Reply to JoelSim from Lost Angeles

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Joel, I have not played any vinyl since I bought my new amp about a month ago as it does not have a phono stage. I hope to buy a phono amp in the next 3 weeks.
I replaced the cartridge in my TT in early January and then played a lot of vinyl, some of which I had not played for 20 years, but I did not do any comparisons with the CD192 as my old Audiolab amp had no remote, and if you changed from CD to Phono the volume level was different. At the time I could not be bothered to keep getting up out of my chair. I just enjoyed playing the LPs which I had not got CD copies of.

I took a gamble and bought my CD192 in December off E-bay, I’d never used E-bay before and I am absolutely delighted with it. I paid £400 and it had never been used. The amount of detail which I am getting now I have connected the Caspian up is fabulous. I played a Led Zep track the other night and what I thought was cymbals in the LH speaker was Robert Plant on tambourine. The depth and power on the drumming on the Eagles albums (Hell Freezes Over and Long road) and a Magnum track I played last night has also astounded me as there is a lot more detail there than just a thump as the drum is hit.
I think my new amp has shown up how good the CD192 is and I would like to think that my RP3 with a new phono amp may get near to it on sound quality, but I think that even if I upgrade the cartridge ( Not yet) the CD192 will still uncover more detail.
I read on your other post that you are slightly disappointed with your TT but you perhaps need to list what albums you are playing as I have a Whitesnake album that is that dull you think someone had put thick drapes over the speakers.
When I get my phono amp I will do some comparisons as I have DSOTM and 2 Dire Straits albums on CD and vinyl and they are all well produced. Most of my LPs were all bought in the late 60s early 70s and although I have looked after them I wonder if some of the early equipment I played them on has worn them out. (Was going to ask about this on another post) The last LP I bought was in 1986.
I apologise if I have rambled on.

My name is not Mr Angeles, Lost Angeles is the name of my favourite live track and I thought it would be a good name to sign on here with.
PS It was after reading some of your postings on here that I decided to gamble on the Arcam CD192 and I don’t regret it

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Interesting. I have to say I love my CD192, whilst it was a little brash at first compared to the 92 I had, now I think it is an excellent spinner. It just seems to work with the rest of my system really well. I've listened to quite a few (heavy) LPs from the likes of Elton John, Carly Simon, Simon & Garfunkel, Omar, Prince, FGTH, Paul Simon, The Police, Stevie Wonder and not one has been up to the standard of the CDP.

But then again it is only a £150 record player against a CDP at £900 RRP. I'm running it in, and I can't decide what to do. I may sell it and buy an old second hand TT in the hope that it's better. I really don't know but feeling a bit underwhelmed at the moment. Pleasant enough but not a patch on the CD.

Glad you like the 192, it's stunning value for £400.

ÿ

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
My TT cost me about £200 and my Philips CDP was £400 in 1986 and the TT with good quality vinyl always had a wider soundstage and less clinical sound. The new cartridge has moved the TT forward but I think the CD192 is a much bigger improvement.
When I bought the CD192 I was prepared to sell on if not happy with it and I had a quick demo of a Caspian CDP the other week which sounded more open and would be an improvement but at £1200 it's £300 more than the CD192 was an I don't think I could justify paying that much. I may swap my speakers first.

I've got a Police album so I'll give that a spin when I sort my phono amp out. I have none of the other music you mentioned.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Lost Angeles:
My TT cost me about £200 and my Philips CDP was £400 in 1986 and the TT with good quality vinyl always had a wider soundstage and less clinical sound. The new cartridge has moved the TT forward but I think the CD192 is a much bigger improvement.
When I bought the CD192 I was prepared to sell on if not happy with it and I had a quick demo of a Caspian CDP the other week which sounded more open and would be an improvement but at £1200 it's £300 more than the CD192 was an I don't think I could justify paying that much. I may swap my speakers first.

I've got a Police album so I'll give that a spin when I sort my phono amp out. I have none of the other music you mentioned.

The 192 gets better and better. If you swap your speakers make sure you give Dali and ProAc a listen.

ÿ

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Joel
Now I've had chance to bed the Graham Slee in I thought I'd come back on this post.

I did a few back to back tests earlier this evening and was pleasantly surprised at how near to the CD192 the RP3 was. On back to back playing of Vinyl first and CD second I tended to notice small details on CD that I thought I had not heard on vinyl track but on playing vinyl again the info was there. If I played CD first and then vinyl I never thought when playing vinyl that I heard details that was not there on CD.
On Dire Straits tracks there was more bass on TT but on Lindisfarne tracks there was more bass on CD which must be due to transfer differences.
I played a few tracks simultaneously and switched between the 2. It was always louder off CD so I had to adjust the volume but I played Marillion Script for a jesters tear and could not hear any difference but on Lindisfarne and Dire Straits albums there was just a fraction more detail off the CD192.
The only area that he TT was superior was that the timing seemed to be better, when switching between the 2 the TT seemed to be playing faster (think that's called timing -somone tell me if it is not). Although both tracks started and finished at the same time.
I used a Chord Crimson interconnect on both although from the TT to the Graham Slee I have to use the original cable that came with the TT.
If I could only keep one I'd keep the CD192 but I've got a new LP on order and am looking forward to hearing how good that sounds and may invest in some record cleaning kit and some secondhand vinyl if I already have the album on MP3. LP covers are always more interesting than CD covers anyway. If I buy anything I've not heard before I will probably buy the CD.

If I swap my speakers they will probably be for 805s

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Very interesting.

I've had my TT on a few times, it's pleasant enough and I have a few good records.

But for critical listening it's the CDP every time.

I've just upgraded 3 mains cables, a Nordost Shiva and 2 Clearer Audio Silver Lines with upgraded plugs either end. No matter what anyone says, they do definitely make a palpable difference. Loads more air around the vocals, general precision is improved together with a little more detail. I think these 3 cables will be with me for quite some years now, far longer than the separates I imagine which will be upgraded when I can persuade the missus...

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts