rega or cyrus

aversaurus

On this sad day.I'm looking to change my amp ones I'm looking at are the rega Brio 3 or the Cyrus 6a dac.i would use a Cambridge dac for the rega to stream.any advice on what one to go for I'm stuck

aversaurus said:
On this sad day.I'm looking to change my amp ones I'm looking at are the rega Brio 3 or the Cyrus 6a dac.i would use a Cambridge dac for the rega to stream.any advice on what one to go for I'm stuck

You really need to audition these as they have a completely different presentation. What speakers would you be using?

The Rega would probably be easier to integrate into a system provided you don't mind the extra add on DAC.

Gray

aversaurus said:
Indeed today's news shocked many of us... R.I.P. D.B.

I haven't heard the latest Rega amps (even though about 15 years ago I tested amps in their Southend factory) I'm still on the original Cyrus 8 amp myself. I had a home loan of this and amps from Roksan and Arcam at the time of purchase.

The Cyrus was a very clear winner for me, sounding lively ('fast') and detailed.

If, as is likely, the 6a is better than my old 8, it will be excellent but the home loan comparison was the best thing I've ever done and a comparitive listen of your shortlisted choices should leave you in no doubt as to the best for you.

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Cyrus amps have a bright sound, if your speakers have metal tweeters which sound bright too, then the result may not be very good.

I tried a Cyrus 8 amp and Monitor Audio Siver 6 speakers and as expected the sound was far too bright to the point of being tinny.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would recommend to pass by the cyrus 6. It lacks the main feature of cyrus amplifiers (and other components), the possibility to add a PSX-R in the future. This external regulated power supply really does make a difference.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
aversaurus said:
I'm trying to get the rega Brio 3 used what do you think is a good price to pay for one. I thought they we're round £400 new?

That's right. £398 when new IIRC.

New Brio-Rs cost £548 but they are a complete circuit re-design rather than a mere box revamp.

I can only see a 'Buy It Now' Rega Brio 3 (claimed to be in new/unused condition) for £300 which might be a bit steep, or not, depending on your budget and expectations...

Clicky

You could talk to your nearest Rega stockist and let them know you will consider purchasing any good condition Brio 3 offered to them in - part exchange - by an upgrading customer.

I got an excellent, mint condition, Naim NAT05 tuner in this way after about two months of being patient. The dealer even gave it 3 months free guarantee.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm breaking forum rules by telling you who it is, but I don't make a habit of this, so, its me. I haven't got round to putting it up for sale and its been sitting in its box for last year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts