Rega Saturn or Cyrus/Naim for classical music..?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For me, it would be Rega all the way, (followed by Naim), as I find it more musical and analogue sounding.

I find Cyrus too forward and analytical and Naim too "in yer face" , almost throwing the music at you.......but this should not influence your buying decision, which has to be done by a demo.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have owned the Saturn as well as a Naim CD5XS and pound for pound the Rega is better value for the money.

Although I would add, pair a Naim player with the right amp and speakers it doesn't have to come across too forward... superbly built machines too.

Would not touch Cyrus... heard too many horror stories about reliability issues.

Mac

krolikgena said:
What would be a right amp for Saturn? up to £2500 i was actually considering Naim XS setup..

That XS could be a winner with the Saturn. Rega generally goes well with Naim (forum member True Blue has this combo), however, would still urge you to listen to Naim XS CDP with the amp before committing yourself.

What amp are you considering around £2.5k?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
krolikgena said:
What would be a right amp for Saturn? up to £2500 i was actually considering Naim XS setup..

For classical music, I would seriously look at:

Sugden A21 SE (first choice)

Lavardin IS

Electrocompaniet ECI-3

Musical Fidelity M6i

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
krolikgena said:

For classical music, I would seriously look at:

Sugden A21 SE (first choice)

Lavardin IS

Electrocompaniet ECI-3

Musical Fidelity M6i

What he said and in the same order

grin.gif

Personally didn't like the ATC... very dry.

Another brand to consider is Croft.

Mac

A

Anonymous

As per my sig, Cyrus fan so suggest you go listen... why not?

Yes it is very revealing, I do not see that as a fault!

I do not find anything much missing in my setup.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi, IMO the saturn is the best pound for pound CDP on the market. Especially at the lower price.

Rega CDPs sound very analogue in their presentation. TBH though I would suggest an apollo and rega DAC for the same price.

Nothing in the Naim range around the same price point is around the saturn. The next big jump up would be a CDx2 with an external power supply and then your in rega ISIS cost territory.

Cyrus to my ears is too harsh / clinical.

Really depends upon which speakers you intend to use, as to whether you prefer the Naim amplification or Rega sound.

I ran the saturn / XS combo for a year or so and absolutely loved it, with a pair of rega R3's on the end.

Really its up to your ears.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hijack,

trueblue you have the Saturn CDP, do you use it as a transport with your Rega DAC? Is the DAC in the Saturn on par with the standalone DAC?

Woukd be interested as currently using a marantz transport with a Rega DAC and it sounds very good, just seeing if I can get any improvement with a Rega transport

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
True blue

Does using the rega dac fed by the transport in your opinion sound better than the Saturn alone? Just interested as there seems to be mixed opinions if the rega dac is superior to the rega Saturn in terms of SQ.

thanks

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
True blue

Does using the rega dac fed by the transport in your opinion sound better than the Saturn alone? Just interested as there seems to be mixed opinions if the rega dac is superior to the rega Saturn in terms of SQ.

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts