Recommended reading on classical music?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With my system settled for the foreseeable future (he said hopefully, with an eye on his bank account), I'd like to get a bit more familiar with classical music. I've been listening to a lot of it lately, mainly because with the Pro-ject/Grado combi I have discovered the beauty of the albums I do have (Handel, Beethoven, Schubert among others).

The problem is I don't really know where to start. That's why I'm looking for a good introductory book on classical music. I hope Andrew and other knowledgeable people can give me some hints here. (Oh, countering the obvious suggestion: Gramophone is very hard to get by where I live). Thanks in advance!

Jack

A

Anonymous

alien123:

100 CDs for Building Your Library

http://classicstoday.com/features/100cds.asp

Thank you, that seems to be a useful list. The reason I asked about a book is that I'd like to know a little more about the different periods/genres, composers etc. So any pointers there would be welcome as well.

Jack

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much JD and Andrew. The Gramophone Guide is available here, so that's a good starting point.

A

Anonymous

Andrew: thank you very much for the Fry book as well. I've ordered it right away. Any more hints much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jack,

I enjoyed reading "The music of man" by Yehudi Menuhin and Curtis W. Davis. It's more on the history of music, mainly classical of course. Pbbly out of print by now, mine is from a 2nd hand bookshop, too.

Tamas

TRENDING THREADS