Recommend an amp for Q-Accoustics 2020i

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi

My current system comprises a Yamaha RX-A3010 AV receiver, a mixture of Q-Accoustics 2010i and 2020i's, Sony BDP-350 blu-ray player, BenQ W6000 projector, Project Debut III turntable and a home media centre which I built myself.

I'm happy with the AV side of things and have reached a happy medium between performance and working round wife/young kids etc. As I have a severely autistic son, I have to make a bit of a comprimise, so I normally have the system in a 5.1 configuration during the day and the 2020i's come out in the evening for either a 7.1 configuration if we are watching movies or bi-amped in pure direct mode for listening to vinyl,

It's a bit of a pain having to re-connect speaker terminals every time the 2020i's come out, especially as everything has to be locked away. As we tend to watch movies with the projector at the weekend and lsiten to vinyl during the week, I am considering the option of buying a separate amp to use with the tuntable and 2020i's, so at least I can leave the speaker cables connected to the back of the amp, when not in use and turned off.

I've been quite pleased with the RX-A3010 in pure direct mode and bi-amped speakers, so would like to get something that wouldn't feel like a backwards step and that would, maybe, compliment the existing system. The turnatable has a ortofon 2m red, so I suspect I've taken the cartridge upgrade route as far as I can with this particular turntable.

Therefore, can anyone recommend an amp for the 2020i's and the turntable? I don't have a budget yet, but £500 would be a good ballpark figure. I also don't mind going down the second hand route either.

Thanks

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My initial thoughts would be something like the Rotel RA-10 or Rega Brio-R. My musical tastes are quite varied so need to be a bit of an all rounder.

matthewpiano

Hi.

It would be useful to know a little more about the music you listen to. Also, do you intend to use any other source (CD or streaming, for example) with the new amp, and do you think you will ever upgrade the turntable or are you happy to stick with what you have?

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My record collection consists of over 1000 LPs going back to the lates 50's to the present day and covering a wide range of genres and all originals (e.g Rock, Blues, Soul, Punk, Disco etc). I do currently stream music from the media server and listen to CD's, but have always preferred vinyl.

I don't plan on changing the turntable with the current system at the moment, but a possibility in the future.

matthewpiano

OK, sounds good - varied musical tastes!

You need an amp that is a good all-rounder and which will complement your excellent speakers.

The Denon PMA720AE works very well with the Q Acoustics and would be a great ultra-affordable option. Nice phono stage too (same as in the Marantz PM6005).

The Marantz PM6005 would offer a bit more, not least in giving you some digital inputs which could help to get the best out of your CDs as a nice bonus. Again, the PM6xxx amps pair very well with Q Acoustics.

The Rotel RA10 has a very good phono stage so is also well worth a listen.

If you want to really push the boat out, the Rega Brio-R would be worth considering as it has an excellent phono stage. Another alternative would be the Exposure 1010, though you would need to invest in an off-board phono stage as Exposure don't include one.

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
In this case my preference would be to concentrate purely on the vinyl and not worry too much about the digital inputs. All the CD's have been ripped to the media server as flac files and get listened to during the day. Once the evening comes and I can sit down, I'll always go for the records.

I would say that the options listed have all come under consideration and adding a phono amp such as a Graham Slee has always been an option. Due to work amd family commitments, it's difficult to go and audition the various options, so it's also a case of finding out what peoples experiences have been. There also isn't anywhere near me, where I could audition the Exposure 1010, although I have heard good things about it.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I use a Pioneer A-30 amp with 2020i speakers. Great match but the q acoustics speakers will work with almost anything I think. Still a big fan of these speakers..............they sound awesome ;)

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I must admit I'm favouring the Rega Brio-R at the moment. Would I be able to connect the pre outs from the RX-A3010 to one of the line inputs on the Brio for listening to Flac files and CD?

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Having given some thought to this, I was thinking that I may be better off getting an integrated amp with ht bypass / unity gain as well. The primary focus of the amp would still be vinyl, but I would then have the option of using the pre-outs from the RX-A3010 for watching movies and listening to flac files etc.

It looks like the Rega Brio-R doesn't have this feature so I was wondering if something like the Denon PMA 720AE or maybe the Yamaha A-S500 with a phono pre-amp such as the Grahmah Slee would be a better option.

What do you think and what would your recommendations be? I know I'm going round the houses a bit, but also want to make the right decision.

Thanks

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I must admit there doesn't seem to be very much written about the Exposure 1010, but what there is seems to indicate that this is a pretty decent amp. It's definitely got my interest and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the Exposure 1010 with Q-Accoustic 2020i's.

I also need to bear in mind that the next step will be an upgrade to the existing turntable, which at the moment looks to be either the Rega RP3 or RP6. Pound for pound, the RP3 looks favourite possibly with a Nakaoka MP-110 over the Elys2, but I'll worry about that later in the year.

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi Matthew

Thank you for the suggestion about the Exposure 1010. Out of interest, do you use a phono pre-amp with the Exposure? and if so, which model.

matthewpiano

I was really putting it forward as an affordable amp that has a fixed gain input rather than directly recommending it. It is extremely capable but I think it is an amp you will need to audition before buying as you may find it too lean for your tastes. I imagine it should sound quite nice with the slightly warm tonal balance of the Q Acoustics speakers but I wouldn't purchase without hearing it first.

I currently use a Cambridge Audio 540P phono stage with mine. Works fine, though I wish the amp had one built in as the extra box does irritate me.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Brio R in my system and a Rega RP3 for one year, for the money there is NO amp in the market that came close to the phono built in the Brio R, and My front speakers had double duties, stereo and AV.

With the pre out on the yamaha there is no worries, just set the sound on the Brio R at 2 o'clock and it will be perfectly tuned with the AV.

My Rega dealer have Q Accoustics as well and IMO they do a better combo that the RS3 do with the Brio R, but that is just me... :roll:

Get the Brio R and just forget the rest! 8)

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
In which case the Brio-R becomes a no brainer :grin: I would have liked to have heard the Exposure, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near to me where I could audition it (if I managed to find the time).

Hi-FiOutlaws comments was just the info I needed to help make my mind up.

Thanks guys :grin:

Jerry64

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Will do. It's probably a couple of months away as I need to complete my half of the deal with my other half :roll: Still, I don't mind being bribed if it means getting my HiFi the way I want it.

Considering all the constraints I have, (autistic son, awkward shaped sitting room etc), I'm pleased with what I have so far and the way it is setup. Which I guess is all that matters :)

Iainbeale

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys just looking for a quick bit of advice. I have ordered a pair of 2020i's to go with my pure i20 and I'm planning to get a project debut turntable. Only problem is I haven't left enough budget for an amp. Can anyone suggest a sub £100 amp that I can pick up second hand until I can afford the rotel. I was looking at a cambridge audio 340a. Hopefully there are some steals to be had.

Iainbeale said:
Hi guys just looking for a quick bit of advice. I have ordered a pair of 2020i's to go with my pure i20 and I'm planning to get a project debut turntable. Only problem is I haven't left enough budget for an amp. Can anyone suggest a sub £100 amp that I can pick up second hand until I can afford the rotel. I was looking at a cambridge audio 340a. Hopefully there are some steals to be had.

As you like Rotel why not look at a entry-level jobby.

Clickety.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts