Replacement drivers for vintage Toshiba 330 system

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
Unfortunately these have now stopped working completely - the sub mid and tweeter of both speakers -
I think what happened is I unplugged an AUX source when I still had the volume dialed to about 25%. Really careless of me, but I didnt hear a 'thud' or a 'bang', they just gave up and the next time i tried to play a record - it was just scratchy horrible noise. It was pretty upsetting, I loved these speakers, really warm, rich sound and now im worried that finding a decent replacement will prove extremely expensive!

(Creaking/scratching can be be heard when gently pushing on the diaphram of all units.)

h2ZfFbr.jpg
[/img]

cF2gfNZ.jpg
[/img]

jCuuMF3.jpg
[/img]

Does anyone have any idea's on replacements?

I have been talking to http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/ about matching 1970's drivers and they said:
'Most modern drive units are better made and the tweeters in particular are clearer and more detailed. However older bass units have a much richer depth of sound, which only makes such as ATC, Scanspeak and Volt can emulate.'

Thanks, any help would be much appriciated !

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure the speakers gave up and not the amplifier? Have you tested drivers individually because crossover cap or resistor may have gone, not the drivers.

If you are absolutely sure the drivers have given up (tested with different amp) then write to mail@seas.no with list of the part numbers (written on each driver sticker) and ask for guidance on replacing the drivers. Don't shy sending few pics (not too heavy files). They will reply in no more than 2 days usually. Meanwhile you can try identifying the drivers yourself on their web archives. Seas Vintage Drivers

If you have no luck with the Seas people come back on this thread and we will contemplate replacement drivers. Those are made by Seas, not by Toshiba so replacing them with newer Seas drivers will refresh the sound but still keep your Toshiba system fairly authentic as before.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts