Remastered LPs – any benefits?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
R.E.M. are re-releasing some of their old albums on vinyl. Their first two reissues – Murmur and Reckoning – I bought because I didn't have them on vinyl. Now they are releasing Fables of the Reconstruction in a few weeks (http://bit.ly/bKwhX9). I already have a good original release copy of this record, so what I'm wonder is what benefit I'd get (if any) from buying the reissue?

I understand the (supposed) benefits of remastered CDs, but what about LPs?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Your original copy may not have been cut from the original master (most aren't) which the reissue will be and like the previous reissues they will be available in 180g vinyl which is no bad thing as the quality of the vinyl used these days is argueably the best it has ever been. I guess it all comes down to sound quality, in theory the new reissue should sound better using the original masters as opposed to third or fourth or fifth, etc. copies. I can't speak for the main players in the industry like emi and universal but generally the reissues from the likes of Mobile Fidelity, Classic, Simply Vinyl,etc. are, IMO, excellent. Anyway, there's nothing quite like opening up a brand new record
emotion-5.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
seantest:
R.E.M. are re-releasing some of their old albums on vinyl. Their first two reissues - Murmur and Reckoning - I bought because I didn't have them on vinyl. Now they are releasing Fables of the Reconstruction in a few weeks (http://bit.ly/bKwhX9). I already have a good original release copy of this record, so what I'm wonder is what benefit I'd get (if any) from buying the reissue?

I understand the (supposed) benefits of remastered CDs, but what about LPs?

Remasters are different to reissues.
A remaster is a new master of an original. The original definitive master which would be mixed and equalised would be used to create all vinyl pressing of that particular record. This definitive master can wear out and so a new one would be made from the best available copy (which there would be some) from the original.
A reissue is simply that, a reissue of the original pressing. This pressing would be taken from any master copy be it original or not.

A

Anonymous

depends heavily on the particular recording, but as a broad statement LPs from late 70s through to mid 80s declined steadily in quality (more cheap plastic instead of vinyl, copies of copies etc). Modern re-issues are generally a lot better than those, but not necessarily better than audiophile records from the 60s. The main advantage is they are new and untouched (vynil declines slowly with repeated playing).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts