returning to LPs. Newbie turnable and amp questions.

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Greetings all.

This is a fine forum, free of snark and full of great advice. I have spend a pleasureable evening or two reading through it. Thanks.

I have recently decided that I would like to get back into LPs. Consider it a mild midlife crisis, but the idea of rebuilding and curating a record collection seems like a brilliant antidote to the music on tap I get from spotify etc while on the road. Sitting down for 30 minutes or so and actively listening to a side of an LP, be Bach Goldberg variations, the Smiths or Bowie's spiders from Mars is rather appealing. Rooting through flea markets in quaint German villages for early neue deutsche welle will be fun too.

So my questions. Firstly: Looking at a getting a good basic turnable to start this journey. The pro-ject range looks great value for money, and gets great reviews here and elsewhere. I'm weighing up the Debut Carbon v the Essential II. I'd also consider other options in the 300-450 euro range, RP1 etc (I live in Germany). You might be able to convince me to spend a little more...

Secondly:

I have a NAD 3225 PE amp (20 years old), and I'm wondering if I should just use that to get started. It has a phono stage. And still works fine. If I was to look at something else, what would be the modern equivalent?

Thirdly:

I'll need to think about new speakers too...(I have a pair of JBL monitors paired with the 3225 for now).

All in, I'd stretch to 1000 euros to for turntable, amp and speakers.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
You could get classic Rotel Ra-10 as an amp, Monitor Audio Bronze Bx2 or Dali Zensor 3 speakers and Pro-ject debut carbon with ortofon red cartridge.

If you want digital integrated inputs and Dac you could get NAD D 3020 instead the Rotel.

in any case this could be a fine setup for your needs at

ittle over € 1000.

Hi Thomas, and welcome to the madness! The turntable section tends to be less snarky than anything on the main HiFi section about digital being perfect and cables sounding different. If you want a TT then you know that reproducing wavy plastic is fraught at times but rewarding too.

You cannot go wrong with Project. They are almost without exception well made a great value, especially if you get a discounted Ortofon thrown in. Personally, I'd just select the TT for now. Your old NAD will be fine.

Once you are happy with that, and whatever other sources you use, you can think about speakers. There is no substitute for listening to as many as you can, in shops, at shows, at friends, etc. I would seriously recommend only taking one step at a time.

There are dozens of threads about speakers, and reviews of many. In Europe, I'd be keen to see what prices the Danish and German brands cost, as Dynaudio, Dali and Elac are designs I like (esp Elac's 'ribbon' JET tweeter) but they are a bit costlier in the UK.

Good luck.

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

so two thumbs up for Pro-ject. great.

I like the idea of running the old NAD amp for a little while yet. Rotel will be on my list as a next step, but it means I can spend some money on LPS. I'd not thought about German speaker brands, good idea to investigate those. I was simply considering KEF, Q Acoustics etc, but you are right there are some strong German speaker brands too. I have a faustian deal with my wife, she is fine with new speakers in the lounge, as long as they are white.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
hybridauth_facebook_715217166 said:
Thanks for the advice.

I like the idea of running the old NAD amp for a little while yet. Rotel will be on my list as a next step, but it means I can spend some money on LPS. I'd not thought about German speaker brands, good idea to investigate those. I was simply considering KEF, Q Acoustics etc, but you are right there are some strong German speaker brands too. I have a faustian deal with my wife, she is fine with new speakers in the lounge, as long as they are white.

Tell her black is the new white

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

I had horrible experience with Q Acoustics service in general and 2020i model in particular. It is all well documentated here in Whathifi forum.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Get the best turntable you can justify, (or best over budget), you will not regret it. As you have a amp and speakers, why not look a little up market, something in the Rega 3 or equivalent Project. Your ears and your vinyl will thank you long term

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
okay, so I pulled the trigger on a pro-ject debut carbon espirit, taking Respe's advice to move up and destroy the budget.
It is very white, so at least it will match one investment criterion.

I'll update you good people once I have it set up and working. Thanks most kindly for the advice. I'll cross the speaker challenge at a later stage.

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

The pro-ject carbon rocks, looks great and sounds even better, once I figured out the assembly instructions. Both the English and German versions were less than useful. Actually I had to watch a youtube video. I almost missed unpacking the counterweight. So some newbie advice. Watch a set up video on youtube from an expert before you unpack the toy. The Henley folks have some good video.

The old NAD 3225 PE amp is behaving beautifully, hummed a bit at first but then settled down nicely.

I have been having fun on ebay and in the local vinyl shops. I'll let my record collection grow a bit, and then I'll get on the speaker mission (no pun intended). Kids are bemused but impressed with the whole vinyl thing.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I am pleased you are enjoying it. Vinyl replay is certainley one area of hi fi where spending more gives better results. Electronics, and digital can be done well on a tight budget, but vinyl replay still needs engineering, which unfortunatley has to be paid for.

aob9

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
okay, so I pulled the trigger on a pro-ject debut carbon espirit, taking Respe's advice to move up and destroy the budget. It is very white, so at least it will match one investment criterion.

I'll update you good people once I have it set up and working. Thanks most kindly for the advice. I'll cross the speaker challenge at a later stage.

I wonder ( given that we are discussing Rega and Pro-ject) how much a current entry level device compares to vintage turntables. I have a Pioneer Direct Drive PL 300 http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/pl300.html

Although it sounds good with a budget AT95e I found the voume is a good bit lower than all of my other devices connected to my Denon PMA 720 amp. The soundstage also appears to be a bit narrow. Of course it's possible that the electronics are aging. If I were to purchase a modern TT I would be doing so based on reviews as there is nowhere close to me where I can audition.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I also own very many old turntables: mid range Technics, Pioneer and Lenco then my Project Debut Carbon was a valuable upgrade for everything (with stock red Ortofon cartridge) but the fact I have to move the belt to change the speed :-( :-( :-(

BTW, if you are on a budget, you could try to change the cartridge before the turntable, then I can't see the point considering you can get a Debut Carbon with more than decent cartridge for pretty much the price of a medium to high level cartridge.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've just seen this thread, Ok you alrady got the TT, if you ever think to buy a new amp consider the Rega Brio R, new or a good condition used one! It has a built in phono input like NO other budget amp, i had one for two years and sold it to help paying my new amp upgrade, and there isn't a day that passes by that I don't regret.

Enjoy your new toy and your records!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts