Rega Planar 3 Vs Rega RPM / Pro-Ject Genie 3

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

As you may be aware I am currently looking at purchasing a Rega Planar 3 from a well know auction site.....However I noticed that these are going for £200.00 to £250.00 as a rule for a turntable that is probably at least 10 years old and in most cases will probably need a new cartridge (probably another £50.00 to £100). So my question is this:

I am aware that I can purchase a brand new Rega RP1 or Pro-Ject Genie III for the same price.......how does the Planar 3 compare to these new turntables soundwise??

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Tricky one. The Planar 3 should edge the RP1, but only if it is is good nick - a slightly worn bearing or mistreated RB300 and the RP1 may edge it.

Both should comfortably beat the Genie.

IMO the Planar 3 has a bit of a halo effect at the mo - similar to the LP12 in that people seem happy to be paying over the odds for it - in most cases more than it's original retail price.

A

Anonymous

Not sure on the RP1, but the older P1 sounded truly terrible when I did the P1, P2, P3/24 back to back dem.

Maybe look at a P2, there is one on a certain well know auction site currently - over time it can be upgraded too(counterweight, platter etc.).

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
How did the Planar 2 come out btw? I still have mine after buying over 10 years ago and it's still good, thinking of upgrading but not sure it's worth it for sound quality.

A

Anonymous

I thought a well set-up P2 and P3 were pretty close when they had the same cart on the them, the RB250 and 300 are real similar after all.

I think I would take a P2 wand spend any leftover cash on a better cart, phono stage or even interconnect if I was buying an entry TT now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts