rega Elys 2

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi , I wanna ask how long is burning in period for Elys 2 cart ? My cart after 5 hours of playing sounds terrible ,no detail ,weak vocals ...

I am comparing same tracks and albums with spotify and spotify sounds much better . I am playing older records only , I thing I am gonna try some 180g new one .

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Mmmmmmm that's odd! My Elys2 sounded great out-of-the-box!

Do they actually need running in? No moving parts as such except the cantilever!

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
couple of thoughts- is the cart set to Rega's own geometry, if so try Baerwald,

are you using the upper end the VTF range?

what phono stage are you using?

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The cart was installed by Rega dealer , I just set up trackin force and antiskating as its shown in you tube video (for RP3 Elys 2 it should by same for P3-24 ) My TT is sitting on Rega shelf , and it is connected to Brio R , I've been playing vinyl for couple of days now and it still sounds same , brand new vinyl Diana Krall - the best of sounds good but the popping and cracking is very audible . Maybe it's how vinyl sounds like .....

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
domenn said:
I am playing older records only , I thing I am gonna try some 180g new one .

Thats going to prove jack s***e. 180gm isnt a green light for a top quality pressing.

stevebrock said:

Do they actually need running in?

Yes ,are you deaf :p.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Yes cartridges need some break in time, usualy 4/5 albums time, but just that, no longer period time needed.

I disagree , some carts need more than others , some a helluva lot more.

domenn said:
sounds good but the popping and cracking is very audible . Maybe it's how vinyl sounds like .....

Nope.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Do you know anyone nearby with experience in setting up carts who could maybe pop over and have a look/listen etc. Because after your last post I can smell a disaster on the horizon.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
domenn said:
I am playing older records only , I thing I am gonna try some 180g new one .

Thats going to prove jack s***e. 180gm isnt a green light for a top quality pressing.

stevebrock said:

Do they actually need running in?

Yes ,are you deaf :p.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Yes cartridges need some break in time, usualy 4/5 albums time, but just that, no longer period time needed.

I disagree , some carts need more than others , some a helluva lot more.

domenn said:
sounds good but the popping and cracking is very audible . Maybe it's how vinyl sounds like .....

Nope.

think i will agree to dis-agree with you :p :p :p :p

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I dont know anyone around , recommended VTA is 1.7g I want to try 1,5g and 2,0g I've read it here somewhere it can help , if not I'll try to set it up all again :wall:

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
so my TT sounds better now , but I've noticed some Inner groove distortion , on last 2 tracks vocals sound distorted and " Ssss" is just annoying .

interesting is ,some LP's sounds fine , I,ve found many comments on internet about this problem with Elys2 cart .

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
domenn said:
so my TT sounds better now , but I've noticed some Inner groove distortion , on last 2 tracks vocals sound distorted and " Ssss" is just annoying .

interesting is ,some LP's sounds fine , I,ve found many comments on internet about this problem with Elys2 cart .

Funny you mention this....I have a few LPs that do this too....think its the record not the cart......could be wron though?

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi , try to read this

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=41601

I'll wait couple of weeks and my Elys goes on ebay , I'll have to find some other cart . I can not live with this one :wall:

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
If your cart is set up using the Rega 3 bolt alignment, then it is worth getting the Baerwald alignment tool from Vinyl engine, going to two bolts and trying that. It may or may not resolve the problem, If it does then it saves you loosing money on a new cart, if not, then you have wasted 30 minutes.

I like Rega gear in general, but do struggle with the Carts until you reach the exact or above.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml (Ensure you follow instructions to the letter to ensure accuracy.)

I had a great time trying out both Baerwald (for Rega) and Stevenson alignments back in 2008 when I had my Rega P2 and upgraded from a pre fitted Rega Bias to an Ortofon 2M.

I remember trying both 'geometries' for a couple of days each and then reverting to the Stevenson set up eventually. (Still slightly different to the results you get just using Rega's own single point alignment tool.)

Rega's own, supplied, alignment card results in more distortion - at the end of a side - than when using the Stevenson alignment protractor from Vinyl Engine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts