Rega Dac

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm looking too buy myself a dac ASAP as i have so much digital music and am finding myself using my computer a lot. anyway the new rega dac sounds like a good contender from the WHF review was wondering whether anyone has heard it, whether it will go well with my kit, any other recomendations and also would it make my CDP sound any better? budget

thanks, Josh
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm confident that the Rega DAC would make your CD player sound different. Whether that different is better is something that you should decide for yourself.

Since I'm not much for either NAD or MA, I can't give you advice on how it would sound in your system. But I would expect a huge leap in detail and and soundstage, as the dac can beat cd players in the 1000-1500 range.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, right now I just want too make my computer sound a lot better, if it improves my CDP thats just a big bonus
smiley-smile.gif

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
you should also take into account the fact that Rega DAC is limited to 16bit/44.1kHz on USB input. so if you have or plan to have some hi rez music you'll do well to buy some USB->s/pdif coverter and use digital coax input on Rega in order to take full advantage on hi rez files capabilities. HiFace from M2Tech comes to mind as an inexpensive and unobtrusive solution BTW. there are other choices too but they are usually bulkier.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
My PC has digital optical out, would that be capable of the full upsample instead of USB? I currently only have standard CD quality WAV files and MP3s, you've made me curious about High Resolution files though, never really thought about looking for them. i also forgot too mention i have a Bluray player i want to plug into it aswell.

A

Anonymous

If you are primarily going to use the dac with a computer, it might be worth looking at asynchronous dacs, like the M2Tech Young or the Arcam,
asyncdata transfer is the best method of transferring timed data.
Keith.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
josh05 said:
My PC has digital optical out,

yeah, that should handle 24bit files. but you'd do well to confirm with the manufacturer if the output can handle up to 96kHz files or up to 192khz files. either way you should be fine with just 24bit/96kHz capability. you don't get too much of a choice in 24/192 because it is in fact inferior to 24/96 right now, despite higher data transfer. it has something to do with generating excessive amounts of noise in D to A conversion process.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
purite_audio said:
If you are primarily going to use the dac with a computer, it might be worth looking at asynchronous dacs, like the M2Tech Young or the Arcam, asyncdata transfer is the best method of transferring timed data. Keith.

well, i don't think it's a good advice. I was interested with this Young DAC myself for a moment but (just as Arcam DAC) it turns out it has poor analog output stage, not mentioning power supply. in which case Rega DAC should be far more superior having better analog output stage (well you can do better than Rega for sure but at this price point it's pretty good). and since DAC chips provide more or less similar level of performance it's down to analog part of design where most differences arise. besides I already mentioned the OP may use a USB->s/pdif converter (like from M2Tech) with the Rega without any detrimental effect on USB output from computer.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replys guys, ive decided im going to go down to my local hifi dealer on friday and see whats available. I live in Tasmania a small state of Australia so choices are fairly limited but i know they stock rega gear. ill let you know how i go with it then :) no doubt ill end up handing over $$$ haha
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

What absolute tosh, the M2Tech Young is a superb sounding dac, designed for computer audio, asyncUSB at 24/384.
As always the Op should try and gather as many dacs as he can and dcompare them in his own system.
Keith.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts