Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
rega-dac.jpg

Some details here.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Come on folks...

...the first second (see JD's correction later in the thread) stand-alone DAC from the last company you might expect to produce one? (They didn't make a CD player until 1997.)

Two coaxs, two optical connections and USB (with it's own clocking), Two Wolfson WM8742 DAC chips, toroidal PSU (no 'wall-warts') and finally a DAC from a mainstream UK hifi company pitched at the £500 level rather than sub £300 or £You what?!!

I thought it was 'news'. (Guess i'm just an old Rega fan.)

This could hit the spot with a lot of people wanting the next step up from a DacMagic/Beresford but who can't afford £2000 - £3000 for a Naim DAC or a Chord.

I especially like the idea of 5 digital inputs (three is normally considered 'generous')

A

Anonymous

To be honest Chebby, I think this is exactly the product I would like to move to next. The Beresford and CA DACs won't be worth the move from my current CDP and the new MF DAC is allegedly quite open and toppy, a sound I don't get on with. I think the Rega is going to be the product of 2010 for me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:(And anyway, to quote the famous Holy Grail line, 'It's only a model')

Audio-T sneaking out a picture of a model is the Rega equivalent to a Steve Jobs full-on Apple launch.

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I'm with you chebby. This could be what i'm looking for - a mid priced DAC with plenty of inputs to improve my sonos set up and CD player. Could I hook up a sony 370 to improve HD audio through a yamaha 4100 or does it only deal with stereo?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Dan.m:I'm with you chebby. This could be what i'm looking for - a mid priced DAC with plenty of inputs to improve my sonos set up and CD player. Could I hook up a sony 370 to improve HD audio through a yamaha 4100 or does it only deal with stereo?

There is nothing in the description I linked to above to suggest anything but stereo. Rega don't do home-theatre.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Audio-T sneaking out a picture of a model is the Rega equivalent to a Steve Jobs full-on Apple launch.

...Only without the black turtle-necks and chinos, of course...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:...Only without the black turtle-necks and chinos, of course...

More likely to be Roy Gandy in a 20 year-old lime green Rega t-shirt and old jeans. Possibly with one of his budgies!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:
Hi chebby

Rega's new DAC looks very promising and should represent good VFM.
emotion-1.gif
I am looking forward to receiving them.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, have you listened to either the Benchmark DAC1, Stello Signature or the Chord Peach? They are on my hit list to try.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
I too am excited about the forthcoming Rega DAC. I was actually on my way to Richer Sounds a couple of weeks back, fully prepared to buy a Dacmagic. Luckily, I popped in to Audio T on the way and was told about the imminent Rega DAC then. Save to say, I didn't complete my journey to RS.

The guys at my Audio T hadn't heard the new DAC when I was there, though the spec looks good and Rega have been making some very positive noises about their new product (not that they'd say anything else). I've asked my dealer to ring me to arrange a listen as soon as they get some stock in.

Aside from opening up my hi fi to the world of music on my computer (including, Spotify), I'm hoping that the new Rega DAC may also offer an appreciable upgrade in sound for my Apollo, something I wasn't really expecting from the Dacmagic.

Gerrardasnails:MUSICRAFT:
Hi chebby

Rega's new DAC looks very promising and should represent good VFM.
emotion-1.gif
I am looking forward to receiving them.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, have you listened to either the Benchmark DAC1, Stello Signature or the Chord Peach? They are on my hit list to try.

Hi Gerrardasnails

I have heard the Benchmark DAC1 and the Chord Electronics Peach DAC although separately. I've not heard the Stello Signature DAC.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
Chebby/Andrew,

Do you know if hooking up a naim 5i-2 cdp to a dac would give a considerable sound improvement.?

As you have to connect it via analogue because it has no digital output?

A

Anonymous

Cold Roses:
I too am excited about the forthcoming Rega DAC. I was actually on my way to Richer Sounds a couple of weeks back, fully prepared to buy a Dacmagic. Luckily, I popped in to Audio T on the way and was told about the imminent Rega DAC then. Save to say, I didn't complete my journey to RS.

The guys at my Audio T hadn't heard the new DAC when I was there, though the spec looks good and Rega have been making some very positive noises about their new product (not that they'd say anything else). I've asked my dealer to ring me to arrange a listen as soon as they get some stock in.

Aside from opening up my hi fi to the world of music on my computer (including, Spotify), I'm hoping that the new Rega DAC may also offer an appreciable upgrade in sound for my Apollo, something I wasn't really expecting from the Dacmagic.

You see that's the problem i have when I'm in Brighton, go to Richer Sounds - easy....hmmm maybe I'll just pop into Audio-T while I'm here. As far as DACs are concerned, is it me or is there suddenly a mass invasion of them on or coming onto the market?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
rubber_duck:As far as DACs are concerned, is it me or is there suddenly a mass invasion of them on or coming onto the market?

They are becoming more popular because streaming digital audio content from sources other than CD players has become more popular. (Look at the explosion in the use of Spotify for one example.)

A

Anonymous

chebby:
rubber_duck:As far as DACs are concerned, is it me or is there suddenly a mass invasion of them on or coming onto the market?

They are becoming more popular because streaming digital audio content from sources other than CD players has become more popular. (Look at the explosion in the use of Spotify for one example.)

Well I for one am not complaining, I'm in the market for a sub-£500 DAC for my streamer so the more the merrier...bring it on!!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts