Relace Alpha 9 ??

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

My Alpha 9 in the bedroom has started to develop the dreaded input crackle so I will need to look at getting this fixed or maybe something else.

I have no problem with this amp but thinking a little upgraditis and these are my initial options.

Get the amp fixed and look at getting a matching power amp but these seem very expensive for what might not be a huge upgrade as I do not listen at high volumes.

Trade it in for an Alpha 10 but I don't know if there is a big improvent in this option either so any views on this.

Locate an A38 which should be a resonable upgrade and just be patient for the right price.

I will be using with B&W CDM1NT's

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Thanks again

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
My only issue would be that the Alpha range is getting on a bit now, so an elderly Alpha 10 could well develop issues of its own before long.

Perhaps an A38 would be the better bet.

FWIW. I added a power amp after using my A85 on its own for a while and the difference was marked. Much better all round and not just at louder volumes. If you can get your 9 serviced and add a 9P, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The selector switch went on my alpha 9, it's a common problem and an easy fix for a good repair shop. I had my alpha 9 pro modified with excellent results - this is a very sweet amp and i have no plans to upgrade any time in the future. Fidelity audio did the work on mine, they also undertake repairs

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have been away thanks for replies , I have also just read the post about BIg Chris which is very sad and the fact I have just seen his post on my thread is making me feel even sadder..

I think I will get the amp repaired and maybe go for upgrade as have found an ebay company and the comment above regarding this and will keep an eye out for an A38

Did you find the upgrade worthwhile, the ebay firm are charging £150 for this.

Thanks again Big Chris your contributions will be missed,

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen the £150 eBay upgrade but I'm guessing it's either Fidelity Audio or Redhill Audio offering this service and I've dealt with both and both do a good job. Like I said, I am very happy with the work that they have done. Two basic areas of the amp received attention. The first area of work concentrated on removing mains noise from the equation by installing filters and so on. The second one was bypassing an internal attenuator that degraded the sound. Why was this attenuator there in the first place? Only speculation but we thought it may be this - the arcam alpha 10 was a very good amp and didn’t have this attenuator - the alpha 9, 8, 7 and 5 did. Looks as though arcam put this into the models lower than the alpha 10 so as to release amps at cheaper price points but like I said this is only speculation. The amp now sounds incredibly clear and extremely sweet, like a layer of grunge that I had no idea was there has now been removed. I tested the modified version against a standard version and the difference was very significant. Also had a few boutique parts put in, opamps, resisters etc. The cost of my upgrades came to £700 and I’m very happy with the results.

Personally I think my modded Alpha 9 sounds a lot better than the A38 (clearer, better dynamics, a lot more grip on the bass and a very sweet midrange)

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Shanka said:
I think I will get the amp repaired and maybe go for upgrade as have found an ebay company and the comment above regarding this and will keep an eye out for an A38 Did you find the upgrade worthwhile, the ebay firm are charging £150 for this.

Reading through the so called upgrade on eBay IMO you would be better off keeping you money. It seems very expensive just to replace a handful of capacitors and the improvement (if any) would be subtle to say the least. You would be better off just spending £50ish to get the input selector refurbished.

sublime said:
I haven't seen the £150 eBay upgrade but I'm guessing it's either Fidelity Audio or Redhill Audio offering this service and I've dealt with both and both do a good job. Like I said, I am very happy with the work that they have done. Two basic areas of the amp received attention. The first area of work concentrated on removing mains noise from the equation by installing filters and so on. The second one was bypassing an internal attenuator that degraded the sound. Why was this attenuator there in the first place? Only speculation but we thought it may be this - the arcam alpha 10 was a very good amp and didn’t have this attenuator - the alpha 9, 8, 7 and 5 did. Looks as though arcam put this into the models lower than the alpha 10 so as to release amps at cheaper price points but like I said this is only speculation. The amp now sounds incredibly clear and extremely sweet, like a layer of grunge that I had no idea was there has now been removed. I tested the modified version against a standard version and the difference was very significant. Also had a few boutique parts put in, opamps, resisters etc. The cost of my upgrades came to £700 and I’m very happy with the results.

Personally I think my modded Alpha 9 sounds a lot better than the A38 (clearer, better dynamics, a lot more grip on the bass and a very sweet midrange)

£700 :rofl: I bet they have a good laugh every time they mention this particular sale

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Shanka said:
I think I will get the amp repaired and maybe go for upgrade as have found an ebay company and the comment above regarding this and will keep an eye out for an A38 Did you find the upgrade worthwhile, the ebay firm are charging £150 for this.

Reading through the so called upgrade on eBay IMO you would be better off keeping you money. It seems very expensive just to replace a handful of capacitors and the improvement (if any) would be subtle to say the least. You would be better off just spending £50ish to get the input selector refurbished.

sublime said:

£700 :rofl: I bet they have a good laugh every time they mention this particular sale

As I paid no cash and did an exchange of services I hardly think they're laughing. The upgrades are fantastic and I'm very pleased. I would say to make a judgement only when you've heard what can be achieved by modifying equipment by someone who knows what they're doing.

Do you have any experience of professionally modified equipment? I think not as your comment smacks of ignorance.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
sublime said:
As I paid no cash and did an exchange of services I hardly think they're laughing.

So why say it cost £700 then......

sublime said:
Do you have any experience of professionally modified equipment? I think not as your comment smacks of ignorance.

Well actually that's where you would be wrong, on quite a few levels too.

Using the term 'professionally modified' is also insulting, glorified tinkers would be more apt.

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
perhaps I should have said that the work was valued at £700

As you seem to have a problem with Fidelity Audio I'll leave it at that.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have just decided to get the amp repaired as I am quite happy with the amp as it is and will put the cash not spent towards an A 38 when one comes in line with my budget.

I am getting a Leema Pulse on loan to tide me over while the Arcam is away.

Thanks for all the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts