Rega RP1...dust cover yes or no??

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Am thinking of moving the RP1 to the 2nd shelf of my unit and since would necessitate it losing its dust cover i was wondering what people's thoughts were about that...thanks!

starkiller said:
Am thinking of moving the RP1 to the 2nd shelf of my unit and since would necessitate it losing its dust cover i was wondering what people's thoughts were about that...thanks!

Personally I wouldn't have a turntable without a dustcover of some sort but you could try it and see.

Many, especially the acrylic ones are real dust-magnets, and dust around a turntable is not such a good idea. I take it your shelf is not height-adjustable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You only said you were 'thinking' about moving it.

Assuming therefore it's not a necessity then what's the benefit going to be?

Another downside is the limited space with which to put on records and flip sides. To my mind it's going to feel 'wrong' and - maybe - lead to mistakes and accidents.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i,d def keep the cover on, you,d be gutted if you damaged something, either from extra cleaning from lack of cover or as chebby says, changing a record from an awkward position

stevebrock said:
bloody hell i need a dust cover for my Gyro

Oooh! That's gonna cost you...

Precisely why I was looking at the full Gyro rather than the SE when I was looking for a new TT.

Michells own cover is very expensive for a bit of acrylic but there are third-party producers (on ebay) that do a good job. To be honest I wouldn't consider keeping a turntable wthout some sort of dust cover and my house is not particularly dusty.

PS: there's an ebay shop called Trent-Plastics that will do one big enought to cover a Gyro for £92.50p

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:
drummerman said:
Yup, leave the dust cover on.

What you really need is my Sony servo front loader :)
sounds awsome drummerman......is that from the 80s ?

Sorry, only just saw this.

Yes, its from the early 80's. I got it in a little sad state, took the whole thing apart, cleaned it and paint sprayed it black. I have taken pictures during the proceedure (as I have with a Thorens suspension, Denon amplifier repair and others) but can't post pictures on this retched forum since it changed to the new format.

Looks like new and watching the drawer slide out whilst the smoked front sceen goes down is kinda cute.

I even managed to source a brand new matching Sony front batch from Poland at the time which, incidentally, still has its sticky backing, waiting to be fixed to the face :)

It's no Thorens but it sounds big, warm and driving. I assume its the sound most folks new to vinyl would call 'analogue' :). It even had a new stylus.

I did offer it to someone on here who had a bit of personal trouble free a while ago as I don't use it often but it was not required and I kind of like it. So rather than selling it off I would like to see it go to a good home :)

If not, I happily keep it until I run out of space

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts