Rega - Arm height spacer or not?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It seems like the Rega advise is to avoid a spacer, their cartridge height is 14 mm while others use 16 mm. I would prefer not to rebuild the platter. Any input?

On a turntable forum the general view seemed to be better leave without spacer and have a higher cartridge sitting slightly 'uphill' than try to get the VTA perfect.

Read up about VTA as some argue it is absolutely critical and getting it right is the holy grail of TT use, while others (including Rega's designer, Mr Roy Gandy) say it varies so much between discs and with warps etc that it is mostly irrelevant. This is thought provoking:-

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

Unless you have a very tall cartridge, I'd leave well alone!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
I would prefer not to rebuild the platter.

Eh ? .

Anyways, if you adhere to Mr Gandys preachings you are stuffed all ends up when it comes to tweaking VTA. Its all very well following Mr Pianos thoughts but..............

Some carts can be quite heavy in the bass dept so your mids and highs will get swamped out. Without any form of vta adjustment you will be stuck with what you get, so to speak. Origin Live is your saviour here. You can get a threaded vta adjuster (self explanatory) or for the fangled three point fixing they do a stepped adjuster. Go over to OLs site for a butchers.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks NopiaNo and Droid,

thinking about changing the platter wool mat to a thinner one instead. Calculating the angle, I agree that VTA probably does not matter. A Benz Micro MC would be fun to test on my Rega RP3.

Cheers

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
NHL, calculating the angle is all well and good. But what you dont know is if the lump of coal is set correctly. Good that you have put some thought into vta though. So off you go to OL :)

T

the record spot

Get a spacer and put it on. I needed one for my AT440MLa cartridge when it went on the P3. Some hifi shops sell them and coincidentally, I bought mine from high end shop, Walrus Audio in London. Think it was about £1, true value nearer a tenth of that I suspect, but it was worth it for the chat and a look round the place!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts