Replace my speakers ! Tannoy ? Q Acoustics ? Wharfedale ?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello folks,

I havent posted here in a while, but Im hoping some of you can advise me on my next pair of speakers. See my system below. I currently have a pair of Klipsch speakers that I bought on a wim and I have fallen out with them. I have a small room and they are far too forward and brash for my tastes. It seems in my small room speaker's characteristics are exaggerated slightly. I have £450 to spend.

I listen to almost all kinds of music, but prefer pop, indie and americana. My listening room is akin to a cheap hotel room, carpeted with soft furnishings but with a better tele. I dont have much room around speakers, only about 30cms side and back. I would say I need warmer sounding speakers than the Klipsch, but I dont know really. I just want something that works with my Puccini amp and Marantz cdp. All I know is I dont want boxes that sound to cold or analytical.

I have compiled a list of potentials (as you do) -

Q ACOUSTICS CONCEPT 20

Tannoy Revolution DC6

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (random choice - but I just like the vibe around them)

Castle Knight 2 (or 4) (warm speakers ?)

Wharfedale Denton (new incarnation) (warm speakers ?)

These are just ideas. If anyone has owned these speakers Id be grateful of opinions. But Im more than open to other candidates than listed above, better to hear from owners than purely online reviews I think.

Id be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You've got some good gear there, mate, which deserve better speakers than the ones you've said. I'd do some hard saving and be looking at Harbeth, Spendor or LS3/5a clones.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Dali Zensor 3, Quad 12 classic , Epos Epic 2 for standmounts I would go for. I went from a pair of Klipsch RB-81 speakers to some Dali speakers and am really happy with them. I really liked the RB-81's as well though, fun sounding, slightly forward and 3D but with good bass from the 8 inch driver. Maybe the 61s are lacking - but have not heard them.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
There is no doubting the RB-61s have quality and in the right setting would thoroughly entertain, but not with me and my ears ! They do add a bit of foot-tapping bounce to the amplifier. But what I hear is way too forward, to the point of it being like a wall of sound with no subtlety. Ive even tried different speaker cables to try and tie back the sound with no success.

Out of curiousity, Ive dug up my trusty old B&W 601s and although the texture of sound is reduced, it is more natural and balanced. I think I will keep these plugged in until I find the "right" speakers.

Has anyone heard any of the speakers from my list in post 1 ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I can highly recommedn the KEF R100's and you'll get them in your budget :)

I've got mine 10" from rear and side walls in my home office/man-cave and they sound fantastic...

Got a MF XA2 amp to play with today (won on eBay for a stupid price) and it's beein running the R100's all day without a hitch. Sounds fantastic (nopt as good as the Cyrus I have to admit (more smoother sound with less depth) but still sounds very good indeed and will be kept for a small dining room system :)

The KEF's are superb with taut punchy bass (bought them after owning the LS50's for about 6months) and havent thought to look anywhere else!

I'm a huge B&W fan but currently their speakers arent a patch on the KEF R range IMO (unless you go to the 800 series and above which I cant afford)!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
sthomas048 said:
There is no doubting the RB-61s have quality and in the right setting would thoroughly entertain, but not with me and my ears ! They do add a bit of foot-tapping bounce to the amplifier. But what I hear is way too forward, to the point of it being like a wall of sound with no subtlety. Ive even tried different speaker cables to try and tie back the sound with no success.

Out of curiousity, Ive dug up my trusty old B&W 601s and although the texture of sound is reduced, it is more natural and balanced. I think I will keep these plugged in until I find the "right" speakers.

I'm reminded of a Viz "Top Tip".

'If your speakers sound too forward and in your face, sit further away from them'.

sthomas048 said:
Hello folks,

I havent posted here in a while, but Im hoping some of you can advise me on my next pair of speakers. See my system below. I currently have a pair of Klipsch speakers that I bought on a wim and I have fallen out with them. I have a small room and they are far too forward and brash for my tastes. It seems in my small room speaker's characteristics are exaggerated slightly. I have £450 to spend.

I listen to almost all kinds of music, but prefer pop, indie and americana. My listening room is akin to a cheap hotel room, carpeted with soft furnishings but with a better tele. I dont have much room around speakers, only about 30cms side and back. I would say I need warmer sounding speakers than the Klipsch, but I dont know really. I just want something that works with my Puccini amp and Marantz cdp. All I know is I dont want boxes that sound to cold or analytical.

I have compiled a list of potentials (as you do) -

Q ACOUSTICS CONCEPT 20

Tannoy Revolution DC6

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (random choice - but I just like the vibe around them)

Castle Knight 2 (or 4) (warm speakers ?)

Wharfedale Denton (new incarnation) (warm speakers ?)

These are just ideas. If anyone has owned these speakers Id be grateful of opinions. But Im more than open to other candidates than listed above, better to hear from owners than purely online reviews I think.

Id be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Mmm... tricky one, as I've not heard your current speakers. Have heard the brand some years ago. For the life of me can't remember what they sounded like; only that they were instantly forgetable.

If you're looking at brand new replacements the Kefs sound like a good option, as they tend to be slightly warmer than previous kefs in that price bracket.

Look at s-hand, with a little extra money added, then PMC DB1is should fit the bill nicely, Epos M12i, ProAc tabs, AVI Neutron IVs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
The KEF's are superb with taut punchy bass (bought them after owning the LS50's for about 6months) and havent thought to look anywhere else!

How do you think the R100s compare with the LS50s?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
sthomas048 said:

'If your speakers sound too forward and in your face, sit further away from them'.
:shame: No depends on room setup & acoustics.. In my room when I move closer the music actually sounds duller.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
davedotco said:
sthomas048 said:

:shame: No depends on room setup & acoustics.. In my room when I move closer the music actually sounds duller.

You have never seen 'Viz' magazine have you.......... :doh:

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:

I've got mine 10" from rear and side walls in my home office/man-cave and they sound fantastic...

Got a MF XA2 amp to play with today (won on eBay for a stupid price) and it's beein running the R100's all day without a hitch. Sounds fantastic (nopt as good as the Cyrus I have to admit (more smoother sound with less depth) but still sounds very good indeed and will be kept for a small dining room system :)

I'm a huge B&W fan but currently their speakers arent a patch on the KEF R range IMO (unless you go to the 800 series and above which I cant afford)!

Well, its hard to not notice the Kef R100s, they are beautiful speakers arent they ? I like what Kef are doing right now, their cabinet designs and the tech used in their ranges. But I havent found them for less than £600 anywhere online ? Perhaps if I flog some of my redundant hifi stuff I could bump my funds up.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Mmm... tricky one, as I've not heard your current speakers. Have heard the brand some years ago. For the life of me can't remember what they sounded like; only that they were instantly forgetable.

If you're looking at brand new replacements the Kefs sound like a good option, as they tend to be slightly warmer than previous kefs in that price bracket.

Look at s-hand, with a little extra money added, then PMC DB1is should fit the bill nicely, Epos M12i, ProAc tabs, AVI Neutron IVs.

Would you believe Ive owned the wonderful AVI speakers when they first arrived for review here. I have no idea why I sold them. :doh: Im always looking for bargains online, that is how I assembled my current system. My amp and cdp well below full price. I will have to look out for the PMC/Epos/ProAcs ! Half my problem is I need stuff delivered and many 2nd hand speakers on that auction site only do collection.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
sthomas048 said:
d_a_n1979 said:

Well, its hard to not notice the Kef R100s, they are beautiful speakers arent they ? I like what Kef are doing right now, their cabinet designs and the tech used in their ranges. But I havent found them for less than £600 anywhere online ? Perhaps if I flog some of my redundant hifi stuff I could bump my funds up.

look for them 2nd hand but to be fair cash is king... Get to a dealer and they'll bite your hands off...

I got £120 knocked off my new LS50's when I demo'd them!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
d_a_n1979 said:

The R100's are stunning speakers but the LS50's are better... A more rounded & tauter sound and better styling IMO but both still fantastic but people will be split by their soundstage IMO (R100's vs LS50's)!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
d_a_n1979 said:

The R100's are stunning speakers but the LS50's are better... A more rounded & tauter sound and better styling IMO but both still fantastic but people will be split by their soundstage IMO (R100's vs LS50's)!

Thanks Dan.

The reason I asked, is because I wanted to get the R100s and save the difference, but couldn't look past the LS50s. I'm glad you are enjoying them.

Apologies to the OP for the diversion.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

How would you describe the sound of the Epos M12i ? Ive owned Epos a long time ago and like them.

T

the record spot

If you have a small room I might be included to pass up the Tannoy DC6 as it's actually rather big and go for the smaller but no less impressive DC4 instead.

I would avoid the KEF R100 which I suspect would be too boomy in a small space. Depends on the size of your room I guess but the ones I heard were ponderous, with a bass that was too prominent.

I've had the DC4 for a couple of years now and am as impressed with them now as I was when I first got them. Deeply impressive in smaller living rooms and the dual concentric arrangement works very well.

They work well with Marantz; I have the SA7001-KI CD player, a forerunner to your 8003. A lovely sound indeed.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that record spot. I know my question gets asked a lot here on the forum, but it was nice to have such a thought out reply as yours. Infact your opinions reflected on my decision to go for my Marantz cd player ! But anyway, my room is small so bass boom can be a problem, might have dodged a big mistake there then, the DC4 will be looked at now.

Out of interest, what other speakers would you recommend ? I have about £4-500 to spend.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
sthomas048 said:
Thanks for that record spot. I know my question gets asked a lot here on the forum, but it was nice to have such a thought out reply as yours. Infact your opinions reflected on my decision to go for my Marantz cd player ! But anyway, my room is small so bass boom can be a problem, might have dodged a big mistake there then, the DC4 will be looked at now.

Out of interest, what other speakers would you recommend ? I have about £4-500 to spend.

Rcord Spot has some good advice there but DO NOT rule out any speaker until you've had a chance to demo them yourself!

We will all offer our advice and own opinions but when it comes to chosing speakers you must demo; even if just to rule a speaker out!

I personally do not like the Tannoy speakers being recommended but that's my choiuce; to me they're good but not good enough. Better can be had

Have you had chance to listen to the Q Acoustic speakers yet as I think you'd be surprised by them; very good indeed!

Have you considered powered speakers also?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:

I am a numpty when it comes to this stuff ! Please could you explain what you mean by powered speakers ? Can I still connect them to my amp as normal ?

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
As a VERY satisfied and happy owner, I'll vouch for the Dali Zensor 3! Unbelievably good for the money- several forumites have taken the plunge and concur... If they'd cost me £500 I'd still be happy.

The Qs are excellent too- but Altruistic Lemon speaks some truth. Your gear does warrant slightly less 'budget' speakers.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Dougal1331 said:
The Qs are excellent too- but Altruistic Lemon speaks some truth. Your gear does warrant slightly less 'budget' speakers.

Yeh, I know. Im one of those that looks for bargains, by that I mean both my cd player and amp were bought well below RRP, second hand.

T

the record spot

d_a_n1979 said:
sthomas048 said:

Rcord Spot has some good advice there but DO NOT rule out any speaker until you've had a chance to demo them yourself!

We will all offer our advice and own opinions but when it comes to chosing speakers you must demo; even if just to rule a speaker out!

I personally do not like the Tannoy speakers being recommended but that's my choiuce; to me they're good but not good enough. Better can be had

Have you had chance to listen to the Q Acoustic speakers yet as I think you'd be surprised by them; very good indeed!

Dan most reviews rate the DC4 in small room settings precisely because they image will, have a wide stereo soundstage and are very musical with a terrific midrange. Given that they comfortably walked all over the R100 at nearly twice the price, rather says much about the DC4's abilities.

Rather than coming out with a non-descript statement about better speakers being available, which applies no matter what you buy, it's more appropriate to focus on a suitable application for the purpose and for the kit involved.

Being as I have a similar CD player and room size makes the Tannoy worth mentioning. Seeing as the lacklustre performance of the R100 with its boom in a small room might also be a factor was worth mentioning too.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Well guys, thanks for all your help and support. I have decided to go for some AVI Neutron 5. I owned them before and always regretted selling them. The reason I went for these speakers is purely because of room size and listening position. They are more of a "monitor" type speaker. Also I have finally got around to buying proper speaker stands - Custom Design RS300.

So lets see what happens next !

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
For the OP's information there is currently a set of KEF R100's for sale on another very well known AV related form and they're bang on the money!

I'd act quickly (if they're still of interest) as I expect they'll soon get snapped up! :)

They've nothing to do with me; just thought I'd let you know

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts