Record cleaning

juhunio

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Dear fellow vinyl heads

On the thorny (is it thorny?) topic of record clearning....

I have built up a collection of around 1800-2000 records (lps, 12s, 7s) over the last 30 years (just turned 40), and there was a period in the dark digital days of the 90's where I am embarrased by how I treated them. Many of them spent a couple of years out in the garage.

As a result, a big chunk of that collection is unplayable on my RP3 - they either sound terrible, look worse, or I jus wouldn't put that Elys anywhere near them

But I want to resurrct them

There's a variety of criminal evidence - some are just dusty, some are proper ingrained dust, some are gritty, some look like they maybe watermarked. I'm guessing damp has infiltrated and stained perhaps.

So, my question is....how to clear them / get them cleaned without having to take out a second mortgage?

Are there any viable/trustworthy liquids available online that with a decent cloth, a bit of patience and some elbow grease, will do the job?

Is there a secret shop for this?

Do you really have to go to the expense of a record clearer, be it the Fisher Price-looking plastic bathtub-type designs, or the more "isn't that just a turntable?" type things

I will invest in brand new dust covers for the whole lot too - so again, any cost effective tips for buying a few hundred of them will be well received.

Cheers!

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
If buying an expensive cleaning machine is beyond your budget, I would but a Knosti Disco-Antistat.

You will undoubtedly run out of the fluid quite quickly with so many records to clean, but don't more of the fluid, because it's very expensive, and there is a home brew replacement available for much less money, which is just as good.

I cleaned over a thousand records with mine but it's a very labour intensive and mundane task, so start with the records you really want to sort out, and go from there.

There are plenty of threads on here on the same subject, but just come back to this one when you need further advice.

First bit of advice I will give is, if the records you are about to clean are really filthy, using the Knosti, clean them with some distilled/de-ionised water first, then move on to the proper cleaning fluid.

I love my Knosti, and the results can be quite staggering, but as I said above, it can be quite laborious.

I've been considering getting this, I think it's about £40?

It looks really good! I know there are much more expensive versions of the same kind of thing, but user reviews look good. You are obviously happy with yours, I think that's something else for my wish list, been spending too much money on vinyl and CDs lately...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

If buying an expensive cleaning machine is beyond your budget, I would but a Knosti Disco-Antistat.

20072010-1050-10_zps3213de3f.jpg

You will undoubtedly run out of the fluid quite quickly with so many records to clean, but don't buy more of the fluid, because it's very expensive, and there is a home brew replacement available for much less money, which is just as good.

I cleaned over a thousand records with mine but it's a very labour intensive and mundane task, so start with the records you really want to sort out, and go from there.

There are plenty of threads on here on the same subject, but just come back to this one when you need further advice.

First bit of advice I will give is, if the records you are about to clean are really filthy, using the Knosti, clean them with some distilled/de-ionised water first, then move on to the proper cleaning fluid.

I love my Knosti, and the results can be quite staggering, but as I said above, it can be quite laborious.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

MeanandGreen said:
I've been considering getting this, I think it's about £40?

It looks really good! I know there are much more expensive versions of the same kind of thing, but user reviews look good. You are obviously happy with yours, I think that's something else for my wish list, been spending too much money on vinyl and CDs lately...

I have seen it for around £35 in the past, but I can't remember where.

You wouldn't regret buying it, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with BigBern, the Knosti is a really good buy. It is labour-intensive as it's manual, but unless you're prepared to stump up at least ten times the price for an electric RCM, it's your best bet. A cloth and solution would do little more than smear the dirt around the record surface. You need something which will lift the dirt off the surface, which the Knosti does.

I'll make a couple of suggestions in addition to what Bern said:

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
You will undoubtedly run out of the fluid quite quickly with so many records to clean, but don't buy more of the fluid, because it's very expensive, and there is a home brew replacement available for much less money, which is just as good.
Actually, I wouldn't use the supplied solution at all. There are lots of comments on the web from people who have found a white build-up on their stylus after using this solution, so I'd ditch it (or sell it) and use the homebrew (distilled water with either a spoonful of white vinegar and a few drops of dishwasher rinse-aid, or distilled water combined with isopropyl alcohol). Both of these give excellent results with no residue.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I would do the first run-through with tap-water (filtered if you have a Brita-type water filter) with vinegar and rinse-aid, discarding this solution after every few discs. Then run the cleaned records properly through a fresh batch of solution using distilled water, preferably before they've fully dried from the first run. This way you're not using up your distilled water so fast.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Yes to this, with one caveat: practise on a few records you don't particularly care about until you're happy with your technique. I went straight in to my most valuable records, and I think I might have slightly damaged a few of them by trying to 'force' them through the machine too hard - you want to be gentle and let the brushes/solution lift the dirt off rather than scrape it off. So practise a bit, then go for the records you really want to sort out.

There's a long thread specifically about using the Knosti - ah! I thought I didn't have a link, but luckily my browser has rememebered it from the last time I visited it: here it is.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
As others have already stated, you can't buy better for the money with this superb bit of kit!

Currently about £42, varioua sellers on Amazon, inlcudung those with their own sites, such as Divine Audio or Analogue Seduction; have bought from both of these before (always free UK delievry) and always had fast efficient delivery of high quality goods.

I bought mine in 2009 for about £35 from a German website that mainly deals in muscial instruments and DJ supplies. They have an english language version of the site (thomann.de/gb) current price including shipping works out about £38.

Although this is a rather labour-intesive way of cleaning large voulmes of records, it can be quite fun....and the reward of revitalising otherwise unplayable discs is worth it..!

cleggton

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Another fan of the knosti here.

I brew up my own liguid with distilled water, IPA and a small amount of ISOphotol wetting agent. I tend not to bother with a disteilled water rinse as I don't really think it gets in the grooves.

For cleanish (I.e. new or looking clean) reecords i will put through no more than 7 to a batch of fluid. I will save this only just dirty water.

For filthy records, I will pass them through this used water, no more than 7 for a batch ( the water is really dirty then) and then pass them through clean fluid before putting them in new sleves.

I'm really happy with the results. I have considered buying a RCM, but am not convinced that brushing the fluid on will get quite as deep as the water bath.

The only one that seems to offer anything more is the audio desk ultrasonic cleaner, but that is 2 grand !!

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
One more vote for the Knosti. I'm slowly working my way through my collection, and it certainly has improved the sounds.

I've also tried rotating the discs anti-clockwise, on the assumption that as the record rotates clockwise, reverse rotation may offer better cleaning, but the jury's still out, as it is regarding the speed of rotation, whether slow is better than fast. Using the arrows on one side of the clamp as reference, I give ten rotations for each disc, but more than happy to take advice. The rack holds ten discs, so as most of my discs aren't very dirty I clean in batches of ten, which takes around half an hour. The kit includes a funnel and filter papers, presumably for re-using the fluid, but I think the general feeling is to discard fluid after each use?

As the records seem ok after air drying, I've not tried vacuum drying, but am going to give it a go soon. I guess that it can remove particles which are in suspension in the cleaning fluid, rather than just dry discs faster.

I also bought some Record Revirginiser to try, as it allegedly deep-cleans the groves, and can remove dirt particles which wet cleaning can't. I used it on one disc, and there seemd less noise, but haven't tried it again, as it takes a long time to dry, between 4 - 12 hours, depending on temperature, and will be better on warm, dry days. It's not cheap, but will treat around 25 sides, so best used on special vinyl.

Your collection will keep you occupied for some time to come, I feel, but the results will justify the time and cost. Have fun.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

juhunio

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Milo_Myage said:
Though the idea of cleaning 2000 records with it would be a daunting one. That's going to take a good long while to get through. Remember it's important once they're clean to keep them that way, new poly lined inner sleeves are a must.

Mine came from here http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/en/product/345296/Disco-Antistatic-Record-Cleaner?queryFromSuggest=true Postage isn't included but it still might be the best price.

yup, just ordered one of these from Amazon for £38 delivered, plus 100 new poly lined paper sleeves. Should be enough to a) get me going b) deal with the worst cases and c) develop mild RSI

cheers, Matt

Mr Giblets

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
daytona600 said:
Another vote for the Knosti here!!

I too ,bought a second 'bath ' minus the wheel and other stuff and use the 2 in the sink.

Biggest job is keeping the label dry ,because if you get fluid inside the label it can run down when drying .

I know BBB put his in the drill and spins them clean.

The only down side to it ,is you can get bored very quickly.

But I also have a stack of lp's that had been left in an unheated room for a few yrs and they all have developed a mouldy spots on them , so its nice to get them like new again!

juhunio

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Mr Giblets said:
daytona600 said:
Another vote for the Knosti here!!

I too ,bought a second 'bath ' minus the wheel and other stuff and use the 2 in the sink.

Biggest job is keeping the label dry ,because if you get fluid inside the label it can run down when drying .

I know BBB put his in the drill and spins them clean.

The only down side to it ,is you can get bored very quickly.

But I also have a stack of lp's that had been left in an unheated room for a few yrs and they all have developed a mouldy spots on them , so its nice to get them like new again!

spent the last 5 years living in a damp cold stone cottage and many Lps have picked up the mouldy patches too. Looking forward to putting the knosti to work, glad to hear it will deal with the mouldy stuff

Michael Earl

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I used to have the knosti and I must admit it was a great little peice of kit. I was then fortunate to get a second hand Moth MKII ona well known auction site for just over £200.

I use Lart Du Son with the Moth and I got to admit its the best thing I ever bought. Quicker than the Knosti, less fiddly and infinitly better at getting rid of crud. The LDS is paramount to the though. Together they are worth it.

If you can get an RCM I recommend it. LDS is not expensive either really. Look past the price per bottle as it will last you ages and ages.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Look on the bright side. As you clean them, you can listen to them and enjoy them all once again, a few at a time.

And, if you decide you don't, after all, like some as much as you thought you did, at least they'll be clean when you sell them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts