Rega Elex-r and B&W 683 S2

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I had a demo of an Elex r it is a very nice amp. However I went for Naim Nait 5 si in the end, similar price to the Elex r and seemed a bit livelier overall to me. That liveliness soon turned into grating brightness and harshness though after a couple of weeks and I returned the Nait 5si. I took a chance on a Brio r after that and I am delighted I did. Finally found my perfect amp.

My point is don't rule out a Brio r vs an Elex r as nice as the Elex r is. Both have the Rega sound. You could probably pick up a Brio and an apollo r cdp for the price of the Elex r. Far better value for money. The 683’s shouldn't be hard to drive, the Brio is driving my Kef LS50s without issue.

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Rooms about 6m x 4m.

I listen to funk, jazz, soul, disco house, electronic.

I dont need silly volumes, though I do like to have the odd party where it is known to get turned up a bit!

My local shop recomended the Elex-r over the Rotel RA1570 I was originally looking at. I havnt had chance to here it yet so looking for a bi of advice first.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
1) His choice of music is bass heavy (watt guzzling) and he likes to turn it up to party.

2) The room is medium sized and will require more amplifier power to fill it up with adequate SPL.

3) The B&W 683s2 are a stack of cinder blocks compared to the light and fluffy KEF LS50 pillows.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
The Brio can do all of these. Can play louder without distortion than the Nait 5si which is closer to the Elex r on paper at least. The LS50s are fluffly pillows now, lol! Up to now I've been told they are blocks of solid steel that require their own power station to drive properly.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
That combo should be great, just suggesting the Brio r as a possible better value for money option. You only occassionally require party volumes. I would look at my day to day requirements more than the once in a blue moon requirements. Demo is the only way.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
...don't rule out a Brio r vs an Elex r as nice as the Elex r is. Both have the Rega sound. You could probably pick up a Brio and an apollo r cdp for the price of the Elex r...the Brio is driving my Kef LS50s without issue.

Good that you have found what is best for you. I ran KEF LS50's for 18 months with Brio-R but changed to Elex-R and found I get far better sound for detailed and often poorly recorded classical music. For me it was worth the extra cost over the Brio-R. The dial is little varied from 10 o/clock, as that gives a very "real" virtual performance - as if I were at a live performance. Funny, I was wondering whether going even further up the amp scale - to the Elicit-R, might be worth another doubling in price! But will probably not. With the Elex-R, I am getting great music out of the LS50's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts