Recommendations for cart for my RP1 needed

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, try again i guess..

Seemed to have the platter sitation in hand so now need a recommendation for a cart for my RP1. Currently have an Elys2 on it which works and sounds very nice. But with me spinning lp's 5-6 hours a day it won't be long till the stylus is toast so would like to start saving up now for a replacement. Can get an orginal Elys for about $60 but it has unknown hours on it :( My local Rega dealer really likes the Denon Dl-110 and 160. Would love to hear from folks here on what your recommendations are...with the exception of MC's as my phono pre does not support them and i do not want to change it up.

thanks!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Nagaoka MP-110, far superior to the Elys2 IMO.

I bought one as a spare and am surprised how nice it is - cheaper than an Elys 2 also!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you play 5hours/day you must be happy with the sound. I would probably just get a like for like replacement.

As an alternative to Steves Naga recommendation (I haven't used that particular cartridge) consider the usual suspects; Ortofon red, Audio Technica AT95 and Shure M97xe.

The Ortofon sound is, imo, not 'bright' contrary to popular belief but is focused, peppy and evenly balanced, musically engaging only lacking a wide soundstage (depth is v/g). The AT sound has better stereo separation but less focus/depth. The Shure has a slight upper bass lift and treble roll-off, it is a more 'comfortable' listen but may leave you wanting some treble detail depending on your amplification/speakers. This can be rectified to some extend if you have a phono stage which allows loading.

regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
As an alternative to Steves Naga recommendation (I haven't used that particular cartridge) consider the usual suspects; Ortofon red, Audio Technica AT95 and Shure M97xe.

As you can't really demo a cart, it is just literally a case of suck it and see, Keith put me onto the Nagaoka as he knows I was finding the 10x5 a little forward. If your happy with the Elys2 then great, its not a bad cart and I enjoyed it on my old RP3 but having heard the Nagaoka in 'my' system I really like the relaxed presentation.

Again its all about how your phono interacts with the Carts loading/output etc.

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts! I have read some nice things about the Nagaoka, in fact i even have a pair of their cables around here someplace:dance: Anyway, will do some research on that one and think more about that used Elys. Nobody with thoughts on the Denon stuff?

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Sigh, incredibly important audio question being asked here and all you can think about is your stomach?? How rude! How crude! C'mon to think of it, i do feel a little peckish :rofl:

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Ok , you have an RP1 so lets not go silly here.

Nagaoka as already mentioned.

Grado Prestige Silver perhaps.

Goldring 2100/2200

Cant help you regs the Denon high outputs im afraid , their low output coils I could.

Each to their own but I disagree with Drummerman regarding the Ortofon Red.

Its difficult recommending carts due to the vagries of set ups and lugholes. It sortof depends what presentation you hope to achieve , bit laid back , lively, bit of both , get my drift here ?. :)

I dont do Breakfast .

stevebrock said:
Nagaoka MP-110, far superior to the Elys2 IMO.

I bought one as a spare and am surprised how nice it is - cheaper than an Elys 2 also!

This is perfect example of system matching. The Elicit-R is a lively thing and needs a taming component. Probably be an ideal fit for the Leema. Had the ClearAudio when had the Arcam, but the Leema is considerably more "at it" tonally.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
yep PP the MP-110 has calmed things down and personally prefer it over the Dyn 10X5 so much so that I have moved the 10X5 on. I like the fact you can bolt on the MP-200 stylus with the Boron Cantilever which is supposed to give a bit more seperation in the mid-band.

stevebrock said:
yep PP the MP-110 has calmed things down and personally prefer it over the Dyn 10X5 so much so that I have moved the 10X5 on. I like the fact you can bolt on the MP-200 stylus with the Boron Cantilever which is supposed to give a bit more seperation in the mid-band.

By the look of it should bolt onto the Pro-ject okay.

BTW, how are the Totems?

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Floyd droid

Yep, my error in not going farther in depth in what i am trying to achieve and with what equipment..

First off the Denon's are high-output MC's so no problem using most MM stages..

2nd, my RP1 is running into a Lounge Preamp with LCR RIAA Correction, Jolida JD1501RC Integrated with Hytron 12AX7 tubes with Vienna Acoustics Classic Bach speakers. To my ears it sounds very nice. I prefer a warmer laid back sound, thus my enthusiasm for the "British" sound that started with DM5's through REGA Planar 3 with Grace F9E Ruby to Rogers LS35/A's and Mission and KEF and on and on :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Blimey , somebody with a set up I could probably actually listen to for more than 30 seconds. Yup I know the Denons are High Output and they are an unknown quantity to me , I've had the DL103 just to hear what the fuss was all about and that lasted all of a couple of hrs ( not for me charlie) and the DL304 which is actually pretty good but of no use to you either , but thats by the by.

Going by your post I reckon the Naga would suit you Sir.

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Floyd

Why thank you, thank you very much! for the kind words on my system! It suits me well and i guess in the long run that's what counts :) Will be on the search now for a USA source for the Naga at a decent price:dance:

starkiller

May 11, 2009
Visit site
http://www.needledoctor.com/Nagaoka

http://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAMP110.html

[/quote]

Chebby

Thanks for those links...i had already seen those but am hoping my local Rega dealer can somehow 'SOURCE' the Naga for me :)

Floyddroid

Yes, at least to me, there is very much a "british" sound. My first pair of good speakers, other then EPI 100's was a set of DM5's, i loved those things! Then further down the line came the LS35/A's which i also loved. I just prefer a laid -back but still detailed sound i guess.

TRENDING THREADS