Rega RP1 or Pro-Ject Essential 2 ?

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I know this one has been done to death, but I just cannot make my mind up. Its a toss up between the Rega RP1 or Pro-Ject Essential 2.

have been mulling over the purchase of either of these turntables for quite a while. Only occassional use so don't want to spend mega bucks.

I was all set to get the Rega but there is a lot of talk about issues with QC and platter wobble so I am again in two minds...

Anyone care to throw in their two penny's worth??

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
No wobble problems on my Nad C555 wich is a rebadged Rega P2 (not RP 2) , as the Goldring GR 1.2 . Better tonearm than the RP1 If you're in

UK you shouldn't have too much pain finding one of these 3 preowned and well taken care of . Pay attention Rega P2 must be made after the year 2000 when they redesigned the motor and it's placement on the tt. the price should be under the 300L they ask now for the RP1 (probably in the 120-200 L ?)

Don't know about the pro ject.

Both of these TT's are very reasonable starters. If you have any nagging doubts about Rega build quality then get the Pro-ject.

Simples!

There is some mileage in buying second-hand but if you want a TT ready set up to go then stick with your choices.

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comments and ideas. More to ponder...lol

Just having a quick look on ebay for older Planar P2/3.. and the re-badged NAD.

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Having done loads of research and reading reviews I decided to put the extra money towards a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, which duly arrived today from Richer Sounds.

It took only a short time to unpack, set up and calibrate (10-15 mins) and straight away playing vinyl. Man, this is a nice turntable for the money. I got a tenner off at Richer Sounds as I am a member of their VIP club, so price was £315 and free delivery. I chose the white one, and it looks superb. Nice finish on it and a heavy platter...all in all a nice weighty and solid piece of kit. It has the Ortofon 2m Red as stock stylus and this is well regarded I believe??

It sounds really nice.

No hum from the motor!!! I noticed some reviewers (mostly US?) were complaining about excessive 'hum' from the motor. Well, no rumblings or hum here.

Overall I am very impressed and glad I spent the extra £80-90 quid over the Rega RP1 or Essential.

I noticed in a couple of reviews about 'cartridge break in', ie, the sound will get better as the stylus is used a bit. What sort of time frame is this?

Just enjoying my old Gong, Hawkwind, Black Sabbath stuff right now...sounds sweet.

Dali Zensor 1's , Denon amp, Cambridge Audio phono stage, and home made tube pre-amp...lol

Thanks for the replies by the way.

Good choice. You will be glad you spent the extra. The Ortofon 3M Red is standard fit on a lot of the starter turntables, it is not brilliant but as you can tell it does the job. Cartridge break-in , if it exists, will not make a huge difference to the sound you already have. I'd hazzard a guess and say that once the TT has 'settled' to your normal room temperature etc then after playing a couple of LP's it is going to be as good as it gets.

Anyway, don't worry about that just enjoy the music. :)

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, thanks Al ears...

Yes, I am very happy with the carbon. Just listening to some old lp's now and its sweet.

Glad I spent the extra few quid.

In the future, what would you recommend for a replacement stylus? perhaps the Ortofon blue? that gets good reviews

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
The 2M Blue is a significant step up from the 2M Red, no worries there. You might wish to consider the Nagaoka MP-110 also. A good deal cheaper than the 2M Blue, but a fine cartridge nonetheless. I own both and have no hesitation in recommending both.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
The 2M Blue is a significant step up from the 2M Red, no worries there. You might wish to consider the Nagaoka MP-110 also. A good deal cheaper than the 2M Blue, but a fine cartridge nonetheless. I own both and have no hesitation in recommending both.

+1

The Ortofon 2M Blue is the obvious upgrade because you can simply replace the stylus at approx. £129. If you think the Ortofon 'sound' is the one for you then this is the way to go as the blue is a significant upgrade.

As others have posted here though I think you would get a 'better' sound by changing to a Nagaoka cartridge, it may be me but I find them a much better all-rounder than the Ortofons.

The MP-110 has been mentioned but this may be a sort of sideways move, wait until you can afford the MP-200 for even more enjoyment. :)

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations on styli guys. Replacing the red with a blue is the easiest option I reckon.

Am I right in saying that the blue simply slides in?

If I changed to one of the others recommended, that would involve completely re-calibrating, right? Is this an easy task?

thanks for your knowledge

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
newwy said:
Thanks for the recommendations on styli guys. Replacing the red with a blue is the easiest option I reckon.

Am I right in saying that the blue simply slides in?

If I changed to one of the others recommended, that would involve completely re-calibrating, right? Is this an easy task?

thanks for your knowledge

yes the stylus just slides in - they are interchangable

regards to changing cart - yes you would need to realign and set VTF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts