Rega Saturn CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently auditioned both the Rega Apollo & Saturn CD players and was extremely impressed by both, with the Saturn having a more 'grown up' sound and being the preferable player of the 2. My question is regarding the suggested amplification if purchashing the Saturn. The dealer I originally listened to the player at put it together with the Rega Mira/Maia amplifier combination in a bi-amplifier setup. This sounded good, but I haven't yet managed to audition it with anything else to compare. I have spoken to another Rega Dealer who has told me that they do not recommend Rega amplifiers as they consider there are better alternatives. When I told him that in my current system I use an Audiolab 8000A, he informed me that he would consider the Rega Mira/Maia solution a sideways move rather than an upgrade and he would actually prefer the sound of the Audiolab. He suggested putting it together with a Naim NAC 122x/NAP 150x solution instead, with the possibility of a complete Naim solution by using the CD5x as an alternative to the Saturn. I intend to arrange a demonstration at this 2nd dealer to put this to the test, but unfortunately as this can only take place on a Saturday it will mean leaving it until after Christmas and therefore could take several months before I can make a decision I appreciate that it is only myself who can decide which CD/amplifier I prefer, but I would appreciate any input from anyone who may have heard either combination. Many thanks in advance

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I love the Saturn, it does so many thing right and for the price it is a bargain. I also like Rega speakers but not amp!

I heard it with Primare i30 and the sysnergy was there, However I have a feeling that The Rega can be partner with even better amp but Naim? I am not so sure. Let us know how the demo goes. :)

A

Anonymous

hi
i am thinking of buying the saturn too. i listened to both saturn and apollo and of course preferred the saturn. i am wondering what other cd players you listened to before deciding on the saturn, and if any came close to the saturn at that price. thanks and good luck.
jc

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jcvv"]before deciding on the saturn, and if any came close to the saturn at that
price.[/quote]

£1500 mark cdp market look very healthy at the moment, the contenders are...

Musical Fidelity A5 which has a great sound stage and smooth treble, can be had now for under a grand.

Meridian G06 - Some may say it lack a bit of drive for rock music but don't ignor it's ability to analysis what is on your disc, great dynamic too......classical music fan's heaven.

Marantz SA-15s1 - Up beat proformer which suited to Rock and dance, not the last word on details but (apparantly) it will play SACD as good as many that cost twice as much.

Cyrus 8X + PSX-R - I never heard the new Cyrus cd player (what is the model call? you know the one with in car looking cd slot!) but the 8X come very close to my favourate Cyrus 7Q in a spine tickering department and has a very good resolution.....partner wrongly can be bright though.

Unison Research UNICO CD - Bags of bass, great dynamic swing...a rhytem king.

A

Anonymous

For various reasons it has taken me a while to be able to organise a dealer demo, however it was extremely revealing (in more ways than one).

He started of with the Rega Apollo through my own Audiolab 8000A amplifier, using Focal Chorus 816V speakers.

This sounded alright but lacked any real punch or dynamics to the sound.

He then changed the Apollo for the Naim CD5i and it was if someone had taken a veil away from the speakers, with the music coming forward, being far more dynamic and suddenly acquiring a base line.

The next upgrade was to the Rega Saturn but unfortunately he couldn't get this to work, we tried various CD's and it came up each time that it had no disc. The dealer mentioned that this machine was a replacement for a previous demo model that had done exactly the same thing. I wasn't therefore able to listen to it, so we then went onto the Naim CD5x.

Again this just went up another stage and started having the 'wow' factor. I was hearing things in the music I had not heard before.

The dealer had then intended to start on amplification with the Naim CD5i, but he was so impressed with the way my Audiolab was coping he thought this would be a sideways move rather than an upgrade. He therefore turned to the 122x/150x pre/power combo.

Again this took the music to another level and I can't explain exactly what the differences were other than it sounded fantastic.

After spending months attempting to make a decision before this demo, I immediately placed an order for both the CD & pre/power combo - which shows how impressed I was.

Looking forward to now setting it up at home.

Hope this helps

TRENDING THREADS