Rega RP3 with Elys 2 or Goldring 1012 GX Cartridge?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys!

I'm in the process of buying a RP3 TT, my dealer advise me the Goldring 1012 gx cartridge instead of the Elys 2.

I've demo the RP3 connected direcly to the Brio R with the 1012 gx with some of my vinyl records (and my Dyns X12) and, my and my wife jaw dropped to the floor....

Forget all the 24-96 hi-res files played through my rega DAC/SBT combo, this is in a all new different league.

My question is as i didn't demo the RP3 with the Elys 2 cartridge, is it worth the extra 100€ for the Goldring 1012 gx?

thanks

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
I would say that sonically that is good value for 100 Euros, the GX 1042 is even better but if you can accept the higher cost of a replacement stylus for the 1012 GX over the Elys then I would go for it!

Thanks Alears for your input.

:cheers:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Jealous - An RP3 with Elys 2 is my next upgrade - I love vinyl!

Hi Stevebrock

Me and my wife we've been listening to vinyl all weekend, and my god it is so different from my early days, the Brio R and the Dyns seems they were made to listening to vinyl! And my TT is a old sheap Technics but the sound from it is lovely!

I don't reamember ever to have the quality that i have today!!!

I'm a happy dude!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
It's probably the trickiest of purchases since the chances of auditioning are rare. I'm looking to upgrade the AT-95e on my P3 but I'm torn between several cartridges trying to find one that suits my tastes.......just to make matters worse I've tweaked my cartridge as I was unhappy with the slightly harsh sibilance I was getting (this was set up by a dealer by the way) and this has opened up the sound noticebly to the point where I will probably put off the purchase just a little bit longer. :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Just be careful.........when you get a good mastered/recorded/pressing played on a decent TT then nothing digital beats it IMHO

But you can get poor pressings just like we get poor CDS

I do own a lot of duplicates on Vinyl & CD and mostly the vinyl sounds the best!

However my SBT & DAC sounds incredible but offering the flexibilty of instant access, playlists & random playt etc so we have the best of both worlds!

I am still stunned when I play Roxy Music - Avalon on my RP1, it sounds incredible, so musical and involving - love it!

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well to make things even more complicated if you are looking at the 1012gx, you should also probably consider Goldring's 2300 which is cheaper, but also uses the same Gyger II diamond stylus. The 1k series have been around a long time and are tried and tested, the 2 k series is a newer design and the major difference is that they are actually built by Nagoaka in Japan rather than Goldring in the UK. Like the 1k series they also get very good reviews. Certainly I've been impressed by the cheaper 2100 that I use, and that I got in preference to the Goldring 1006 (the only problem was the rounded body design of the 2100 made using a protractor grid to line it up slightly harder). You pays yer money etc...
smiley-laughing.gif

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
Well to make things even more complicated if you are looking at the 1012gx, you should also probably consider Goldring's 2300 which is cheaper, but also uses the same Gyger II diamond stylus. The 1k series have been around a long time and are tried and tested, the 2 k series is a newer design and the major difference is that they are actually built by Nagoaka in Japan rather than Goldring in the UK. Like the 1k series they also get very good reviews. Certainly I've been impressed by the cheaper 2100 that I use, and that I got in preference to the Goldring 1006 (the only problem was the rounded body design of the 2100 made using a protractor grid to line it up slightly harder). You pays yer money etc...
smiley-laughing.gif

Thanks Cap Duff I will have a talk with my rega dealer as he is a dealer for Goldring in Portugal as well!

Thanks again!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Tomorow WILL be the DAY!!!!

A new Rega RP3/Goldring 1012gx will be home!

I'll post some pics!

Thank you ALL!

Well done, sure it will sound good. I've finally decided on the 1042 after weeks of deliberation :beer:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
lovely how does it sound?

Compared to my old entry level Technics it sounds like from another wourld!

I only had time to listen to 3 sides yesterday, but the differences are quite audible!

Detail, bass and treble, even the sound stage are more present.

For know is all that i can say...

i'm a happy dude!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts