Rega System Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone recommend what stand mounted speakers I should be looking at to compliment my Saturn/Mira 3?

Price would not be an issue as I would intend to keep them indefinately.I would however prefer to keep to UK built speakers so I am thinking about the likes of PMC,Spendor,Rega,Neat,Pro-ac,EB etc etc

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Rega's own are very good and work very well with their own kit (unsurprisingly).

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i cant say anything other than in most good hifi shops and on alot of peoples sig.. they seem to go rega right through from turntable-cd-amp-speakers and i have not ever meet someone moaning. so i would first try and demo some rega speakers with your kit.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Didn't think you'd hold out for very long on the existing speakers, following your recent system upgrade.
emotion-5.gif

What budget do you have in mind (I know you've said price is no issue, but how long is a piece of string?) and do you have your heart set on stand-mounts or would you also consider floorstanders?

I've found that the Rega RS3s are smaller and less obtrusive than my B&W 685s on partington stands, plus the RS3s are a great little speaker in an all Rega set up. If I was you, I'd seriously consider them.

A

Anonymous

If it's a small room (say below 6m x 6m) try the Rega RS1 (boppy, musical sound - though the silk tweeter can be a bit soft for some ears), Focal 806V (more dynamic, still as musical, with a more fuller top end from the titanium tweeter), or Naim N-Sats (amazingly fast and musical - a Naim sub should be added later to fill in the bass (as it is taut and tuneful unlike "Demolition Crew" types - PV1, or anything REL!)

For compact floorstanders in a bigger room consider the Rega RS3s/RS5s, Spendor A5 or Kudos X2.

Get some decent cable (Chord Rumour, or even Rega's own), not the tosh from QED and the like, and you should be happy for years.

I've stuck the French Focals in there as they are stunningly good. Normally I'd stick with British speakers, but alas there are very few British brands out there which aren't shipped straight out of China nowadays.

A

Anonymous

Cold Roses:

Didn't think you'd hold out for very long on the existing speakers, following your recent system upgrade.
emotion-5.gif

What budget do you have in mind (I know you've said price is no issue, but how long is a piece of string?) and do you have your heart set on stand-mounts or would you also consider floorstanders?

I've found that the Rega RS3s are smaller and less obtrusive than my B&W 685s on partington stands, plus the RS3s are a great little speaker in an all Rega set up. If I was you, I'd seriously consider them.

My max spend would be around £1200 / I currently have my speakers on a wall unit as unfortunately I have no room whatsoever for floorstanders or even stands.

I will try the RS1s and see what they are like.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
As others have said it's definitely well worth trying the RS1s, which would be a really good option at the lower end of your budget. They're a well built little speaker (I particularly like the look of the piano black version), with a dynamic and detailed sound. Plus, they're not particularly fussy about positioning, which by the sound of things is very important in your case. They were certainly in the running when I purchased my RS3s.

Most of us have to make some compromises on set up, given room constraints. I don't know what sort of wall unit you have and how exactly the speakers would be set up, though (as I'm sure you know) positioning of speakers has a substantial effect on the sound. Compromises on positioning can result in serious compromises in sound quality (indeed, fantastic speakers positioned poorly can sound awful). I'd be very conscious of this; particularly, if you're now considering spending up to £1.2k on speakers. If I was you, I'd really try and get a home demo of any new speakers you're planning to try. Given that you've recently purchased both the Saturn and Mira, one would hope your dealer would be amenable to such a home test.

A

Anonymous

Cheers CR. I have been to my dealer and arranged a demo for the RS1s on Friday - I will try and arrange a home test as well.

I will be curious to see if there is a notable improvement compared to my 10.1s as I have been very impressed with these. These did however replace my 20 year old Sony "HiFi" speakers! If I cannot notice much improvement then I might try the EB2s which get rave reviews,look impressive, and are well within my budget.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Look forward to hearing what you think of the RS1s.

I have to admit that I was very tempted by the EB2s too, following WHF's rave reviews. Love the look of them, although haven't had a chance to listen to a pair yet. When I bought the RS3s, I was still running the Brio3. Didn't think the Brio would have sufficient power to drive the EB2s properly and didn't want to risk buying them, waiting 6 weeks and then having to send them back. If I'd had the Mira at the time, I think it would have taken me a little longer to decide. That said, don't regret buying the RS3s. Absolutely love mine and great system synergy.

A

Anonymous

Cold Roses:

I`ve had a loan of a pair of RS1s since Friday and I am very impressed - there is more depth and detail compared to my 10.1s. This is to be expected I suppose as they are twice the price - but still very good value I would say.

I have to take them back to the dealer on Tuesday and I will be ordering a pair straight away - a Christmas present to myself
emotion-2.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Rega's R3 used to be my choice of inexpensive floorstanders/speakers and I found them both better balanced and better value for money than the companies R1. I can't comment on the newer RS products as I haven't heard them.

The R range had a snappy, exciting and rythmic sound at cost to refinement and soundstage. This was probably to counteract/enhance (whichever way you look at it) the companies refined and more 'hifi' sounding electronics which lack the drive and relative forwardness of say Naim or Cyrus.

I would say that anyone that has a system that lacks a little pizzaz could do a lot worse than Rega's speakers with the proviso the new range hasn't lost the old ones trade sound. - If you have an already treble dominated system and want a better soundstage and/or refinement I probably would'nt choose them.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

I would say that anyone that has a system that lacks a little pizzaz could do a lot worse than Rega's speakers with the proviso the new range hasn't lost the old ones trade sound. - If you have an already treble dominated system and want a better soundstage and/orrefinement I probably would'nt choose them.

Would you say that Rega speakers are a nice complement to a Naim system (Nait 5i/CD5i)?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think I tried that once but to be honest, I can't remember though I believe our resident record keeper, also known as chebby (no offense buddy) has had that combination so he would be the one to give a definitive answer.

My guess and that is all it is, would be no. Naim's just don't do soundstage like some other products (and are no worse for that) but I could imagine the combination to make sounds which are mostly placed between the speakers and perhaps a little to forward. Of course you may like that so try it yourself.

A

Anonymous

The Naim 5 series works well with the RS3 and RS5. Can't comment on them with the RS1 but maybe the synergy follows through. Worth a try.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply! I've only heard Rega speakers in an all Rega set. It wasn't one of the new RS series but I remember that it sounded great. I have a feeling that Dynaudio might be a better partner for my Naim system. Any experience with that combo maybe?

Edit: thanks igglebert! Maybe I'll find a dealer or show where I can audition this speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it was not that great. Old story of Naim's low'ish damping factor with a speaker brand that really needs that attribute.

As always my opinion only and the room plays a big factor too as my most recent NAIM home trial clearly showed.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I have had my R3 speakers with my Naim Nait XS amp and now my 202/200 combo. They perform very very well. The RS version even more so. I always audition kit at my dealers with the RS3's.

My speakers have stayed put despite a huge leap in the amplification, just a lovely natural sound.

Possibly I will be looking at either Rega RS5 or another model but safe to say the RS3's punch well well above their weight (cost) to a point where I would say you would have to spend at least double to improve on them.

The Rega - Naim synergy is a match made in heaven IMO

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:

I have had my R3 speakers with my Naim Nait XS amp and now my 202/200 combo. They perform very very well. The RS version even more so. I always audition kit at my dealers with the RS3's.

My speakers have stayed put despite a huge leap in the amplification, just a lovely natural sound.

... The Rega - Naim synergy is a match made in heaven IMO

That just underlines how important actually listening to something is and makes my guess which was no more than that, an assumption, wrong.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
byronmorris:Cold Roses:

I`ve had a loan of a pair of RS1s since Friday and I am very impressed - there is more depth and detail compared to my 10.1s. This is to be expected I suppose as they are twice the price - but still very good value I would say.

I have to take them back to the dealer on Tuesday and I will be ordering a pair straight away - a Christmas present to myself
emotion-2.gif

Well, I'd be very happy with a pair of RS1s for christmas. It's nice to hear that your dealer gave you a pair on home demo and, moreover, that you have got on with the RS1s so well. I'm sure that I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but there's certainly a lot to be said for the Rega synergy (particularly, at this price point).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts