Rega Brio R, Broke 3 times in 4 weeks.

bigmilly88

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Posted a similar topic a while back about my Brio R developing a fault were it would switch on but no input light would appear along with the 'click'.

Since returned this to the dealer, which I got the model as ex-display from.

It has now being sent to Rega twice to at first reformat the input chip, and then subsequently replace it. The fault has now appeared again, so I must ask if anyone else has heard/had anything like this happen to them? As I am now running low on patience.

The actual setup consists of the rega brio directly plugged into the wall sitting on top of a wooden record cube holder, the turntable is about 0.5m above it on a shelf. The speakers themselves, the nearest, being about 0.5m away from the brio r too. Speaker wire being chord with banana plugs. A desktop pc also is about 0.5m away from the amp. Does any of this flag up why the chip is wiping itself?

Thanks for the input.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear this. I had a Brio 3 for many years without a single issue. Something in my gut told me not to get the new Brio-R, but really I hated the looks of the Brio-R compared to the Brio 3. I remember my Brio 3 feeling quite hot after a long listening session, perhaps the Brio-R's smaller chasis does not dissapate heat as well causing the internal circuit to overheat. I rarely see a used Brio 3 for sale, but see lots of used Brio-R's for sale. Something tells me there is serious design flaw in the Brio-R. Hopefully, Rega designs the next Brio using a larger, well-ventilated chasis like the Elicit-R.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully, Rega designs the next Brio using a larger, well-ventilated chasis like the Elicit-R

dont be too sure on that! Do a search on this forum, I had 4 faluty Elicit R's before I gave up and got the Icon Audio

IMO sounds like an isolated fault on the OP Brio R

bigmilly88

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the replies,

Yeah I think I will just take it back and see if they offer me a brand new one / money back.

As for heat, I've had it in a well ventilated place and haven't really noticed it get too hot, maybe warm to touch but not hot, so this could either mean the heat isn't dissipating properly or it's staying relatively cool in general due to me not really having it higher than half way at the max on the volume.

At this point I'm very inclined to give rega a miss entirely, and possibly look at cyrus instead but I'm still not sure really, shall see what happens, if and when I get a refund.

bigmilly88

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Cheers for the replies,

Yeah I think I will just take it back and see if they offer me a brand new one / money back.

As for heat, I've had it in a well ventilated place and haven't really noticed it get too hot, maybe warm to touch but not hot, so this could either mean the heat isn't dissipating properly or it's staying relatively cool in general due to me not really having it higher than half way at the max on the volume.

At this point I'm very inclined to give rega a miss entirely, and possibly look at cyrus instead but I'm still not sure really, shall see what happens, if and when I get a refund.

bigmilly88

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Ahh really, to be honest the creek could be more up my street if I can get an integrated phono in it, as I really only play vinyl, I was looking at a dac in the future though, and if the rega brio r had held up I would of got the rega dac but I'm put off by them completely really.

So I was wondering, what would be a decent integrated amp to look at, as an alternative, with a decent phono stage for about £500? Or an integrated amp with phono and dac for about £1000 tops? As it looked like the creek was possibly abit more than that.

Cheers

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Bigmilly,

Sorry for the repeated problems that you have encountered with software issues with your Brio R, I can assure you that such issues are very rare and would seek to assure you that we will sort the problem out for you immediately. Assuming you are in the UK, If you contact your dealer and they then arrange collection with us we will repair and return the unit to you asap. If you are abroad then please contact your dealer who will organise similar service via our overseas distributor. If we are unable to sort the problem with your unit out to your complete satisfaction then we will replace it without question.

Thank you for your patience,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Bigmilly,

Sorry for the repeated problems that you have encountered with software issues with your Brio R, I can assure you that such issues are very rare and would seek to assure you that we will sort the problem out for you immediately. Assuming you are in the UK, If you contact your dealer and they then arrange collection with us we will repair and return the unit to you asap. If you are abroad then please contact your dealer who will organise similar service via our overseas distributor. If we are unable to sort the problem with your unit out to your complete satisfaction then we will replace it without question.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Can't say fairer than that :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
paul darwin said:
Bigmilly,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Excellent after sales service from Rega again

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Freddy58 said:
paul darwin said:
Bigmilly,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Thats all very well but its been back to Rega twice already.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
bigmilly88 said:
Ahh really, to be honest the creek could be more up my street if I can get an integrated phono in it, as I really only play vinyl, I was looking at a dac in the future though, and if the rega brio r had held up I would of got the rega dac but I'm put off by them completely really.

So I was wondering, what would be a decent integrated amp to look at, as an alternative, with a decent phono stage for about £500? Or an integrated amp with phono and dac for about £1000 tops? As it looked like the creek was possibly abit more than that.

Cheers

Yes the Creek is about £700 maybe more with phono stage. You maybe able to find an ex-demo one for around £600. You can buy external phono stages, Project and Rega do them starting about £50. As for Dacs the Rega one is good but there are some new ones that maybe better for less money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:
Freddy58 said:
paul darwin said:
Bigmilly,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Thats all very well but its been back to Rega twice already.

Think yoursef lucky ust twice then!

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Hopefully, Rega designs the next Brio using a larger, well-ventilated chasis like the Elicit-R

dont be too sure on that! Do a search on this forum, I had 4 faluty Elicit R's before I gave up and got the Icon Audio

IMO sounds like an isolated fault on the OP Brio R

Looks like you got some humming in your Elicit-R but a lot of British amps have this characteristic. It is not really an issue but part of the design of British amps. That's why a lot of these amps like Naim don't a mute button because they believe this gives the amp a purer signal. Naim amps are known for humming issue, but that's how they're designed. My new Onkyo amp never had this issue, yet, Naim or Rega still sound cleaner and clearer. My Rega Brio 3 was picking up radio channels through my interconnects. Basically, my interconnects was acting like an antennae. This did not ruin my enjoyment of the music.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Looks like you got some humming in your Elicit-R

2 x quinscent current issue (the SQ of the amp deterioated)

1 x missing LH channel on phono stage

1 x humming (the previous 3 did not hum)

Happy now - the ST40 is blowing me away

bigmilly88

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Bigmilly,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Dear Paul

Thank you for seeing this and replying, and I do realise it is a rare case. The issue is that I have already had the amp repaired twice and really it has been away for repairs longer than I've actually had time to use it now. I shall visit my dealer in the next few days (as I am based in the uk) and try get in contact directy through them to Rega to see what the best course of action is.

Thank you.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Broner said:
something in my gut told me not to get the new Brio-R, but really I hated the looks of the Brio-R compared to the Brio 3.
Didn't know it was possible to prefer the looks of the Brio 3 over.... well, anything!

Just goes to show how taste varies, I prefer the looks of the 2000 series casings to any of the new -r series cases, and a stack of other brands. Simple clean lines, and neat.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Steve, Ive been away for a few weeks, have you done a review on your new amp.?

bigmilly88

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
bigmilly88 said:

Cheers

Yes the Creek is about £700 maybe more with phono stage. You maybe able to find an ex-demo one for around £600. You can buy external phono stages, Project and Rega do them starting about £50. As for Dacs the Rega one is good but there are some new ones that maybe better for less money.

Ahh I thought it would be around that point, and yes heard the rega dac is very good for the price albeit the usb doesn't take full 24bit 192khz, apparantly for a good reason though. I shall just see what happens first with the brio r I suppose.

Thanks for the advice.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
bigmilly88 said:
BigH said:
bigmilly88 said:

Cheers

Ahh I thought it would be around that point, and yes heard the rega dac is very good for the price albeit the usb doesn't take full 24bit 192khz, apparantly for a good reason though. I shall just see what happens first with the brio r I suppose.

Thanks for the advice.

If you are serious about spending £500 on a DAC have a look at John Kenny Ciúnas, according to some members on other forums that is about the best DAC under £700, it is about Euros 400, you can try it out at home for a few weeks, if its no good then you need to send it back to Ireland.

See this review: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0412/usb_dac_shootout.htm

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

yes i started a thread

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/icon-audio-st40

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

yes i started a thread

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/icon-audio-st40

I see thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts