Recommendations - a relaxed, warm sounding amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have recently had to return a Rega Mira as I found the sound too bright, a bit flat and rather clinical. This was surprising as I thought it had a reputation as being laid back. The hi-hats sounded as if they were the main instrument in even relaxed music and it was fatigiuing after more than half an hour. I even let it run in for a few days but to no avail.

I' now back to my old amp, a Fatman Carbon, which gives a warm and musical sound.

However, I am still in the market for an upgrade. Surely there's a midfi amp that can offer a bit more drive and detail - and beat what is essentially a £150 iPod dock?! Any recommendations?

Has anyone tried one of the more expensive Fatman models? (Although I'm now slightly hesitant to buy an amp without tone controls to fall back on...)

Cheers,

James

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Years ago i went to Sevenoaks to demo different make amps from a roster of WHF favorites. I cant remember the models but the lineup included Marantz, denon, exposure and nad. The only amp that sounded warm and an easy listen was the Nad.

Dont know if that helps but good luck.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Hoarse:Hi there, budget is approx £600.

Yamaha A-S700 (£499) by all accounts laid-back and smooth. (Qualities that counted against it in the WHF review, but you might appreciate.)

From my own experience... Arcam A18 (around £600 - £650). Also warm and laid back. Not to my taste, but you might love it.

The Yamaha A-S700 and Arcam A18 both have a (moving magnet) phono input for your turntable.

Both amps have tone controls.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Nad or 2nd hand Arcam. See my signature for a warm recommendation...
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:It would perhaps be a good idea to look at speakers too even if you can't afford to upgrade everything at once.

Yes I just noticed those too.

If you want to keep your speakers small, but also want quality commensurate with a £600 amp, then (given your desire for warm and relaxed) the Spendor S3/5Rs would I think be good partners to seek out for demo.

matthewpiano

The A18 isn't as warm and laid back as you'd think. Its actually a spritely little thing with plenty of punch and pace without ever getting bright or difficult to listen to. For the first couple of weeks of having it I worried that it might be on the overly soft sounding side, but with use things have opened up beautifully. This may be due to the B&Ws running in rather than anything changing on the amp (the 600 series speakers seem to be notorious for taking a while to come on song), although a quick comparison with a Cambridge Azur 650A very recently showed me what an excellent line of neutrality the A18 walks.

It will certainly sound more composed than Rega. I also tried the Brio 3 before I purchase the Arcam and the Brio sounded harsh, poorly controlled and lacking in depth in comparison to the A18.

I'd highly recommend an audition.

chebby:

drummerman:It would perhaps be a good idea to look at speakers too even if you can't afford to upgrade everything at once.

Yes I just noticed those too.

If you want to keep your speakers small, but also want quality commensurate with a £600 amp, then (given your desire for warm and relaxed) the Spendor S3/5Rs would I think be good partners to seek out for demo.

I wouldn't call Spendors warm or relaxing. Sadly, I have to concede that some Arcams (Alphas in particular) are pretty, let's say....spongy in presentation.

The older DIVA range isn't warm but agreeable with Wharfedale speakers. Certainly you could live with Arcam for years and love it: if you want to rock your socks off then look at Roksan Kandy (either MKIII or LIII) or Creek Evo MKII.

A

Anonymous

If it were me I'd look to change the speakers. Definately audition whatever change you make though!

The Spendor S3/5R is a good recommendation. They maintain the BBC sort of attributes of being clear but a little rolled off in the treble, generally very smooth. They might work well with the Mira.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:I wouldn't call Spendors warm or relaxing.

I am referring to the S3/5Rs not SA1s. They are about as different as it is possible to be for similarly sized speakers from the same company.

The S3/5Rs are detailed but very smooth and warm in tone. Not a lot of upper bass clout or 'drive'. Bear in mind that I heard them on the end of a Naim Nait 5i and CD5i* and the Spendors were a quite well run-in demo pair.

*If they can sound warm on the end of that lot, then they are warm.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Hoarse:Hi there, budget is approx £600.

The XTZ Class-A100D3 (£600) features class A amplification, generally thought to be warm sounding.

It also has a phono input (MM & MC) as-well-as five digital inputs feeding a high quality DAC chip (AD1955).

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
I think you would like those Spendors. Had a demo of them once , a little laid back in presentation for me but beautiful on the ear when the guy played some Nina Simone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts