Rega Mira 3 as a pre-amp ?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Calling out to other Mira 3 amplifier owners.

Im a bit confused if i can use my Mira 3 as a pre-amp and buy a decent power amp to partner it ? In the manual it says "You can still use the pre-amp output sockets to connect to another power amplifier to create a bi-amp system". Im not very clued up on this pre/power amp malarkey - so could someone please help and explain this one to me ? Can i add a power amp and what is bi-amping and its benefits ?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

The pre-outs will merely send a low level signal to a power amp. The Mira 3 is integrated but will have such a connection internally to it's own power amp section. If you add the matching power amp (Maia) then you can run the bass from one amp and the treble from the other if you have bi-wirable speakers. This is biamping. Alternatively you can just connect the speakers to the Maia alone, using the Mira and a pre only.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Alternatively you can just connect the speakers to the Maia alone, using the Mira and a pre only.

Do you mean using the Mira as a pre amp ? sorry !
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

sthomas048:
Alternatively you can just connect the speakers to the Maia alone, using the Mira and a pre only.

Do you mean using the Mira as a pre amp ? sorry !
emotion-10.gif

Yeah, sorry, "...using the Mira and as a pre only."

Folkman

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Yes you can use the Mira3 as a pre amp.

Trouble is you may not gain much as the Mira3 pre amp section will be holding back the new power amp . I tried my Mira3 as a pre with a Maia3 power amp and found little improvement. But then swap the Mira3 for the Cursa3 and see things really improve.

Michael.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi Michael,

Yeah i understand what you mean. I was just pondering ways of tinkering with my system, ways of improving the sound in different ways. Im quite happy with it really. I think i might have tinkeritis.
emotion-7.gif
I will stick with my Mira 3 without a power amp then.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Is it possible to use the Mira 3 as power amp without any other manipulation than plugging my a/v in the "power amp in" section behin the amp ?

If so, when the a/v receiver is off (and also plugged in the power amp in), could the Mira 3 be used as an integretated stereo amp to play a cd for instance ?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS