Replace my rubbish Gothams

John Duncan

Right, seeing as my Gothams are such tosh, what should I be using instead? I couldn't hear any difference between them and my Chord Cobra 2, so obviously I should be aiming a bit higher. Got any suggestions? Money no object (since I'll be buying off eBay). Oh and might as well get some speaker cable as well. Do I hear Indigo?

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Right, seeing as my Gothams are such tosh, what should I be using instead? I couldn't hear any difference between them and my Chord Cobra 2, so obviously I should be aiming a bit higher. Got any suggestions? Money no object (since I'll be buying off eBay). Oh and might as well get some speaker cable as well. Do I hear Indigo?
Coat hangers...metal mind, the wooden ones aren't as good but do the blackest blacks you've ever heard...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I Would be interested myself in some comments by one of the contributing editors here re. Clearaudio Copper, Merlin Bach, Merlin Chopin Classic (now available on ebay for £40) or the £48 Atlas Equator. Which one is best for Transparency, drive and focus, nothing soft and woolly. I'll buy one and post my findings compared to the GAC-1 on my loan system.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Coat hangers...metal mind, the wooden ones aren't as good but do the blackest blacks you've ever heard...

A nice bottle of snake oil there for your birthday JD.

A

Anonymous

Im getting some atlas equators to replace the gothams, will report back if they ever arrive.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Right, seeing as my Gothams are such tosh, what should I be using instead? I couldn't hear any difference between them and my Chord Cobra 2, so obviously I should be aiming a bit higher. Got any suggestions? Money no object (since I'll be buying off eBay). Oh and might as well get some speaker cable as well. Do I hear Indigo?

Balanced or non balanced?

A

Anonymous

daveh75:seconds out......round two

Hey daveh, have you got your wellies on or did you escape the floods ?

(Sorry to hi jack the thread for a sec but anything to escape another confounded cable debate)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
If your Primares are close enough, how about these 50cm cables? Great price.

John Duncan

Big Chris:JohnDuncan:Right, seeing as my Gothams are such tosh, what should I be using instead? I couldn't hear any difference between them and my Chord Cobra 2, so obviously I should be aiming a bit higher. Got any suggestions? Money no object (since I'll be buying off eBay). Oh and might as well get some speaker cable as well. Do I hear Indigo?

Balanced or non balanced?

Non

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Right, seeing as my Gothams are such tosh, what should I be using instead? I couldn't hear any difference between them and my Chord Cobra 2, so obviously I should be aiming a bit higher. Got any suggestions? Money no object (since I'll be buying off eBay). Oh and might as well get some speaker cable as well. Do I hear Indigo?

If your Primares are close enough, how about these 50cm cables? Great price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chord-Chorus-Interconnects-0-5m_W0QQitemZ230288358025QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230288358025&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

They are, and it is, isn't it?

daveh75

andyb190:

daveh75:seconds out......round two

Hey daveh, have you got your wellies on or did you escape the floods ?

(Sorry to hi jack the thread for a sec but anything to escape another confounded cable debate)
no wellies required, bedlington's on higher ground than morpeth,and i dont live right on top of the river

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Right, seeing as my Gothams are such tosh, what should I be using instead? I couldn't hear any difference between them and my Chord Cobra 2, so obviously I should be aiming a bit higher. Got any suggestions? Money no object (since I'll be buying off eBay). Oh and might as well get some speaker cable as well. Do I hear Indigo? If your Primares are close enough, how about these 50cm cables? Great price.

They are, and it is, isn't it?

I reckon he would take £70. The new version are £175 for 0.5m. I paid £75 for my Chameleon Silver Plus (1m) which was a good price. You could buy, try and sell for the same if not a profit if you weren't happy.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Dear John

emotion-3.gif
emotion-7.gif

I wish you live a bit closer to me mate. I suppose it's your cash!

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:We could come and do a Reader Rescue, bringing lots of different-price cables for a blind test....

Ooo now there's an idea. Could we do it at your place (the builders start end of next week), or is it all Awardtastic over there?

A

Anonymous

That sounds good for the birthday boy. Don't take anything too expensive coz we know how little self control JD has and count them out and back in again !!

John Duncan

JoelSim:Alternatively just sell the Primares and get some Arcam kit. Even with the Gothams the Arcs will sound better

Nice try, but my wife and I had that "there has been an awful lot of upgrading going on recently" conversation this weekend.

John Duncan

andyb190:That sounds good for the birthday boy. Don't take anything too expensive coz we know how little self control JD has and count them out and back in again !!

How very dare you (paints one pair of gothams purple for Indigo substitution purposes)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:We could come and do a Reader Rescue, bringing lots of different-price cables for a blind test....

Ooo now there's an idea. Could we do it at your place (the builders start end of next week), or is it all Awardtastic over there?

We are, indeed, somewhat in a state of lockdown this month. And testing the cables on your kit would be rather more bespoke, of course....

Oh, and hope you have better workmen than the ones currently trashing our roof. They've scuppered the Sky dish and the radio aerial so far. We've had no TV/decent FM radio since Thursday!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts