Replacing Arcam 8SE CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
There's a lot of talk about tonal matching on here. I have an Arcam 8SE CD player which although making a decent enough sound could be improved upon. I listen mostly to Floyd, Genesis (usual 40+ listening?!), also Coldplay/Keane type of thing. The question is whether I would notice a massive difference switching to Cyrus/Roksan/Rega/Naim CD, all of which have been recommended to me by various people in the last couple of weeks. I also have an Arcam A85 amp which has had an electronic mind of its own for years and regularly cuts out. I was thinking of changing this too but deep down I love the sound it makes and wonder if a separate power supply/cable might help the electronics issue? If so, great and that'll save money but what CD player can be recommended at around £750-800?

What don't you like about the tonal sound of your Arcs? What speakers do you have?

The A85 has an electical problem and cuts out. I would seriously think about changing the amp before replacing anything else. The Alpha 8SE is a good player, but if it works okay I would turn attention to the amp and see how you feel.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would get the A85 fixed and buy a P85 to go with it in a biamped setup. Then change the CD player for a CD192 if you can get one at £400 still as an end of line stock

A

Anonymous

Thanks JoelSim you may have hit on something there. I have taken the Aecam to be serviced before and they found no fault hence I'm not sure I want to sacrifice it. I guess it is just an incredibly sensitive machine that behaves in a way no other electrical item in the house does. I like the idea of a reduced Arcam 192 and the power amp does make a lot of sense. Thanks again. Since my original post I have heard Rega and they're not a shadow on what I have currently, whilst Naim also failed to impress.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts