Rega DAC

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Overdoesed on vinyl the last few weeks with my new TT

Thought I would give some love to my DAC - listening to some early 90s R.E.M - Tell you what its not that far off vinyl, lots of depth, detail and no fatigue whatsoever!

CUE - missus comes home, puts Florence & the Machine - Cereminials on - OMG what a noise - such a badly compressed piece of junk in terms of mastrering - its actually hurting my ears!

This is what I hate about CDs! Even my DAC cannot make it sound any better - awful, they should be ashamed......bloody loudness wars!

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Head over to the Steve Hoffman Audio forum :-

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/

...key the name of the band or artist that interests you into the search box and tick search titles only.

You will find tons of info from knowledgeable fans on what CDs to buy to avoid the Loudness problems.

I use the forum all the time - an example of where it helped me was buying the old 1980s CDs from OMD (the ones with no barcodes on) they sound hugely better than the modern remasters.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:

Thought I would give some love to my DAC - listening to some early 90s R.E.M - Tell you what its not that far off vinyl, lots of depth, detail and no fatigue whatsoever!

CUE - missus comes home, puts Florence & the Machine - Cereminials on - OMG what a noise - such a badly compressed piece of junk in terms of mastrering - its actually hurting my ears!

This is what I hate about CDs! Even my DAC cannot make it sound any better - awful, they should be ashamed......bloody loudness wars!

I felt the same way at the O2 Stones gig during Gimme Shelter; if only I'd had a gun.
grin.gif

stevebrock said:

This is also - loudness wars aside - due to the fact that a good set-up reveals dodgy recordings (or overblown ones).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

This is also - loudness wars aside - due to the fact that a good set-up reveals dodgy recordings (or overblown ones).

Exactly PP

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Adele - 19 is the worst vinyl ever - I thought my cartridge was shot - soo much siblance it was unbearable and I sent it back for a refund!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
BigH said:
Florence is quite bad even the vinyl is not much better.

yes so I have heard!

There is no excuse really - music made for the iPod generation eh!

I quite agree very disappointing, what is happening, 1950s recordings sound better than 2010s ones? I think they should issue 2 versions one for the mp3 market and one for those who want high quality.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:
BigH said:

yes so I have heard!

I quite agree very disappointing, what is happening, 1950s recordings sound better than 2010s ones? I think they should issue 2 versions one for the mp3 market and one for those who want high quality.

Ye... Keep dreaming...! :twisted:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BigH said:
stevebrock said:
BigH said:

yes so I have heard!

Ye... Keep dreaming...! :twisted:

Yes but hopefully Neil Young will get his way. Fortunately most of the albums I buy were recorded last century so not so much of a problem just a question of searching out the best edition. Now with Spotify and Rdio I don't buy that many anyway.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
got the remastered version of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on vinyl and cd. Actually both sound awesome!

but in general the whole loudness war has started me move away from CD to either vinyl or HD audio. Take for example Kate Bush' 50 words from snow. It is exceptionally well recorded and mastered (the high res 24 bit comes straight from the recording process witihout *any* additonal post-processing).

So yeah. Either vinyl or HD for me. And your Rega gear will do excellent job of course :D

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:
got the remastered version of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours on vinyl and cd. Actually both sound awesome!

but in general the whole loudness war has started me move away from CD to either vinyl or HD audio. Take for example Kate Bush' 50 words from snow. It is exceptionally well recorded and mastered (the high res 24 bit comes straight from the recording process witihout *any* additonal post-processing).

So yeah. Either vinyl or HD for me. And your Rega gear will do excellent job of course :D

Good to see you Spockfish !!! :cheer:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Take for example Kate Bush' 50 words from snow. It is exceptionally well recorded and mastered

She is one of my fave artists for her music and her attitiude.... She actually only wanted to record 50 words....... in analogue.

I have it on CD & Vinyl - the CD is very good.......but the Vinyl is soo nice - beautiful album.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:

All of her music seems very loud and shouty. It could be that her voice is not very melodic too.

By the way, it's not the CD that's the problem, it's the recording.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts