Rega Rs5 vs. Monitor Audio Silver Rx6

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
I am going to purchase new speakers and the choice has been narrowed to the ones in subject. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to directly compare them in an audition since where I live they are sold by different shops.

I would really appreciate your advice and opinions considering my electronics and that most of all I listen to jazz (vocal), classical and some lounge. I look especially for clarity, musicality and a wide and deep soundstage.

Thank you!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO you'd be best to partner your amp with the Rega RS5's and then look to the future re selling your NAD CDP and buying the Rega Apollo.

The M/A RX6 speakers are superb and the Brio is more than capable of driving them but Rega amps sound very good indeed with their own speakers and IMHO the M/A RX6's need a real gutsy amp to get the best out of them as they like to be driven hard
emotion-1.gif

I'd also be tempted to look at Regas own speaker cable and interconnects as they make for the best synergy although I heard the RS5's with the Brio 3 and Mira amps and the QED XT400 and Revelation speaker cable did very well.

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Dan.

But you think that Regas would be the best choice only regarding the sinergy with my amp?

I see that you own Montior Audios, could you mention me their pros and cons after listened to them regularly?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The M/A RX6 speakers are superb.

They have solid, deep and taut bass in abundance but this doesnt overpower the rest of the soundstage. The midrange is smooth but very detailed and clear and the treble is precise and crip but without being harsh or clinical.

With my electronics and taste in music (I listen to a lot of electronica but I do enjoy some jazz, clasical and retro music as well (i.e. Bonzo Dog, Jethro Tull etc...) the M/A RX6 speakers are stunning; more so when driven well with the NAD C355BEE amp!

For your tastes in music and your amp and CDP; I really do think that the Rega RS5's would be a better fit as they have a solid synergy with other Rega gear but I found that they are a superb speaker for classical, vocal and jazz music.

As I said above your amp would work well with the M/A RX6 speakers but I dont think it'll drive them to their fullest postential whereas the Brio amp will do the Rega RS5's justice
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I loved/ and still love the detail and clarity of my Rega RS1's.Absolutely class kit.Pity they are doing nothing at the moment after being replaced by my dali's....

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the precious advice. And I have to confirm that you were perfectly right.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to make a little tour de force: I loaded my Brio amp and Nad 525bee cdp in my car and went with my cds to first shop. I auditioned Rs5 speakers with my amp and cdp: they sounded ok but overall a bit lifeless and flat. I asked to switch my player with Rega Apollo and.....wow, it made all the difference, like day and night: music became alive, present in an holografic way, but with a sweet delicacy, not harshness at all. I asked to switch speakers with a similar model from Castle they had on display: the result was undewhelming under all aspects.

So I borrowed Apollo cdp and headed to the second shop. I auditioned MA RX6 with my Brio amp and Nad cdp: good low frequences but again a bit dull and not soundstage at all. I switched to Apollo player, things became better but still not right, better detail and musicality, but still lack of soundstage and sound overall a bit fatiguing. I asked to try with a more powerful amp, Nad c375bee.....the RX6 came suddenly truly alive, the music was finally there as I wanted, and the difference switching players now was very thin. Sill, and now it's probably a matter of personal taste, a bit too much bass and high frequencies a bit rolled off. I asked to try a pair of older Monitor Audio RS6, and for me and my kind of music seemed the right answer: less bass (better, let's say less precise bass) but midrange and highs like I wish them, good scene and soundstage, and that also with my kit (but leaving undisputed supremacy to Apollo even compared to Nad 545 cdp (again my personal opinion only)). Just the presentation of the RS6 was a bit too much "in your face" and gave a slight hint of fatigue.

So the final decision was made: I went back to first shop and bought both Apollo and RS5 speakers........and I'm truly happy (most important and unbelievable......my wife supported me in buying also new player
emotion-3.gif
)

Praise to you and also to WHF team for January issue's supertest!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
just found the distributor from rega and many other good hifi brands right in my code area. Rega speakers are actually cheaper than monitor audio. Rega rs1....390 euros.sound lovely to me , but I have nevver heard them before...are they really really good?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ear:jRega speakers are actually cheaper than monitor audio. Rega rs1....390 euros.sound lovely to me , but I have nevver heard them before...are they really really good?

Oh yes.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
ear:jRega speakers are actually cheaper than monitor audio. Rega rs1....390 euros.sound lovely to me , but I have nevver heard them before...are they really really good?

Oh yes.

...I second that. Very good for the money and very talented with all but drum and bass. They don't do badly there either...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ear:thats a keeper.I feel the same way about the rs6 and rx6. rega must be mch better than those.

Thats bit of a daft comment!

Rega and Monitor Audio speakers are both very good; it's all down the individual and personl tastes in music and the individuals hearing as well

You do come out with some daft comments...

A

Anonymous

ear:just found the distributor from rega and many other good hifi brands right in my code area. Rega speakers are actually cheaper than monitor audio. Rega rs1....390 euros.sound lovely to me , but I have nevver heard them before...are they really really good?Which makes you wonder why Monitor Audio had to move their production to China to compete while Rega did not.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:ear:thats a keeper.I feel the same way about the rs6 and rx6. rega must be mch better than those. Thats bit of a daft comment! Rega and Monitor Audio speakers are both very good; it's all down the individual and personl tastes in music and the individuals hearing as well You do come out with some daft comments...

I completly agree, i demo'd both and prefered the rx6's with the more powerfull mira3 & apollo so as you say its all down to personal taste and musical preferences.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:chebby:

Oh yes.

...I second that. Very good for the money and very talented with all but drum and bass. They don't do badly there either...

How much deep to they go? the specs dont even mention the size of the bass mid driver.have you compared them with the SA1 igglebert?

A

Anonymous

No, never compared them to the SA1s. It all gets a bit subjective due to different rooms and different amps, etc. I would strongly recommend the RS3s (or even RS5s) for smaller rooms because their bass is much more tight and controlled than many equivilently priced floorstanders. The RS1s are excellent but we're not talking a lot of bass here.

Ear, get yourself a demo starting with the RS1 (near a wall) and then the RS3. You can decide for yourself whether they suit the music you listen to.

As for the SA1s, their bass is a different story...

A

Anonymous

ear:HELLO!?
...the Rega range are pretty fast sounding speakers, something I think you'll appreciate...

A

Anonymous

ear:I will as soon as i can.but i like some bassy tunes from time to time
...then try the RS3 or RS5. Failing that, the current offerings from MA will apparently rock 'da house...

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
nah.no MA for me.but maybe the rx2 are the best of them.even so i dont like them much, but they seem to be the model from silevr range that separates instruments better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts