record cleaning

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
After spending the last week deliberating about how to clean my vinyl, this morning I came to the conclusion that I am massively over-thinking this. When it comes down to it, as long as whatever I use to clean it is of a softer construction than the vinyl, I'm not going to scratch it.

So, using a small sponge, a drop of washing up liquid and some warm water, I cleaned my vinyl - Pearl Jam 'Vs', that turned up this morning and was full of crackles. I used one of my scrims (a super absorbant cloth used for window cleaning) from work to completely remove all the fluid after the cleaning. It worked nicely, there's much less crackle now.

I tried it again on my Eagles - Hotel California, Which turned up with food stuck on it. Nice. It cleaned up lovely and sounds great.

Sometimes I think we, as audiophiles, make things far more complicated than they need to be!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
bretty:

Sometimes I think we, as audiophiles, make things far more complicated than they need to be!

Isn't that just the case.

By the way, did you clean the LP in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction?.
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Ha Ha! You know, you nearly had me there!

That's the exact kind of rubbish that i'm talking about though!

It's good to cut through all the bologna, and just enjoy the music, right?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
bretty:

No!!! I enjoy the obfuscation and alchemical ritual of it all.

Well, I did before I had a cacophony of children to all but banish any such vinyl indulging fripperies.

Now, when the little ones are all asleep and in the small window before I do too, vinyl is whacked on the Roksan with something approaching reckless abandon. At least in comparison to the pre-play pantomime I used to favour.

So yes, you're right, just enjoy the music. And the pops et al.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:bretty:

No!!! I enjoy the obfuscation and alchemical ritual of it all. Well, I did before I had a cacophony of children to all but banish any such vinyl indulging fripperies.Now, when the little ones are all asleep and in the small window before I do too, vinyl is whacked on the Roksan with something approaching reckless abandon. At least in comparison to the pre-play pantomime I used to favour. So yes, you're right, just enjoy the music. And the pops et al.

I'm holding on to my liberty by my fingernails, but I know the sprogs will come at some point, to ruin my fun and empty my wallet.

That Roksan is a great looking deck. How's it sound?

I'm already planning a deck upgrade for just after Christmas. So far, im interested in the Roksan Radius 5.2, Clearaudio Emotion SE, Clearaudio Concept, Pro-Ject 6 Perspex and Mitchell Gyrodec SE. So far, i'm only going by aesthetics, i'll have to demo later in the yewar to narrow it down. What would your choice be. The Roksan?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Clicky

Nah, not for me, Johnny. Looks like a faff. I can't imagine those goats hair brushes get much grime off, either. Doing it by hand, I can clean and dry a disc in two minutes and I know it's properly cleaned. I don't have to wait for the disc to drip dry, either.

That's a good price on Amazon, though, for those who want it.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:

Nah, not for me, Johnny. Looks like a faff. I can't imagine those goats hair brushes get much grime off, either. Doing it by hand, I can clean and dry a disc in two minutes and I know it's properly cleaned. I don't have to wait for the disc to drip dry, either.

Oh Bretty you cynic! I've got one of these and the amount of c**p this thing removes is well worth a little bit of faffing, honest
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

bretty:

It'll kick tap water's -rse, buddy...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

Oh Bretty you cynic! I've got one of these and the amount of c**p this thing removes is well worth a little bit of faffing, honest
emotion-5.gif

I am getting cynical! I'm becoming a grumpy old man.

Seriously, though, I'm liking the hands-on nature of this vinyl hobby and physically cleaning the discs with my hands I enjoyed as part of that. Also, I know what i'm like for fads and I know I would buy the 'Nosti', use it once or twice and then it would be resigned to the cupboard/graveyard where the food processor, smoothie maker, rowing machine and cross trainer live, never to be seen again.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I've just cleaned my worst disc: Michael Jackson - Thriller. This was basically unlistenable. Horrible. I gave it a good old scrub, with a wetter sponge and more washing up liquid than I used on the other discs today. Dried it with the scrim and gave it a play. The best analogy I can think for what happened is that the stylus was a potato peeler and the record was a potato. Big, curling trails of gunk were pushed up in front of the stylus. I got rid of them at the end of each track with the stylus brush. This disc has transformed from a bin jobbie to damn close to flawless. Nice.

Antistat, Smantistat! I'll stick to me 'Fairy' and elbow grease!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
bluenose:I've got the ProJect perspex coming soon, when I get used to it I'll have a stab at describing it for you

That would be great. The Perspex 6 and the Roksan are my favourites, so far.

By the way, well done on your purchase, you lucky beggar!

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
could have got it yesterday but didnt fancy setting the cart so its staying in the shop for another week until the bloke gets back off holiday

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
bluenose:could have got it yesterday but didnt fancy setting the cart so its staying in the shop for another week until the bloke gets back off holiday

I don't blame ya. Cart fitting and alignment looks tricky.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I feel for that stylus of yours Bretty it could be coming in for some stick! There can be a lot of gunk in those old vinyl grooves and watching those records spin may have adverse effects!
I not saying it will but all that gunk coming out must be damp and in time may leave your cart or stylus with rust deposits. I'm enjoying your enthusiasm but it may be worth drying the discs a bit more.

Enjoy.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Bretty ,

If you do go for the Roksan I would be very interested to see what you think of it as I am contemplating changing my Rega Planar3 next year , and the Radius 5.2 is at the top of my list of possible replacements .At the moment the only other turntable on the list is a VPI Aries Scout , but that is significantly more and I don't reckon the "Boss" would wear the extra money being spent on such a luxury . Especially as I have a house to finish rebuilding .

I enjoy reading what you have to say about your new found love of vinyl as your enthusiasm is infectious . Keep it up ,

Nick

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shooter69:I feel for that stylus of yours Bretty it could be coming in for some stick! There can be a lot of gunk in those old vinyl grooves and watching those records spin may have adverse effects!I not saying it will but all that gunk coming out must be damp and in time may leave your cart or stylus with rust deposits. I'm enjoying your enthusiasm but it may be worth drying the discs a bit more.Enjoy.

I agree with you Shooter, the stylus has had a rough day!

i'm seeing the stylus as collateral damage on this cart. I don't want to damage it, but if I do, it's not the end of the world as i'm replacing it in a few weeks anyway. I am powering everthing down after playing each disc and gently dabbing the stylus with a microfibre cloth, so any moisture should be removed. Maybe? Hopefully?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad:
Bretty ,

If you do go for the Roksan I would be very interested to see what you think of it as I am contemplating changing my Rega Planar3 next year , and the Radius 5.2 is at the top of my list of possible replacements .At the moment the only other turntable on the list is a VPI Aries Scout , but that is significantly more and I don't reckon the "Boss" would wear the extra money being spent on such a luxury . Especially as I have a house to finish rebuilding .

I enjoy reading what you have to say about your new found love of vinyl as your enthusiasm is infectious . Keep it up ,

Nick

Cheers, Nick. Will do!

I'm going to have to google the VPI, I haven't heard of it. The Roksan, though is beautiful looking though, isn't it?

EDIT: that VPI is cool. I prefer the look of the Roksan, though.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Just another quick word on 'Thriller'

I'm giving it another play, after the 'potato peeling' session. What a brilliant pressing! This disc is the first vinyl to make me do the smug 'Man, I got a great system' smile that my CDP makes me do. I'm hearing Jackson do little backing vocal riffs and even him do faint finger clicks for about thirty seconds during 'Billie Jean'.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I also prefer the look of the Roksan but I was looking at the Scout before I started taking notice of the Radius . I also fancied the VPI turntable because it is not that common over here and is slightly exotic . Of course , I haven't heard either of them so my judgement , so far , is purely based on looks.

Nick

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I think the looker of the bunch is the Classic with its walnut plinth and alley platter, very nice.

1271526501_classic1_w390_h390.jpg

They are very honest sounding turntables, solidly built and the JMW tonearm is sweet. No tweaking, once its set up its a good un.

Match 'em with a Dynavector cart and you'll love every minute.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Shooter,

I've just read your sig and, apart from Cardas, Kimber and Russ Andrews I don't know what anything is! What's what in the sig?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Chord cpm3300, VPI super scout master with dynavector cart, musical fidelity nu vista 3dcd, dynavector p75 phono stage, totem mani 2 signatures and isotek mini sub.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts