Recommendations for a new Media Player

idc

As a way to get out from the problems I have been having with itunes and since I really like the sound of Spotify which uses Ogg Vorbis, is there a media player which can handle both Ogg Vorbis and ipod friendly files? I am quite prepared to re-download my entire CD collection. Ideally it would be a media player that has playlist and artwork facilities. Perfect would be one that made a copy of an ipod friendly format, which can be AAC. It does not have to be lossless. I could then retain itunes, so I can still keep the facility for download purchases.

I am not stuck to only doing Ogg Vorbis, as much as I like it. If there is a media player which can easily and efficiently do the above in another format, I'll have a look and listen.

Some out loud thoughts - if I have two media players, with my entire CD collection on both I will more or less double the memory I need. Also, will it not risk confusing and overloading the already getting on a bit laptop?

Thanks.

EDIT - changed the title to something a bit more snappy.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Well, foobar2000 will support Vorbis and Apple lossess (ALAC). It has playlist and artwork facilities.

There's also a component called foo_dop which is an iPod manager. I don't have an ipod, so can't comment on whether this is any good or not. Recommend that you have a read of some of the documentation first. Find your first port of call here.

Hope this helps.

idc

Thanks PJPro. After posting the above I started my own search and soon found that you are the person with the most experience of Media Players. So have you have settled with foobar2000 alone, or do you still use others?

I am coming round, for simplicity sake to using WMP for the albums that cause me the most problems. When I moved folders from the HD to the laptop and into itunes, I did not notice at first that some of them went to WMP instead and so I transfered them again into itunes. So 'Filmtales' is on WMP with no crackles and I can listen to it there.

But if foobar offers a means of directly replacing itunes whilst still allowing use of an ipod, ideal.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I use foobar2000 for music. I use WMP for streaming video and pictures.

The problem you're gonna have with me is that I don't own an iPod. I am unable to comment from experience of the merits (or difficulties) of using foobar2000 with an iPod. You'll have to convince another iPod owner to travel that road with you or trail blaze for others.

Alternatively, you could buy me one.....but I'd only be interested in the classic ;-)

idc

As much as I would love to do so, I cannot get you an ipod, nor can I risk mucking up the laptop again trailblazing for others! I had a look at the foo_pod through Foobar and the first thing it linked to was advice not to use it?! Also, having looked at Foobar, its quite techy. The home page and FQs are full of jargon, the complete opposite of itunes.

So at the moment, I am going to use WMP to play the crackling tracks from itunes. So I need to go back and put itunes back to how I had it and identify all of the cracklers. At the moment I can't be bothered, primarily because Spotify sounds so good I use it 90% of the time now. Have you tried Spotify?

Thanks again PJ.

A

Anonymous

I use Foobar plus a standalone iPod manager called Yamipod (www.yamipod.com). In addition to having the advantage of being free, it is also a non-installing application, so won't clog up your computer. Simple, stripped down and supports drag and drop file transfer.

nads

Ok what about throwing a curve ball here.

Actually buy a Mediaplayer like a Squeezebox?

for spotify you use the spotify program as before, stream your current files to the Hifi with the Squeezebox (it covers most audio files) and carry on with itunes for the iPod.

A

Anonymous

Try MediaMonkey. It can play any music file imaginable and it's free. I use it all the time. I would rather flatten my manhood with a brick than use Itunes. Give it a go. It's got loads of great features.

I listen to all my music via Mediamonkey. I output the music from my sondcard to my AV reciever via optical. My soundcard outputs 24 bit 192khz which my Denon converts. Sounds pretty good to me! Can't be bothered with CDs any more. I listen to all my CDs in FLAC format (lossless) through Mediamonkey. Took me a while to put all the CDs on my hard disk but well worth it.

Anyway that's my 2p's worth...

idc

Tractorboy and Nads thanks for the suggestions. Frankieboy Frankieboy:

....... I would rather flatten my manhood with a brick than use Itunes....... welcome to the forum
emotion-21.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Given the number of iTunes devotees on this forum, I'm slightly surprised that a solution hasn't been found. Seems like using another media player for certain tracks is a bit of a swine and hardly a viable workaround.

If I couldn't get iTunes sorted, then I'd have to bin it.

I still think there's something missing here. Some vital piece of information. Something linking the dodgy tracks. I don't know. But it's gotta be something.

idc

Update as the the plan;

Spotify (the best hurrah!) becomes default music when on laptop.

WMP becomes second laptop music player for the cracklers off itunes and stuff not on Spotify like King Crimson, Pink Floyd etc. I am presently importing music as we speak.

Itunes is now relegated to use with the Bose Sounddock and ipods when out and about, in car, visiting relatives who have a magnificent shed (summer house) and holidays.

Having read up on all of the various media players and played about a bit have have gone with WMP. It is already installed and ready to go and with WAV sounds great to me. Many thanks for the other recomendations.

Another reason for going down this route is that I cannot bare ditching itunes. I want it to work, I want to find (with a lot of help!) a fix to the crackling problem and fix it. If that ever happens, I will stop using WMP and go back to itunes with Spotify as was the original plan. Heres hoping.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:If it didn't break copyright laws, I'd suggest posting your files somewhere for others to listen...
That would be the next logical step. Got any mates?

John Duncan

PJPro:JohnDuncan:If it didn't break copyright laws, I'd suggest posting your files somewhere for others to listen...
That would be the next logical step. Got any mates?

Clearly not, seeing as he sent it to me
emotion-2.gif

idc

Sorry, this saga is now over two threads. I use a Dell Inspiron 1300 and the wife has a Dell Inspiron 6400, which when I tried files on the itunes on that it crackled too.

PS - I have loads of friends (greatly offended by that suggestion
emotion-5.gif
) , just none have the passion or enthusiasm for hifi we all have. I have asked about, but just got blank looks and similar suggestions to the ones we have already come up with. The one real computer expert I knew is sadly no longer with us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts