Rega Rp1 Pro pack - Would like advise on decent amp & speakers to match

squidded

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

As the subject suggests I have a Rega RP1 record player with Pro pack, and I would like to get a decent amp and speakers to get the most out of my vinyl.

I have checked out the 'Best Buys' section and am thinking about the following:

Amp:

Rotel RA-10

Marantz PM6004

Rega Brio-R

Speakers:

Rumark Audio MR1

Q Acoustics Conept 20

KEF Q300

Tannoy Revolution DC6

Q Acoustics 2050i

Should I worry about what works best with what? Or will all of these combos work fine? If anyone has any recomendations that would be great. Does it matter what music I am planning on listening to? If so it will be a lot of rock 70's through to more recent bands, some classical music and some old blues / soul and funk records. I would really like to be blown away by the sound that is produced and really be able to notice the difference / benefits of vinyl.

Many thanks in advance to any help/advse you can give.

Kind regards,

James

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
imho the Brio R is the best amp there and it has a great phono stage!

Then demo all the speakers and see what you like best with the Brio R

squidded

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your advise.

It there a store that you would recommend to de able to test/trial all of these combinations?

Kind regards,

James

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have always been a fan of marantz but without ever having listened to any of your list I would also start with the matching rega amp, oh and add neat motives to your list of speakers have a feeling they might go well with a rega amp.

squidded

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your replies guys.

The Rega Brio-R does seem to have quite a reputation. Definitely going to look into that. The closest Rega dealer to me isGrahams http://www.grahams.co.uk They look a little scary to me! They have some seriously expensive gear so Im just gonna be small fry asking about the Rega Brio-R which it doesnt even look as though they stock? Weird! Will have to give them a call.

I havent heard of Neat Motives? Which model are you recommending? I looked them up but they seem a very expensive. The speakers I was looking at are in the £300 - £500 bracket.

Thanks once again for all your advice, it really does help me form an idea of what components to try.

J

A

Anonymous

squidded said:
Thanks for your replies guys.

The Rega Brio-R does seem to have quite a reputation. Definitely going to look into that. The closest Rega dealer to me isGrahams http://www.grahams.co.uk They look a little scary to me! They have some seriously expensive gear so Im just gonna be small fry asking about the Rega Brio-R which it doesnt even look as though they stock? Weird! Will have to give them a call.

I havent heard of Neat Motives? Which model are you recommending? I looked them up but they seem a very expensive. The speakers I was looking at are in the £300 - £500 bracket.

Thanks once again for all your advice, it really does help me form an idea of what components to try.

J

Just looked at there site and they do list the Brio R. Think they will be quite happy with your business and

if they're good will help out with demoing different components and give advice.

Give them a call and arrange a demo

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
squidded said:
They look a little scary to me! They have some seriously expensive gear so Im just gonna be small fry asking about the Rega Brio-R which it doesnt even look as though they stock?

Dont fret about stuff like that mate , just call them or pop in. They do have the Brio according to their webby site. A sale is a sale these days I doubt very much they will say go away small fry :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
your mind works in devious ways Keithster

Anyway back to the Job in hand......get a demo of some B&Ws, Epos & Rega with the Shops Brio & RP1 - pick which ones you like best - simples!

squidded

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Haha! :cheer:

Awesome! Your all a bunch of nutters! :rofl:

Thank you so much for all that advise. I will eBay whats left of my gear (Yamaha DSP-A5 and speakers) save up the rest of my pennies, grab a few records of mine and book an appointment with them.

Will check out the combination with all those speakers you mention.

Yeah, I was checking their old stock too, some great deals! But not what Im after. I must stick to the plan!! :grin:

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Squidded, as others have said, no reason to be concerned about Grahams. If they didn't believe in the kit, they wouldn't bother to stock it. Grahams used to be my local Hifi shop (I've since moved), and I've only ever had great service from them. It so happens that a Rega Brio 3 was the first item I ever bought from them and they treated me no differently to customers buying kit 20x the price. I had over an hour in their listening room, trying the Brio with various speakers and also listening to a few of their more expensive amps as a comparison. The sales guy was knowledgeable and helpful, without being to pushy/instrusive. A thoroughly enjoyable demo experience.

At least from my experience, they know the value of good customer service. Since buying the Brio I've been back numerous times and spent lots more money there.

By the way, Grahams sell vinyl too (at least they used to), so you may what to factor in some time to browse the racks. Whilst we're on the subject, I'm not sure how well you know the area, but there are a few good record shops in that part of Islington (particularly, along Essex Road).

squidded

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi Cold Roses,

Many thanks for the great reply. If they are that good I will be over the moon :) Shame they dont have ALL the speakers I would like to test, but then I guess you cant have everything. Do you still have the Brio-3? Are you happy with it? What speakers did you get to go with it?

Thanks for the tip on the record stores, so far I have inherited my parents and grand parents record collections! So I have multipul Max Bygraves albums and way too many Christmas albums!! Hahaha! But there are a few great classics too that I am dying to hear on a good system. Anyone know of a good place to sell records?

As soon as I have raised the cash I will be knocking on their door :wave:

Thanks

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts