Rega Apollo CD player with Denon 3805 av amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am auditioning a rega Apollo CD player which i want to partner with a denon 3805 av receiver but someone has mentioned that the Rega is to good for the amp which i am replacing with the Onkyo SR875, what do other people think, and what else should i audition, i dont want to pay for the rega if i wont get the benefit.

John Duncan

Hi Smanley - I'll expand on my thoughts since it was I who voiced the heresy in the first place.

In my experience, the benefits of a 600 CD player over, say, a 300 player are subtle (ie not night and day, when comparing the best at their price levels) even when played through an amp (or speakers) designed first and foremost to produce high fidelity stereo.

Whilst AV receivers can undoubtedly make quite a good fist of stereo (my Yamaha among them), they come with inevitable compromises - you're paying for an awful lot of electronics which mean that they have to be jacks of all trades and will not wring the best out of high quality stereo source components. I therefore argue that if you're going to put a CD player through it, your AV amp is going to stunt it anyway, so you might hear no difference between it and a 250 quid Cambridge. Best example of this is that the noise floor (hiss, hum etc) is higher on my AV amp (I presume because of all that trickery) than on my stereo one.

I think it would be worth your while taking your Denon with you to hear the Apollo through it, and comparing it both with a cheaper CD player (sadly you won't be able to audition a Cambridge in a Rega shop - borrow one if you can!) and to the sound you'd get with a comparable stereo amplifier - for example, Rega's previous Planet and Mira combo were the most *fun* (whilst not strictly neutral) I'd heard in a long time, but the player became a pale shadow of itself when played through my Yamaha - harsher treble, soundstaging disappeared, blah blah.

But above all, trust your ears - if the Rega sounds better (350 quid better is your call), it is, and you can safely ignore me.

cheers

JD

A

Anonymous

Before completely giving up on the idea, do two tests.
(1) Connect Rega to your amp using analouge connection and put the amp in "Pure Direct" mode.
(2) Then listen to Rega thru your amp and then thru a similarly price stereo amp.
That should give you an answer.

A

Anonymous

I auditioned the rega with my denon and it blew away everyone else cd players and bought it. I am using van den hul d102 111 analogue interconects, should i stick with these or look more upmarket

Any ideas.

John Duncan

[quote user="smanley"]
I auditioned the rega with my denon and it blew away everyone else cd players and bought it. I am using van den hul d102 111 analogue interconects, should i stick with these or look more upmarket

Any ideas.
[/quote]

There goes my theory then
emotion-1.gif

But to answer your actual question, I think your van den huls are perfectly good enough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts