Rega R3 Replacements

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

Looking for your input for an audition list for some speakers to replace my Rega R3's. Whilst i have loved the R3's over the years i am looking for a replacement, the R3's will go into a 2nd room at some point. My only criticsm of them is that they are perhaps a tad lean when partnered with Cyrus.

Anyway i listen to mainly rock with a bit of vocal and Jazz thrown in, im looking for a good overall speaker and nothing leaning too far in any direction. They will be paired with a Cyrus 8vs2, CD8X, Dacmagic and Sonos Connect.

Ideally i am looking at floorstanders but won't rule out bookshelf, around £700 budget. Happy to consider 2nd hand too but ideally from a dealer.

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I've used mine (two pairs of R3s over 7 years) with Arcam, Naim and Marantz systems and continue to be a fan. Be careful what you replace them with.

Rega RS3s might seem to be the obvious suggestion but they are taller, uglier and very expensive for what they do. (And - having heard both variants - I still prefer the sound of my R3s.)

p.s If I found Cyrus gear upsetting my R3s, the Cyrus gear would go back :)

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
I've used mine (two pairs of R3s over 7 years) with Arcam, Naim and Marantz systems and continue to be a fan. Be careful what you replace them with.

Rega RS3s might seem to be the obvious suggestion but they are taller, uglier and very expensive for what they do. (And - having heard both variants - I still prefer the sound of my R3s.)

p.s If I found Cyrus gear upsetting my R3s, the Cyrus gear would go back :)

Chebby

To be honest i have been more than happy with them for the last 7 or so years and i think they are a great speaker, especially for the money. They seem to go well with all types of music but occasionally i find them a tad lean. One of them has started to "fart" slightly so i suspect i may need a replacement RR125 driver. Whilst this isn't a big deal in it'self i wondered if it was the right time to maybe look at an upgrade and see what is out there. Only early days but i wondered what people would recommend.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Two years ago I demoed Rega RS3's, Tannoy DC6T's, and Kef Q500's, then choosing both the RS3's and DC6T's to demo at home. I liked both but put off a purchase at the time.

The Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE version - which by all accounts was a good step up from the DC6T (and a WHF winner) was originally £1000 - they are now £499 from Richer Sounds - that's got to be worth a listen.

Also, if you really liked the Rega RS5's - search the 'bay' for them, there are a number going for well under £700 - mostly slight seconds which usually means a flaw in the wood veneer or something that you won't really notice. I got tempted by an 'open box' pair with a significant discount - so I was very happy with my purchase.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Two years ago I demoed Rega RS3's, Tannoy DC6T's, and Kef Q500's, then choosing both the RS3's and DC6T's to demo at home. I liked both but put off a purchase at the time.

The Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE version - which by all accounts was a good step up from the DC6T (and a WHF winner) was originally £1000 - they are now £499 from Richer Sounds - that's got to be worth a listen.

Also, if you really liked the Rega RS5's - search the 'bay' for them, there are a number going for well under £700 - mostly slight seconds which usually means a flaw in the wood veneer or something that you won't really notice. I got tempted by an 'open box' pair with a significant discount - so I was very happy with my purchase. 

Thanks, I have seen the Tannoy offer but couldn't audition them. I can get the RS5's brand new for £649 which is pretty good so I am tempted.

Does anybody know how the Tannoys stack up against these or the B&W's?

I will try and audition anyway.

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Bump. It's only going to cost £50 to repair my speakers so i may just keep them depending on how good they sound when i get them back. Just curious about the Tannoys because of the cost.

I am arranging an audition anyway but this may not be for a couple of weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts