Replacement for Arcam CD73 cd player?

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I currently own the said CD player, i understand that its now discontinued & that theres a new Arcam range out, my question is, is that if i wanted to get the equivalent model to the CD73 which one would it be?

And does the replacement model (whichever that is) surpass the performance of the 73 or is it on a par with it?

T

the record spot

Sideways move IMO - there won't be a vast change I'd doubt. If you want a step up in performance but with a similar characteristic to the Arcam, then I think a step up in budget is more likely to reap rewards.

If you want a different sound, then another manufacturer would give you that for similar outlay to the CD73's price point. Marantz, Sony, used Exposure 2010s (or a used Exposure 2010), Audiolab 8000CDE (or used 8000CD), would probably all give you a differetn kind of sound to your existing Arcam.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Why do you want to replace it though?

And what music do you listen to?

IMO the Arcam DiVA CD73 CDP is still one of the best out there under £500, if not £1k!

Whats your budget?

A

Anonymous

Yep, I've heard many players, and my CD73 is right at the top. I think the first upgrade would be Arcam's £1k CD37...

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Why do you want to replace it though?

And what music do you listen to?

IMO the Arcam DiVA CD73 CDP is still one of the best out there under £500, if not £1k!

Whats your budget?I totally agree with you on this as i love the Arcam 73, i want to replace it simply because my current 73 is slowly breaking down, it keeps skipping tracks, jumping etc ive taken it to my local hifi store & theyve suggested it would be cheaper to buy another one, i cant complain as ive had this one since 2004 & its had no end of use during that time.

So thats why im abit gutted to say the least as its a cracking cd player, as for music i listen to i love The red hot chili peppers ! mainly Rock music, u2, keane, 80s stuff etc i cover most ground tbh

matthewpiano

The equivalent in the new range is the CD17. Its fairly similar to the CD73 but its not as musical and is cleaner in the midrange - it doesn't have that slightly syrupy quality that the CD73 can be prone to. Personally I'd steer clear because you can do better.

Personally, although I agree that the 73 is a fantastic player, I think its over-rated. I've had two and though I enjoyed them, my current Denon beats it hands down. There are plenty of better players at £500 upwards now and I'd be auditioning the superb Rega Apollo if I were you. Its a considerable step up from the CD73 and is a very musical and captivating player to listen to.

If you really must stick to Arcam, Hughes' CD192 suggestion will also give you a substantial upgrade over the 73.

John Duncan

JoelSim:The 192 would be a good step up

It would, if you absolutely must have a CD player
emotion-5.gif
. Seems that all the end-of-line deals have disappeared though, so you'd be stuck with 2nd hand.....

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:The 192 would be a good step up

It would, if you absolutely must have a CD player
emotion-5.gif
. Seems that all the end-of-line deals have disappeared though, so you'd be stuck with 2nd hand.....Which isnt what i want as i prefer new !

What model has replaced the 192 then?

T

the record spot

jase fox:

Which isnt what i want as i prefer new !

Well, fair enough, but you can get some stunning used buys and still get a warranty if you go to the right dealers...Eastern Electric Minimax, as new, £595 down from £950 at Shadow Audio? That'll hump your CD73 into next week! Billy Vee in London have a stack of stuff and more often as not throw in a year's warranty on used kit virtually as standard.

Your call obviously, but buying a used bit of kit can get you more for your money.

A

Anonymous

Have always found Arcam players to be a little safe sounding. Roksan Kandy would inject some life and dynamics into your system much more succesfully...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts