Rega Brio 2000 / P2 Turntable problems

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all...

Im not 100% happy with my new P2 turntable fitted with the Bias cartridge.. I dont know if these problems are linked and/or other folk have experienced these problems.

1. I can hear a faint crackling from the phono stage in the Brio amp sometimes (no record beng played)

2. When i lower the tonearm lever, it sometimes has to think long and hard before actually dropping onto the record.

3. Sound is definitely deteriorating towards the end of a record, sounds somewhat muddy.

4. When i lift the stylus off the record with the tonearm lever the whole arm jerks slightly towards the resting position

My local dealer installed and aligned the cartridge and set the tracking force etc.

Any help / tips MUCH appreciated!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
New P2's usually come with the Bias 2 factory fitted as an option.

However..

Follow the instructions and re-balance the arm to zero so the stylus tip is just hovering where the surface of a record would be. (Take the felt mat off and slide the anti-skate back to zero for this). Now set the tracking force to about 1.8 grammes.

Anti-skate force is very aggressive on the RB250 arms so try setting the little slider to about half what it should be. (I have mine set to one, some people have it even lower.)

This may cure the hesitant drop and the drift.

If it is still sounding muddy at the end of a side then get the Rega alignment card out of the box and align it yourself. Dealers (and even the factory) often get this wrong.

The correct (Stevenson for Rega) alignment is designed to minimise end of side distortion so maybe your dealer used some other type of protractor that was not designed for Rega decks/arms.

Ensure the P2 is resting on a solid, level surface.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As for the crackling, double check (carefully with the aid of a tiny screwdriver) if the little connectors on the four cartridge leads are tightly fitted to the pins on the back of the cartridge. Do this by seeing if they slide easily when you try to ease each one off with the screwdriver tip. If they are all firm then that is good.

If - however - any are loose then you will need to carefully crimp the offending connector just a little tighter and then push it back on.

(Check the colours of the leads match the colours on the base of the pins also!)

If all the pins are located correctly (and firmly) and the crackle persists, then you may need the phono stage in the amp serviced.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Anti-skate force is very aggressive on the RB250 arms so try setting the little slider to about half what it should be. (I have mine set to one, some people have it even lower.)

This may cure the hesitant drop and the drift.

Yep, my old one did exactly the same, to the point where I had set it almost to zero, and the anti-skate effect was still working.

I also found that as the cue level is oil-damped that when the TT was physically cold (below 15 deg or so) the arm would take longer to drop!

Also, don't forget when re-setting the tracking weight that half a turn is 1g. I have mistakenly run mine with 0.9g and also 3.6g!!!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies guys!!!

Although, I know for a fact that the dealer set the tracking force to its upper liit of 3.75g

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Scott Stephen:
Thanks for all the replies guys!!!

Although, I know for a fact that the dealer set the tracking force to its upper liit of 3.75g

OK this dealer needs shooting! And you need to 'undo' everything he has done including alignment and checking the connectors are correctly located on the back of the cartridge, rebalancing the arm, setting force correctly etc etc.

Here are the instructions in case you don't have them to hand....

http://www.rega.co.uk/downloads/P2%20instructions%20Eng.pdf

http://www.rega.co.uk/downloads/Bias%202.pdf

If the dealer is an official Rega stockist then you need to complain to Rega about this.

Write to them here....

Rega Research Limited
6 Coopers Way
Temple Farm Industrial Estate
Southend on Sea
ESSEX
ENGLAND
SS2 5TE

If the dealer is part of a National chain then report him to their head office.

T

the record spot

Then send semeone round from the Spanish Inquisition. As we all know, no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

(Taxi!)

TRENDING THREADS