Return Of An Old Friend

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
About 17 years ago I bought a (then) new Marantz CD 85SE ...after auditioning loads of other CD players I preferred the 85 because it sounded closer to the sound of vinyl than others I listened to (!) ....last year it finally bit the dust and I'd mourned it's departure ever since ...till last week .... ....When I spotted one for sale on ebay ......I just had to have my old friend back! ....I ended up paying £200 but it was in absolutely mint condition and looked hardly used...original box ..packaging ....etc ...and I still LOVE that smooth sound quality ..and the wooden sidecheeks ..and the sheer weight and the build quality and (sorry for the cliche') but they really don't build em' like that anymore (not for 200 smackaroos anyway!)

Mebbe's Marantz's big 2 box CD players bettered the 85 but heck ...I'm just chuffed to have my first love back in my system .....anyone else replaced a much loved bit of equipment years later with the same model in better condition? or am I letting nostalgia get in the way of my judgement?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i had some jpw sonatta speakers in the 80's and loved them to bits.picked up a pair for a tenner and rediscovered what great little speakers they are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts