Refitting House

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I hope someone can give me some advice I'm in the present of refitting my house and I'm trying to acheive the following.

I already have a Bose Lifestyle 48 system installed in my house but I'm trying to tidy everything up

I want three tv's installed, and on each TV I want the following Access to the internet/ PC, SKY HD, I would like a hard drive which I could download all my DVD and Blueray's to and then be able to choose which movie to watch via the TV's. The sound would be handled by the Bose. If possible I would like the three TV's to watch any of the options above.

Is this possible or am I living a pipe dream?

Thanks

Flyingboy

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
Most of what you want to achieve is possible but there are *many* ways of achieving this and it depends on how much money you have to spend as much as anything else. This also requires a certain amount of planing and thought so get a pen and pad as you start to plan it out.

Whichever way you want to deal with it, you need an area for most of the equipment to be centrally located. This could be your loft, a basement or a cupboard but you'll have to take ventilation / cooling into consideration if there ends up being a lot of kit in a small space. It may even be worth considering buying a proper rack unit (as seen in computer hub rooms) to house all the equipment if you have the budget and the space.

Once you know where this 'hub room' area will be, you'll need to run some appropriate cables to and from it. At the very least, you will want to run HDMI (or DVI) cables to each TV but be aware of potential issues with long runs of HDMI so do your research and don't skimp on this area. I would advise at least one CAT5e (or even CAT 6) cable to each room but preferably two, three or four to each room to allow you some flexibility. At least one would be to carry any network data if you're attaching media player boxes to each TV (such as the Popcorn Hour units.) It is also possible to run your video signal and mouse / keyboard controls over network cable which is another reason to run more than one network cable to each room.

You say the sound will be handled by the Bose system. I don't know much about it but if you mean it will provide the sound for all three rooms, I assume you intend to get one of the multiroom kits available which look like they use a proprietary link cable. If you want to do this, obviously, you need to get the appropriate cables and run them to the TV locations as well. There are other ways to deal with the sound though which don't involve Bose products

In addition to the above, I personally would always run a minimum of two or three good quality coaxial cables to each TV location, again to allow flexibility in your set ups (and potentially, control of one Sky HD box from each room). While you're at it, run one good quality coaxial cable from your aerial to to the hub room and a further four from the Sky dish to the hub room.

Have a look at this Media Center House to see what can be achieved with some effort and a little forethought. You may want your system to work differently but this guy can essentially do most of what you want to do. Have a read through and be inspired.

Be aware though that this can get very complicated so I have tried to keep things as simple as possible, outlining what you should do at the wiring stage that will still give you different options when you come to set up your system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts