Remembering Big Chris

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. I felt quite strange when I started the thread about Chris. Not only sad for Chris losing his life but for bringing sad news to the forum. To see how it affected you all was quite strange to experience. It was nice howerver that it showed what an impact Big Chris has had on us and and obviously others in his life and what a man and great person I guess he was.

For anyone interested the band are going to be paying their respects to their fallen commrade here.

https://www.funeralzone.co.uk/obituaries/1899

The Facebook post states to share these details with anyone interested.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
That is a very moving link you've posted. Loved the comment about the light fittings and only having even numbers on the volume control!

Thank you.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Clearly Chris was well liked and will be sorely missed.

Maybe one way for his name/memory to live on, would be for either WHFSV or the Forum to have an annual Big Chris award, for the most promising metal band (on the cusp of being able to turn professional?). Maybe forum members could nominate bands, then have a vote amongst the members. This would all require someone to organise, manage etc, but maybe one (or more?) of you would feel able to devote the enthusiasm/manhours that it would entail.

John Duncan

I have just posted this, which were my own personal thoughts. I hope you approve and think that it speaks for all of us:

"Internet forums are strange places, filled with petty rivalries, ad hominems and oneupmanship. In the six-plus years we've corresponded on the whathifi forum, I've never seen any of that from 'Big Chris'. An absolute gentleman at all times, we've heard about his love of music, we've heard his own music and seen the progress of his band, we've heard about Natalie, he's asked us what anniversary presents to buy her, we knew when their birthdays were, we've even heard about his trips to the Bingo.

I met him just the once when he came to the offices and we took him out for lunch and a pint, and a more genuine - and aptly monikered - man I could not hope to meet. I had never thought that people you talk with on the internet about 'stuff' would become an important part of one's life, but I was deeply affected when I heard of his passing, as have many others been who had come to think of as their friend. I make no apologies for a reference from somebody he'd no doubt consider a 'floppy-haired EDITED', but This Charming Man will be deeply missed, by me and so many others. Our thoughts are with you, Natalie, and with the rest of his and your families. We wish you well.

John Duncan

whathifi.com"

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I have just posted this, which were my own personal thoughts. I hope you approve and think that it speaks for all of us:

"Internet forums are strange places, filled with petty rivalries, ad hominems and oneupmanship. In the six-plus years we've corresponded on the whathifi forum, I've never seen any of that from 'Big Chris'. An absolute gentleman at all times, we've heard about his love of music, we've heard his own music and seen the progress of his band, we've heard about Natalie, he's asked us what anniversary presents to buy her, we knew when their birthdays were, we've even heard about his trips to the Bingo.

I met him just the once when he came to the offices and we took him out for lunch and a pint, and a more genuine - and aptly monikered - man I could not hope to meet. I had never thought that people you talk with on the internet about 'stuff' would become an important part of one's life, but I was deeply affected when I heard of his passing, as have many others been who had come to think of as their friend. I make no apologies for a reference from somebody he'd no doubt consider a 'floppy-haired EDITED', but This Charming Man will be deeply missed, by me and so many others. Our thoughts are with you, Natalie, and with the rest of his and your families. We wish you well.

John Duncan

whathifi.com"

Such very sad news. A very thoughtful and moving post.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
char_lotte said:
John Duncan said:

John Duncan

whathifi.com"

Such very sad news. A very thoughtful and moving post.

+1 Nicely put. It shows how compationate we all are despite our silly bickering.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:

John Duncan

whathifi.com"

Beautifully put.......he was one of the good guys, and his passing is still having an effect, leaving me with feelings of disbelief and a sense of loss. I feel the regular folk on here have become members of a cyber-family, and this family is now missing one of its best.

Thank you for encompassing the overwheming view of all on here, who got to know Chris through his posts.

Cno

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea of some kind of award. The only thing I se as a problem, as great as Chris was that if anyone else passes away do we have an award of some kind on their behalf.

Hopefully no one else will leave us anytime soon and if they do I'm sure they will be as special a Big Chris. Maybe What Hi-Fi could come up with some ideas. Maybe an artical in the Mag. I don't know.

I would be up for a What Hi-Fi sponsered award for best British up and coming metal band only because I'm in one and would enter any such competition.

Nice to see your thoughts guys I'm sure Chris would get involved if he was around and it was regarding anyone else. :rockout: :beer:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Very nicely put JD. :)

It's a shame that Chris will never get to read all of the nice comments he's received over the past couple of weeks. I'm sure he would have been touched if he had known how well liked he was on here.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Glacialpath said:
I like the idea of some kind of award. The only thing I se as a problem, as great as Chris was that if anyone else passes away do we have an award of some kind on their behalf.

Hopefully no one else will leave us anytime soon and if they do I'm sure they will be as special a Big Chris. Maybe What Hi-Fi could come up with some ideas. Maybe an artical in the Mag. I don't know.

I would be up for a What Hi-Fi sponsered award for best British up and coming metal band only because I'm in one and would enter any such competition.

Nice to see your thoughts guys I'm sure Chris would get involved if he was around and it was regarding anyone else. :rockout: :beer:

Just an idea guys. What about the WHFS&V postumous forums award or just WHF S&V forums award?. As I said, just a thought. Probably a stupid one though.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:

John Duncan

whathifi.com"

Perfectly put JD - thank you.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:

John Duncan

whathifi.com"

I'm not from the UK, as the majority of you might know, probably will not meet in person any of WHF team, or any of this forum members, but, as i've said in another thread, i've got found to some of you, as strange this might sound, but thats the way I feel!

spot ON JD.

John Duncan said:

John Duncan

whathifi.com"

Beautifully put, John. Touching sentiments. Big Chris: Best of a few.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't particularly remember Big Chris, he probably kept away from 'active speaker' discussions, but he clearly made his mark with many of you. For someone to die so young is simply awful and I extend my sympathies to all his family and friends. Such a loss of potential, but his achievements and personalty will at least live on in other's hearts.

ps., You wrote a nice piece there JD, good on yer.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I am still utterly shocked and dismayed by this tragedy,So Thanks John could not have put it better myself.To Natalie and all Chris's Family and friends I am thinking of you.Big'un will miss you mate. Rod

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:

John Duncan

whathifi.com"

Very well put JD,just the thing I was thinking of.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, nice one JD. :cheers: I like the idea of him being remembered too, I was thinking something similar ever since I heard the news. Still shocked now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts