repositioning of bass ports

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
hello all, my eltax liberty5+ 's are rear bass ported and considering my living room is tiny 5m x 4m (and my speakers van only direct across the 4m length) i carnt have them too far away from the wall, they are a deep speaker to start with so i can only manage 6 inch spacing from the rear, and i am noticing a bit of booming sound on heavy bass so i was wondering could anybody advise me if it would be benificial or detrimantal to the sound quality of the speakers if i closed the bass port on the rear and put new bass ports in either the front or the side of the speakers, any advice would be apreciated thankyou.

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
moving them would not be a problem as i have all the tools and skills required for such a simple job, would pluging or partial pluging not effect the sound ? somebody told me to fill ports with straws ? but i carnt see how that would help.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi mogsie. I used to own a pair of Liberty 5+ and I was fairly fortunate that I could place them with space behind them. They still were a little bit boomy, until I put about about 1.5kg of sand (in bags) in the bottom chamber. Have you tried this? I did some experimentation with different amounts, but found this was just about right. The sand I used was kiln-dried which I seem to remember came from B&Q for about £5.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
mogsie said:
somebody told me to fill ports with straws ? but i carnt see how that would help

It changes the 'tuned' frequency of the bass port so may help if you have a particular problem with one-note bass booming in your room. It's an experiment for a wet weekend! :)

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
hi petheric, good to hear from somebody who has owned a set of these, no i have not filled the chambers with sand, must try this if it worked for you, as i really carnt move them any further away from the wall, from where my seating position is on the sofa (which is against the back wall) it is only 2.5 metres to the speaker front,

was that 1.5 kg sand per each speaker ?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it was 1.5kg each speaker, it's best to experiment to see what works best for you.

I got some large heavy-duty plastic bags, filled them fairly loosely so they could be fed in to the chamber with the neck sticking out so I could add or remove sand. When I'd finished, I tied the necks twice with tie-wraps and pushed them inside.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
mogsie said:
hi petheric, good to hear from somebody who has owned a set of these, no i have not filled the chambers with sand, must try this if it worked for you, as i really carnt move them any further away from the wall, from where my seating position is on the sofa (which is against the back wall) it is only 2.5 metres to the speaker front,

was that 1.5 kg sand per each speaker ?

If you're going to B&Q, check out Karcher sand. It comes in a tub and is dry. It's used in sandblasters. Very very fine and will fill poly bags great!. Last time I looked, B&Q stocked it but that was a while ago. DON'T use builders sand tho. Not only is it damp, it will form lumps in the bags.

As to moving the ports, I would advise against this. You could make the bass issue worse plus the fact you'll blow any residual value out of the speakers if and when you come to upgrade due to bastardising the cabinets.

TRENDING THREADS