Rega Mira Integrated Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm still in the exhuasting process of upgrading my current stereo kit (Vintage NAD integrated & CDP/NHT Model One bookshelves)...

For those who have heard/owned the Rega Mira (60 wpc), is it capable of driving a pair of decent floorstanders in a large room (30 feet long, 17 feet wide, 10 feet high). I want the new set-up to be capable of filling the room at higher levels for any partys we throw, etc. It should also sound great at lower listening levels, too.

Other amps I'm considering are: NAD C355bee (85 wpc), NAD C372 (150 wpc), Roksan Kandy (used, 125 wpc), Rotel RA-1062 (60 wpc), Naim Nait 5i (50 wpc).

My short-list for speakers include: B&W 683, Dali Ikon 6, Revel Concerta F12, Epos M16i, Monitor Audio RS6, Rega R3 & R5 and a few others.

Thanks in advance for any help...

A

Anonymous

I only have have experience with the Nait and the Kandy. Both can do what you ask handely.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
How can you consider Naim and Roksan when you want to know about Mira? Chalk and cheese to my ears. If you like your tune smooth as silk then the rega make sense but if upbeat and excitement are your thing then get yourself a Naim or Rotel (off that list....)

Speakers wise I would go for B&W with Rotel or Rega R5 with Naim.

A

Anonymous

The only way I could pick up a Naim or Roksan is on the used market. The Naim is $1695 and the Roksan is $1650 in Canada. I have seen the Roksan for $750 used...not sure if it's still available.

I'm asking about the Mira because I haven't heard it & it's at the top of my budget.

Will the Rotel (60 wpc) be powerful enough to drive the B&Ws at high levels?

Also, I listen to a lot of hip-hop, jazz & funk. I like my music warm, but I want it to be able to fill a room for any parties thrown. I am not a fan of harsh mid frequencies.

A

Anonymous

There's a Nait5 on canuckaudiomart for 1100 right now. Also, I agree with the thaiman as usual, check out the regas, totems and Neats. I think any of those paired with the naim would suit your tastes and fill your room. (I think the only place in the gta you can test the neat speakers is lockridge hifi, but fortunately they're a naim and rega dealer so you can audition them on the nait and check out the rega speakers while you're at it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="brock_boogie"]Will the Rotel (60 wpc) be powerful enough to drive the B&Ws at high levels?[/quote]Mos def. Although for your music taste IMHO the Nait or the Kandy are better choices.

A

Anonymous

Once again, thanks for the feedback, Ray!

I always look forward to hearing your opinion. I may be able to get my hands on a 3 year old Roksan Kandy LIII for $750. That could possibly be a great deal. I've heard that the Kandy is forward & wouldn't cater to my style of music, though. You think it's a warm sounding amp?

I like the power of the Kandy. Which speakers would match well with it?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
You are in Canada
emotion-21.gif
emotion-58.gif
I would be looking at your very own awesome kits too!

Why not try for 2nd hand Classe cdp, Totem speakers and simaudio moon amp....WOW the list read like a HiFi heaven
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I auditioned some Totem Staffs and thought the mid frequencies were a bit harsh. They were being driven by a NAD C355bee and NAD CDP...have you heard the Totems with a Simaudio Moon amp?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
To play loud for long periods whilst controlling those cones you need watts/current. The more the better.

Unfortunately, often these (big) amplifiers do well at higher volumes but come over as mechanical and compressed at low ones. Something has and usually does give somewhere. Big power supplies, fat caps etc can take their toll on things such as agility and Noise floor. There are of course exceptions but they cost.

The Mira, as mentioned, is to 'refined' and reticent. Not Rega's best IMO and not suited to what you plan to do. I'd just buy something like a NAD, they have good protection circuits so you're not likely to damage speakers, and they sound decent too for the money. Then add sensitive speakers of your choice. Party can start ...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="brock_boogie"]have you heard the Totems with a Simaudio Moon amp?[/quote]

Only few mins ago
emotion-5.gif

Harsh??? I haven't heard anything so smooth yet so exciting!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
By the way, Onkyo make some 'semi' digital amps with big watts for relatively little cash. Never heard one but some competitors mags rate some of them highly. Coming to think of it, I might just do the same soon as I got a few days off. Just for the sake of it
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

The Kandy's a wee bit warm. I'd pair that with the RS6 to be honest. Keep your eye on canuckaudiomart.

You still need to hear the Rainmaker though, all the totems vary thanks to their cobble-together design theory. I've never gotten my Nait to 12 o'clock with them, comfortable listening levels in my room max out at 11 and the speakers are 87.5 sensitivity. Also should note I've left it on at around 10:30 for extended periods (9 hours while I was at work breaking everything in) and it was completely cool to the touch when I got home. Leads me to think the Naim could thrive where other mid-power amps would be punished.

A

Anonymous

Man there's a Musical Fidelity A300 in Toronto going for 950. That would certainly give you the needed power and sound. Methinks.

A

Anonymous

I've definitely been watching canuckaudiomart closely for the past month. I was able to hear the Rega Mira today before work & I'm not so sure it's the right amp for the new loft. I think the NAD C355bee or C372 would work better & free up some money for the speakers.

I'm very intrigued by the Naim and want to hear the Exposure 2010S, too. The used Roksan is actually the MKIII model, not the newer LIII, so I'm not sure it's such a good deal for $750.

A

Anonymous

I'll have to find a way to get there (maybe the GO train)...I'll be auditioning the Rega R5 & Neat Motive 2 floorstanders with the Exposure 2010S and Naim 5i integrateds.

A

Anonymous

You've really homed in on the equipment in your pricerange. imho

It's a fair bit different than NAD though, the Nait and 2010 aren't as warm, or atleast. I wouldn't say they're as emphatically warm. But the pace and energy on them is great. I narrowed down to Nait5i and Arcam A28 myself. The Nait offered more verve and punch. It also gave bite to the Saxophone on my favourite Coltrane stuff.

A

Anonymous

I've got A Love Supreme in the bag for some auditioning tomorrow!

Found out that a local dealer has Naim, Rega & Neat just around the corner. So I'll be auditioning the R5 & Motive 2 with the Naim Nait 5i tomorrow before work.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I can tell you even a Rega Brio will play equally 'loud' as a Nait before distortion sets in!
emotion-2.gif

Whilst I can't argue about the superiority of the latter if its partying you want you should look elsewhere without any doubt. Its one thing to play at high volumes for a few mins rather than a few hours!

Dont forget to insist on a home trial. Especially if the dem room is of smaller proportions than yours.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS