Replace very old Kenwood amp?

bgh

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I have an old Kenwood KA660D amp, bought c25 years ago, serviced twice and still working very well. I've recently bought a pair of MA BX2's to replace a pair of (lower powered) KEFs - and the sound improvement has been marked. Which has set me thinking that I should upgrade the amp. I'm a bit reluctant since there are no problems with it but I am assuming the passage of time will have significantly improved the quality of what is available. I recognise that new kit could make available DAC, streaming etc but this isnt a primary need for me.

I probably paid about £200 all those years ago for the Kenwood so it was a decent bit of kit back then. I'd spend c£600 this time round. Demo facilities are a bit limited where I am so I'd most likely buy based on reviews. I store all my music digitally on a Cocktail Audio X10 and dont run any other kit through the amp. I'm not a hi-fi 'enthusiast' but the kit is on a lot, mainly playing contemporary Jazz (eg ECM label) where the production quality is, IMO, very good - the BX2s have really brought my collection to life so maybe a new amp would improve it even further. Or should I stick?

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks

Brian

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello Brian, and welcome.

I remember the Kenwood KA660D. I auditioned it when it was new. If I'm being really honest I found it a little bland and lacking in detail, sparkle and excitement until you whacked-up the tone-controls and turned the loudness on. But of course you've lived with it all this time so clearly you don't feel the same way. However with the budget you have in mind I still reckon you will very substantially better it.

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
BGH:

For what you have and ask for, start with the new Marantz PM6005 - cheap £300.00 and much better sound than you're getting now with once magnificent Kenny.

If you can stretch to it, Arcam FMJ A19 for £650.00 is an absolute top best amp for your MA BX2's. You'll never regret it.

It's ever so exciting to buy a new Hi-Fi. Enjoy your choice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts