Rega Brio-R with Acoustic Energy Radiance 3

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have the possibility to acquire a used pair of Acoustic Energy Radiance 3 speakers for around £500 to use with my Rega Brio-R which is currently driving a pair of 20 year old Mission 753 floor standers. Clearly I'd audition the speakers prior to buying but would be by interested to have people's opinions of such a pairing and whether it be a major improvement over the Missions.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

It is indeed and it sounds great through the Missions but I wonder if it would be even better through more modern speakers.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Is there a reason for the change in speaker? - just googled the 753, they're a big speaker, the AE R3 are big too, is the REGA as fine as it is able to drive those Missions is that the reason for the upgrade and will the AEs provide an easier load - googled them too and they have a 90db sensitivity.

never heard any of this kit but on paper I would have thought a smaller speaker (fewer driver units) would suit the amp more.

A

Anonymous

No particular reason other than the Missions being 20 years old and I was presented with the opportunity of the AEs for £500 which sounds a very reasonable price bearing in mind their rrp of £1500. I was wondering if they would be a good upgrade as I feel the Missions are a little bass light. Maybe the number of drivers in the Missions (they have 5) could be a factor there?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You have ambitious speaker choice for that amp, its sort of like the Cyrus 6 amps as good as they are they are not power houses, I'd suspect a 'smaller' design a speaker with fewer drivers would agree more with your amp.

Allow me to suggest you bring it to a dealer and audition it 'with' smaller speakers before spending.... :)

A

Anonymous

I would certainly not buy without auditioning first. It was really just a thought since the opportunity presented itself. More than likely I'll stick with my faithful 753s, you can buy a lot of music with £500 and ultimately that's what it's all about. Thanks for your suggestions though.

matthewpiano

753s are beautifully made speakers with good strong cabinets that keep flexing under control better than most. To get cabinets of that quality now you'd pay a lot more than the price of the Radiance 3. By all means audition the AEs but I think you would lose quite a lot.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts