Rega RP40 Anniversary turntable.

OMG - It looks like any other Rega TT, albeit quite nice, with a sky blue platter and a migraine-inducing red anti-static mat... and '40' printed in a jaunty way. It probably cost more than the RP3 with a comparable performance.

A suckling musical lorry springs to mind.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
domenn said:
It will be priced at £798.00

That includes the Elys40 cart and individually 'tuned' TT-PSU.

The normal or 'stock' RP3 (with fitted Elys 2 cart) is £549 and the TT-PSU is normally £198 so the RP40 package comes with a £51 premium.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
domenn said:

What does that mean? it's a pretty empty statement. It's like me saying I've had my Alfa "individually tuned". Clarity would be good from either Rega themselves or the learned guys on here.

I am only quoting Rega from the flyer I linked to above.

Here it is in full...

"A custom TT-PSU will be included which will be hand tuned to each individual motor before fitting to the deck. (a level of fine tuning only found on the RP8 and previously the Planar 9 turntable). This will maximise the efficiency of the anti-vibration circuit whilst still offering the convenience of electronic speed change."

I have made no judgement of this product at all. I just provided links to Rega's announcement.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
domenn said:

What does that mean? it's a pretty empty statement. It's like me saying I've had my Alfa "individually tuned". Clarity would be good from either Rega themselves or the learned guys on here.

Here it is in full...

"A custom TT-PSU will be included which will be hand tuned to each individual motor before fitting to the deck. (a level of fine tuning only found on the RP8 and previously the Planar 9 turntable). This will maximise the efficiency of the anti-vibration circuit whilst still offering the convenience of electronic speed change."

I have made no judgement of this product at all. I just provided links to Rega's announcement.

Not having a 'pop' at you, but I am totally dismayed by companies that bring out "Anniversary Editions" or "Limited Editions" or "Special Editions". The same with Kef claiming the LS50s is based around the old BBC monitors. Don't doubt those old speakers used Kef units, but the only real connection is that both are made from paper or Kevlar or some other suitable substance and bounce when music is played. To their credit, though, at least they've introduced a totally new design. This is in stark contrast to Rega who've just used the chasis, arm, bearings... from existing models and added a couple of Union flag stickers. Ludicrous.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
domenn said:

Here it is in full...

Not having a 'pop' at you, but I am totally dismayed by companies that bring out "Anniversary Editions" or "Limited Editions" or "Special Editions". The same with Kef claiming the LS50s is based around the old BBC monitors. Don't doubt those old speakers used Kef units, but the only real connection is that both are made from paper or Kevlar or some other suitable substance and bounce when music is played. To their credit, though, at least they've introduced a totally new design. This is in stark contrast to Rega who've just used the chasis, arm, bearings... from existing models and added a couple of Union flag stickers. Ludicrous.

Thought it looked nice and only £51 premium not bad really :oops:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mmmh, dont know. Its a nice turntable and 40 years is something to celebrate.

In a way its good they've chosen an 'affordable' product to do so.

It would still make this rega cheaper than the Clearaudio Concept. Both are unsuspended particle board base record decks. Not exactly ideal but I can see Rega selling these limited edition ones as fast as they appear in the showroom ... if they ever get that far.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ah well... Let's get an Elicit R then
wink.png

my thoughts exactly!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
This is in stark contrast to Rega who've just used the chasis, arm, bearings... from existing models and added a couple of Union flag stickers. Ludicrous.

If it aint broke then it dont need fixing!

Rega TTs are made from particle board, with no mass - we all know this - however they work, they sound great and they are targeted to the masses - in the hifi world! This appeals to a lot of people on these forums with the ease of set up and they just play muisc well without any fuss or pretence. Yes they probably dont sound as good as a Sondek or Orbe but they are close enough for most people!

Any way I have just put a GT SubPlatter on mine - suddenly the noise floor has gone WTF?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Why would you spend so much on a glorified RP3, when you can get a RP6 for £549?

Just an observation, not a dig anyone.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Why would you spend so much on a glorified RP3, when you can get a RP6 for £549?

Just an observation, not a dig anyone.

Got that cart fitted yet fella?

Cart is still in the hands of our beloved postal service, unfortunately.

RP6 is still in it's box too. Maybe tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif

matthewpiano

Hmmm, its a celebratory product and for someone who hasn't yet purchased an RP3, it might be an option given that it includes the £200 TT PSU as well as the tweaked cartridge and the new drive belt. I sincerely doubt it has been aimed at existing RP3 owners. I certainly wouldn't consider it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts