic . . . ?

CJSF
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
Attention to CD's has finaly paid off . . . We had our normal Horlicks hour last night, a little tweak first on the speaker positioning, just a few milimeter . . . I'm getting SQ I never dreamed of and the imaging is so close to that which I have been striving for for the past 3 years.

Imaging that I have not heard since the mid 80's when we moved house and away from my perfect listening room. Culminating last night in the CD, The Tallis Scholars 'Allegri Miserere' . . . Always a pleasure to listen to but missed out on the pressance of the vinyle in my previous life, even the vinyle played recently did not match my 80's memories.

I had been playing some old 50's and 60's music, never expecting much, they were sounding priety-dam-good . . . moved on to Spotify and some favourits in that play list, Hazel was sitting up listening, 'not going to sleep'! We often play the Sixteen singing 'Miserere' as an end of session relex then to bed. The Sixteen were sounding unusualy good . . . the phono valve pre-amp was switched off, so it was the CD version of Tallis Scholars and Miserere I pulled out. Could the digital side of my system realy have come to life? Of course it had, but I was doubting my ears . . . 'never doubt what you hear'*acute*

Hazel still wide awake . . . we listened, we were sitting in Merton College Chapel, Oxford, listening to the most wonderful sound. I switched off the lights, its how I used to listen to Miserere in my previous life. Perfection . . . width, hight, depth with all the accoustics of the chapel, just as I remember, all there . . .

An OTT description you may think, I can only tell what I heard, what my ears tell me.

This is only CD, the vinyl is packed away in the corner at the moment I have no idea where the vinyle copies are, yes I have 3, one, my original bought from Smiths in the early 80's is totaly worn out but its still stays in its rightfull place in my collection.

I'm not changing my mind over my love of vinyl, but I am being practical. Digital music is here to stay, I have found a quality that is acceptable, one will make the best of it, with the occasional vinyle treat mixed in . . . as I always have done in this my new life.

CJSF
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
That's great news.

In an ideal world, there would be room for both digital and vinyl. I prefer classical recordings on CD: they tend to be very well mastered, and CD delivers fantastic dynamic range. With a lot of rock/pop, especially during the loudness wars of the last 15 years or so, vinyl may well be preferable. Horses for courses.

Anyway, glad you're hearing CD giving of its best.

Matt
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
Hi Matt, I'm looking forward to the second phase of the music room sort out. It involves a redecorate of the living room, some new vinyle storage with a complete re file of all my vinyl. CD's are also to be sorted, my collection is not vast at around 500, but half of it is my late fathers classical collection, which I have not listened to. This new found quality is spuring me on to get the decorating finished. I hate decorating although I'm not bad at it if I set my mind to it, have Mum and Dad to thank for that, they were a realy good team and Dad showed me how to hang wall paper properly, always stood me in good stead. All a bit problomatic these days, with limited mobility but I get by.

Will soon be sorting out what I like and what is dross and enjoy . . . *preved*

CJSF
 

matt49

New member
Apr 7, 2013
51
0
0
I'm looking forward to hearing what you make of your father's classical collection. Should be a great adventure.

Matt
 

sheggs

New member
May 30, 2012
8
0
0
CJSF said:
So we got down to fine tuning the hifi to the room on Saturday . . . *sad* ever wished you had never started something, going back wards as the day went on!!! Stop, give it a rest by mid afternoon, I do get humpy these days when things dont go right. Back at it in the evening, better but very aveage???

Slept on the problem, came down this morrning and went radical, speakers close to wall, no but I must have got inspired, with the reposition . . . I could hear something, slightly out of focus but it was there. A touch of angle in, a little more . . . *pardon* Thats it, spot on, looking at the old position, pre revamp, the spike holes indicate 5 or 6cm move backwards and 2cm wider each side, toe-in is very small. That aint much but it has made so much differance, I was at the point of thinking I got it all wrong . . . ?

Now we will start work with some blankets on sticks, see what we can do?

CJSF
Yep repositioning can be really good. Ideally you are looking for -

Symmetry in the monitor position (lack of symmetry can really mess with your stereo imaging)

Push the monitors close to the front wall can avoid SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response) low frequency problems

Face the short wall

In a listening room, the secret is to acheive a sound that you are happy with, rather than what a text book may tell you. If you are experiencing flutter echo (most people still use the clap test to ascertian this) then you will need some acoustic panels. Flutter echo is created between any two flat, parallel surfaces. So it can also be between the ceiling and floor. When placing the panels make sure that you do not put them up opposite each other to gain maximum effect.

A canvas with insulation behind it will not work for flutter echo though unless they are art panels. Normal canvasses are printed onto the material and thus are reflective as the print is non porous. Art panels use dye sublimination and are therefore still acoustically transparent
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
sheggs said:
CJSF said:
So we got down to fine tuning the hifi to the room on Saturday . . . *sad* ever wished you had never started something, going back wards as the day went on!!! Stop, give it a rest by mid afternoon, I do get humpy these days when things dont go right. Back at it in the evening, better but very aveage???

Slept on the problem, came down this morrning and went radical, speakers close to wall, no but I must have got inspired, with the reposition . . . I could hear something, slightly out of focus but it was there. A touch of angle in, a little more . . . *pardon* Thats it, spot on, looking at the old position, pre revamp, the spike holes indicate 5 or 6cm move backwards and 2cm wider each side, toe-in is very small. That aint much but it has made so much differance, I was at the point of thinking I got it all wrong . . . ?

Now we will start work with some blankets on sticks, see what we can do?

CJSF
Yep repositioning can be really good. Ideally you are looking for -

Symmetry in the monitor position (lack of symmetry can really mess with your stereo imaging)

Push the monitors close to the front wall can avoid SBIR (Speaker Boundary Interference Response) low frequency problems

Face the short wall

In a listening room, the secret is to acheive a sound that you are happy with, rather than what a text book may tell you. If you are experiencing flutter echo (most people still use the clap test to ascertian this) then you will need some acoustic panels. Flutter echo is created between any two flat, parallel surfaces. So it can also be between the ceiling and floor. When placing the panels make sure that you do not put them up opposite each other to gain maximum effect.

A canvas with insulation behind it will not work for flutter echo though unless they are art panels. Normal canvasses are printed onto the material and thus are reflective as the print is non porous. Art panels use dye sublimination and are therefore still acoustically transparent
Thanks for that Sheggs, I have found a company that do 'Dye sublimation printing'. they describe the process as 'porous'. Need to put some blankets or duvets up first see where I can make a differance. Since I have installed the new furniture, the room has calmed down a lot, but still needs attention?

CJSF
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
Thanks Sheggs, being draged around Morrisons in a while . . . *fool*

See what I can do with the blankets this afternoon?

CJSF
 

CJSF

New member
May 25, 2011
251
0
0
CJSF said:
Thanks Sheggs, being draged around Morrisons in a while . . . *fool*

See what I can do with the blankets this afternoon?

CJSF
The vidio is good, sadly the 'domestic enviroment' never matches the 'ideal accustic requirements'. However I have just done the 'morror test', reflections were spot on where I will be giving my 'blanket tests', not so sure Hazel would appreciate big crosses on the wall marking the spot . . . *biggrin*

Thanks for the link Sheggs.

CJSF
 

sheggs

New member
May 30, 2012
8
0
0
CJSF said:
CJSF said:
Thanks Sheggs, being draged around Morrisons in a while . . . *fool*

See what I can do with the blankets this afternoon?

CJSF
The vidio is good, sadly the 'domestic enviroment' never matches the 'ideal accustic requirements'. However I have just done the 'morror test', reflections were spot on where I will be giving my 'blanket tests', not so sure Hazel would appreciate big crosses on the wall marking the spot . . . *biggrin*

Thanks for the link Sheggs.

CJSF
When it comes to first reflection points don;t forget that the very first of these can often be the ceiling as well
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts