Restek Challenger and Magnepans

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Just picked this amp up, a hefty beast. Ooodles of power! Plenty for the MMG's. Will be interesting to see how it compares with using the Icon Audio LA3 as a pre and power/main in with the Restek!

I was looking at the big Japanese Battleship amps like the TA-F770ES or Denon PMA-2000AE but a deal fell though and thought I would give this a go! 8)

8167238062_47d864df71_c.jpg

8167206345_6ab40da14d_h.jpg

Was certainly doing well last night on Hot Chip, Orbital and Ulla Dub Ulla WOTW Remix Album :dance:

Not quite as good with rock, a bit of Wolfmother and Audioslave but then they are still only about 20 hours old.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure there was a question in there :rofl:

But its hard to describe, not really noticing any real change in the presentation over the Icon LA3/Quad Elite combo apart from the extra control in the bass. Maybe the soundstage is not quite as defined, but I did find that a particular strength of the LA3 Pre-Amp.

Certainly promising, I think I will give the LA3/Challenger combo a go tonight.

hoopsontoast said:
Not sure there was a question in there :rofl:

But its hard to describe, not really noticing any real change in the presentation over the Icon LA3/Quad Elite combo apart from the extra control in the bass. Maybe the soundstage is not quite as defined, but I did find that a particular strength of the LA3 Pre-Amp.

Certainly promising, I think I will give the LA3/Challenger combo a go tonight.

Okay, it's clearly early days... please keep us abreast.

Thought the question was in the title?:)

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess it was more of a statement.

I had seen that other people on the net had used the Restek with Magnepans before, seems a good match in terms of actually getting them moving, not that the Quad did to badly to be honest.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
As I say, I have not really noticed a big difference tonally to be honest, vocals aremaybe slightly more recessed/lightweight so maybe that could be described as less warm.

I did not notice that the Quad was particularly un-natural in its presentation either, bit of a bargain for the money really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts