Rega arm needed before Easter!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
The seller of the Systemdek I bought last week has *finally* got in touch, so desperatley in need of a Rega arm! Not much happening on fleabay at the present - can anyone suggest other viable sources?

Was wanting to get a second-hand RB300, but in order to get the deck up and running over Easter, might plump for a new RB250 - or should I forget enjoying the Systemdek over Easter and just be patient and wait for an RB300 to turn up on fleabay? The "excellent condition" arms (both models) seem to go for not much less than buying new, so not sure if second-hand is the right path to go down anyway...

A

Anonymous

I got my 301 off these guys...Not sure if you will get it before Easter. I am sure you could come to some sort of arrangement with them as they are very helpful.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that... any comment on the 251 vs the 301? The 301 would really be pushing it financially for me right now, but my gut instinct says that would be by far the better long term investment. Whichever way I go, I envisage doing the various mods to the arm over the upcoming couple of years... oh, too many options, too many decisions...

A

Anonymous

No comment as to the differences....this is the only rega arm I have had. I went for the (bog standard) 301 thinking that it would be just that little bit better should I feel the need to upgrade the cartridge or wiring etc etc. I originally bought it to put on an old ERA MK6 but it is now residing quite happily on a Technics 1200.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
raym87: ...thinking that it would be just that little bit better should I feel the need to upgrade the cartridge or wiring etc etc...

That's my thinking too - get the feeling I'll regret not spending the extra £60 or so for the 301 further down the line... thanks for your comments, both here and my other recent turntable-related posts - they've been really helpful.

A

Anonymous

Happy to be of help. Having just got back into using a TT after a lay off of some 25 years since CD's came in, I have spent a lot of time soaking up as much info as I can. Always happy to pass on something that I have picked up from who knows where that may be considered useful but equally, always prepared to ask questions. If you dont ask you wont get an answer.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
There's certainly a lot of info to soak up, that's for sure!!!

Any comments (anyone) on the following currently available on fleabay...

RB251 (Origin Live): £100 (second-hand)

RB251 - £124 (new - moth branded)

RB301 - £149 (second-hand with VTA adjuster)

RB301 - £188 (new - moth branded)

A

Anonymous

margetti:The "excellent condition" arms (both models) seem to go for not much less than buying new, so not sure if second-hand is the right path to go down anyway...

A sensible decision in my opinion.

Is the deck cut for the earlier 250 / 300 arms? Not sure if the Systemdek uses separate armboards or if the plinth is drilled for direct mounting. You are aware, I am sure, that they use a different mounting system to the newer 251 / 301 arms.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
raym87:You are aware, I am sure, that they use a different mounting system to the newer 251 / 301 arms.

Erm, no!
emotion-10.gif
The seller as described it as "ready for a Rega arm", no more, no less.

Thanks for the heads up - that could have been a potentially expensive mistake! I think time to take stock, wait to collect the deck (if the seller ever gives me his address as promised
emotion-12.gif
), and do some more research. Was always the original intention to take things slowly - just got a bit excited at the prospect of spending an entire 4 days over Easter setting it all up and enjoying the improvement over the incumbent Project Debut.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
After some quite painful communication problems with the seller, finally collected my Systemdek today!
emotion-2.gif
He freely admitted he was very disappointed with the price he got for it - almost found myself apologising!

So the hunt for an arm begins right now in earnest!

A

Anonymous

Well you are halfway there....what fitting is on the turntable?

Does the systemdek have swappable armplates?

A

Anonymous

Looks nice. Seems from the pic that it should be easy to buy or make an armboard for your chosen arm. The 250/300 board should be easily modified to take a 251/301 arm.Keep us posted...

A

Anonymous

I just bought a P3 with no arm so put out some feelers on other forums and got an RB250 almost immediately, virtually new. You are right not much on e-bay, I cannot name the forums for obvious reasons but you must have an idea there are other hi-fi forums to post wanted ads on!

I just need a decent cartridge now, any ideas?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, will have a look if I need to - rang up a local dealer who doesn't stock Rega, but had a good chat and he suggested a couple of other local dealers that might be worth a try (don't you just love a good dealer who will do things like that). Rang up the first on the list and no they don't stock the 250/300, but "wait, I know somebody who has one at a good price - I'll track him down - give me a call on Saturday". How good is that! Fingers crossed it works out...

Can't help you myself with cartridges sorry - they're another minefield aren't they! Do a search on these forums though and you should find quite a few posts with some answers. I've already got an Ortofon 2M Red myself, which probably won't do the deck full justice, but will do for now and I'll either upgrade the stylus or buy another cart later in the year.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
mains cables r us:
I just bought a P3 with no arm so put out some feelers on other forums and got an RB250 almost immediately, virtually new. You are right not much on e-bay, I cannot name the forums for obvious reasons but you must have an idea there are other hi-fi forums to post wanted ads on!

I just need a decent cartridge now, any ideas?

What HiFi recommended the Rega Elys2 Cartridge back in 2008 to complement the P3.

floydlgd

Jan 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi Margetti,

5'm in exactly the same boat as you! I got a systemdek off ebay a couple of weeks ago and need a rega arm! I am cuttently waiting to hear back from a fairly reliable source for bargains so if he comes up trumps I'll let you know!!

Good luck

Nik

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
floydlgd:
Hi Margetti,

5'm in exactly the same boat as you! I got a systemdek off ebay a couple of weeks ago and need a rega arm! I am cuttently waiting to hear back from a fairly reliable source for bargains so if he comes up trumps I'll let you know!!

Good luck

Nik

Cheers! Frustrating isn't it - new toy and absolutely nothing you can do with it! But from what I keep readign it should be well worth the wait. I'm hoping something will come through tomorrow for me, which will make for a very busy and enjoyable Easter. If it doesn't, the Systemdek will have to stay in the box for a wee while longer
emotion-6.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts