Recommend an external 3TB HDD...........for back up

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi and festive greetings to all forumites,

I've now got the majority of my music collection stored onto a Synology NAS, saved to 2 X 3TB WD Red drives, set up in hybrid RAID, ie mirroring each other.

But from reading various posts, backing up these drives is still recommended.

Therefore I have been looking at a suitable 3TB external HDD, to plug into the back of the Synology.

My options are : WD 3TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive @ £93, USB 2.0

Buffalo 3TB DriveStation Desktop Hard Drive @ £93, USB2.0 or

Toshiba 3TB Stor.E Canvio External Hard Drive - Black @ £112, USB 3.0.

As I don't require the faster transfer speeds of USB 3.0, this is not a factor in choosing. However I chose the above purely on value and known brands, I have had previous experience with.

I am just wondering if people on the forum have any better suggestions or personal experiences, good or bad with the suggested drives/makes ?

Thanks for any help, Richard....

Juzzie Wuzzie

I've used a Buffalo NAS (1TB) for a couple of years now, and it seems to work fine (i.e. no complaints). Like you, I back up (quarterly) to an external HDD that I keep at work - in order to mitigate fire / theft risk. Fundamentally, I just care about my digital photos. i think that is the critical point for you to do as well - as it (touch wood) should be unusual for both your drives to fail at once.

Pricing on your suggestions is much of a muchness, so I wouldn't focus on that.

Bear in mind that only 3 manufacturers in the world make hard drives: Western Digital, Seagate & Toshiba. Whatever HDD you choose, it will be one of the 3 in it. WD & Seagate are more reputed than Toshiba.

Approximate market shares in 2012:

WD - 40%

Seagate - 40%

Toshiba - 15-20%

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tommywilhelm/how-three-hard-drive-companies-gobbled-up-the-indu

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi ziggy47,

Not sure if you're still looking/yet to purchase but I can recommend the 3tb WD Elements. I have two that I use to back up my pictures, music and video and haven't had any problems with them. I also connect one of them to a WD live TV hub which, in turn, is connected to my TV. This allows me to browse the files and view them on my TV

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts