Reps at Manchester 2010

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know it's nothing to do with the quality of the equipment, but sometimes the reps at these shows make such a huge difference.

Case in point: Cognoscenti Hifi (room 308) rep was amazingly helpful, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and accommodating (he let me put my own CD on their system, even after it was clear I couldn't afford any of their kit). The people at Henley Designs (room 207) were great too, welcoming and very honest and helpful. Same for Dynaudio (room 113), absolutely great experience in there.

The flipside are the disinterested or condescending reps. I mean, I know I'm a young(ish) girl who can't rattle off full specs of every piece of kit in the room, and I know I don't have as much cash to chuck away as many of the other people there today but there's no need for comments like "I won't bother telling you the technicalities because it'll just go over your head". What the hell? I was actually really interested in that set but pretty much walked straight out the door after that.

Any one else notice any themes with the reps and presenting staff at these events?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, funny isn't it? Hardly the way to make a deal and probably turned you off the brand for life. You'd have thought they would've welcomed an opportunity to talk to a young lady with an interest in their product after talking to the scruffy herberts you usually see at the shows.

I had a similar experience with Chord Electronics at the woeful London show. Some jumped up, tin pot sales rep trying to baffle me with nonsense. Making ludicrous statements. Calling me old! I was actually quite angry towards the end of our discussion and I think he could tell ;-)

A

Anonymous

heh, I wasn't sure if that was appropriate... Still, if you insist!

I think the very condescending comment above was made in the Spendor room. Totally turned me off the product, which is a shame because it was one of the rooms I specifically wanted to go to. KEF too; no one seemed bothered about coming over to help me, even though it wasn't busy at all so I just walked out. And I found the Denon room very unhelpful, the guy I was speaking with made me feel like I was wasting his time "it's all in the brochure really". oh is it? then why, after reading your shiny brochure, did I still need to come here to ask you for more information about it? If you don't know, tell me so! I won't mind!

I don't want to seem whiny, I had a really fantastic time at the show! Have pretty much picked out all my kit now (and yes, it's nearly all from people who had helpful reps!), roll on payday! I appreciate too, that it's crazybusy in there and often the reps just can't get round to everyone or they're tired or whatever. And I just want to say thank you again to the people mentioned above for being so welcoming, it makes such a difference!

(Still buzzing from hearing my music coming out of an audio system that probably costs more than everything I own put together.... Fantastic!)

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Me and my 7 year old boy had a great time at the show to day, a real eye opener when it comes to high end equipment. I also had mixed encounters with the reps, for example, Clearer Audio were great, very welcoming they even said they will honour the show price for a week while I make up my mind. And most of the others were great too even going out of there way to entertain my boy. BUT the one room I was looking forward to the most (Monitor Audio) I felt pushed a side and ignored, after recently buying the R270HD and ordering the R225HD I wanted to have a chat with a rep to see how I can get the most from them. The rep who I spoke to just gave me mainly yes, no answers and then half way through trying to speak to him an other rep from the next room came along and said "can I but in this gentleman wants to to ask you about some speakers" at witch point he turned his back on me and that was that. But over all loved the show. Thanks to all involved.
Dean

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the only thing i didn't like was in the REL room i think where they had a projector with 3 subs and speakers. Maybe i'm wrong but they kept doing demos of the speakers with out the ' sub's ' and then with. I am the only one who noticed the other two subs were still going when it was supposed to be with no subs.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Funnily enough I had quite a nice chat with one of the guys in the Spendor room (the scruffy one who looked like a roadie) about the A5 speakers and he was pretty helpful. Had the best music on of all the rooms I went in as well.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I noticed that the reps were smiley enough, with a few approaching me, but......

if a mate turned up, that was it........

......off to chat and have a laugh with them instead!!!!
emotion-8.gif

Great sales technique.....
emotion-7.gif

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
DIB:
Funnily enough I had quite a nice chat with one of the guys in the Spendor room (the scruffy one who looked like a roadie) about the A5 speakers and he was pretty helpful. Had the best music on of all the rooms I went in as well.

What's a bet that DIB is scruffy and looks like a roadie
emotion-4.gif
emotion-1.gif

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
dirtydean:I also had mixed encounters with the reps, for example, Clearer Audio were great, very welcoming they even said they will honour the show price for a week while I make up my mind.

Hi Dean

Thank you for coming and seeing us. We try to be friendly and welcoming so it is nice to known you had a good experience with us.

All the best,

Darren

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Seventh:The flipside are the disinterested or condescending reps. I mean, I know I'm a young(ish) girl who can't rattle off full specs of every piece of kit in the room, and I know I don't have as much cash to chuck away as many of the other people there today but there's no need for comments like "I won't bother telling you the technicalities because it'll just go over your head". What the hell? I was actually really interested in that set but pretty much walked straight out the door after that.

Whoa! That is disgraceful.

Phone the 'guilty' company as soon as possible and complain about the way you were spoken to by their representative. Tell them the details. (They'll know who it is i'm sure.) Somebody will hopefully get a crash course in customer relations/21st century realities/economics/basic courtesy and a few other things besides!

Spendor is the sort of company that often enjoys customers who stick with them for decades. Putting off a potential customer could lose them many future sales.

Make it clear you have posted your bad experience on a popular hifi website.

I have 18 and 25 year-old daughters and I am angry at the thought that either of them would experience the same reaction you got and amazed at the rep's lack of business instinct.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Was very impressed with the Sonos rep.

I got to the show early on Saturday when it wasn't that busy. Whilst I was waiting for the 3D demo from WHF, I had a long chat with the Sonos rep, who showed me the system and more importantly gave some great tips for my system.

Wasn't really buying anything new and he knew that, but he spent time with me demonstrating the Ipad application - I think that's the family xmas present sorted!

scene

Pete Shields:
Wasn't really buying anything new and he knew that, but he spent time with me demonstrating the Ipad application - I think that's the family xmas present sorted!

What an iPad, or just a download of the free app
emotion-5.gif

Seriously - love to hear the tips from the Sonos rep (in a more appropriate thread)...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

It's a real shame that you were treated in such a condescending way, but speaking as someone who's been working in the hifi industry for a reasonable length of time (10 years or so) it's unfortunately not that big a surprise. There seems to be an entrenched attitude that anyone other than the old guard of bag carrying, brochure collecting old guys is somehow "an enemy!" Personally, I thought it was fantastic that there were so many women, couples, and younger people at the show.

As an industry, if we aren't willing to welcome new people into this fantastic world we call hifi, then we might as well pack up and go home, after all, it's you who are going to be buying the products that keep us in a job in future...

Oh, and as for rattling of specs - most of the reps who enjoy doing that wouldn't know a good piece of music if it bit them!

Hopefully this experience won't dissuade you from attending more shows in future - we're not all the same!
emotion-1.gif

Cheers,

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
killalldinosaurs!:as someone who's been working in the hifi industry for a reasonable length of time (10 years or so)

... could you please make clear what it is you do in your signature, in accordance with House Rules? Thanks...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DIB:Funnily enough I had quite a nice chat with one of the guys in the Spendor room (the scruffy one who looked like a roadie) about the A5 speakers and he was pretty helpful.

I think I know who you mean, I spoke to him at last years Bristol Show, Rob Coe (I've still got his card!), nice guy, pretty helpful, but I'm not a girly although I did have the hair back then*, so I couldn't say what he'd have been like in that case but I have no complaints.

*before brendonw gets in, yes I still have girly hair but the girl in question now is Sinead O'Connor.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Apologies. As I'd rather not get myself in too much grief may I abstain from putting down a job title? I'll happily not post again if this causes an issue.

A

Anonymous

I purchased a Pro-ject phono variable at the show. As I was completing the payment with the guy at the sales desk. The Pro-jeck rep stating talking to another rep from another company. He commented on my sale only a phono box!

[EDITED BY MODS - LESS OF THE PROFANITY, PLEASE]

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner:
I purchased a Pro-ject phono variable at the show.

A what?

As I was completing the payment with the guy at the sales desk. The Pro-jeck rep stating talking to another rep from another company. He commented on my sale only a phono box!

Curious, I "only" bought a 2M Red cartridge from them at this years Bristol Show, the Henley chap couldn't be more helpful, couldn't find one in the draw so asked me to give him ten minutes to search through the stock in the bathroom and had it waiting for me when I returned from browsing the rest of that floor, I was very happy, no sign from him that it wasn't much of a sale (£80 I paid I think), friendly and polite, just as they are on here to be honest.

A

Anonymous

I bought one of these.

http://box-designs.com/main.php?prod=phonoboxusbv&cat=phono&lang=en

He was very helpful and open wth his lack of knowledge on the product in the exhibition room. I think he thought he was out of earshot when he made the comment. It's really made my mind up to get a Rega RP1 as my next upgrade. I only got the phono box as I completley forgot that the ZP120 didn't have a built in phono pre amp when I got the Sonos. All other amps I have had, had phono stages.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:DIB:
Funnily enough I had quite a nice chat with one of the guys in the Spendor room (the scruffy one who looked like a roadie) about the A5 speakers and he was pretty helpful.

I think I know who you mean, I spoke to him at last years Bristol Show, Rob Coe (I've still got his card!), nice guy, pretty helpful, but I'm not a girly although I did have the hair back then*, so I couldn't say what he'd have been like in that case but I have no complaints.

*before brendonw gets in, yes I still have girly hair but the girl in question now is Sinead O'Connor.

emotion-4.gif

Getting slow with the stalking malarky........if only we had an updated forum software.....

A

Anonymous

Hi Seventh

Just wanted to say a big thank you from room 308 for your very kind comments. It really makes a big difference to be appreciated in this way.

Thank you again

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I'm really dissapointed at this as every customer is a valued one and our staff are normally congratulated on their professionalism and helpful attitude.

Whilst I will not flog the person publically, you can rest assured that it will not go unchecked. My sincere apologies for any offence caused.

Laurence Armstrong
Managing Director
Henley Designs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts